Rocco deserves the perfect setup; This is where you come in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocco

Hey everyone!

My fiance and I just purchased a small beardie 2 days ago. He is around 6 weeks old by my guess, seeing as how he is right around 5 inches long. He's growing like mad now that he has his own space and his own food, unlike at the store. Here is the run-down on the products we have for our terrarium:

40gal Terrarium
ESU UVB 18" linear bulb w/ fixture
150w ZooMed basking lamp w/ Fluker's 8.5" Clamp Fixture
150w Exoterra HeatGlo Infrared basking light for night temp control
Assorted decorations

Here are some of the questions i have browsed the site for and come up empty handed for:

1.) The HeatGlo 150w infrared bulb. I hear that Reptiglo bulbs are horrid for our beardies eyes, and those bulbs are made by exoterra.... same as this HeatGlo bulb. The pet store guy, we will call him steve, told me that if i bought this bulb I could run it all day and then have the UVB light on during waking hours. This way the UVB light would be the sleep-indicator for the beardie and the infrared could stay on all night to keep the temp up in the tank. I found out about reptiglo bulbs and noticed that this bulb is made by the same people, so i swapped it out for a ZooMed 150w basking light immediately.

The question there is: Is the HeatGlo light ok for our beardies? Is it ok to leave on at night because its infrared, or would that bother the beardie?

2.) UVB lights. I have an ESU UNB light right now, and I plan on ordering a Reptisun 10.0 to pop in it. The thing is, it's an 18" fixture and only covers about half of the tank! Should I get another one to lay across the top on the other side to ensure that Rocco gets all the UVB he needs? As of now, when hes basking, he's only under the ZooMed basking light, and not under the UVB light. I'm under the strong impression that i need ANOTHER UVB light on the other side to make sure he gets what he needs. True? False?

3.) On the same note, the reptisun 10.0 bulbs have a max distance of 20". Thats fine, my tank is only 17" deep, so even with a screen it should get him the UVB he needs, and even more when he is basking around 4 inches higher than the floor. Whats the minimum distance for the reptisun 10.0? I have a reptile hammock set up about 6 inches from the top of the cage, is that enough for him? (keep in mind he is only about 6 weeks old, if that has anything to do with his skins resistance to UV rays)

4.) Tile: I see that tile is the best option for the flooring for my beardie. This is a dumb question, I know, but bear with me. The tile shouldn't be really smooth, i get that, so where should I go to get the right stuff? Would a place like Home Depot work, and if so, do I just have the tiles cut to the dimensions of the floor? Once I lay them in, do I need to put anything in between them to seal them in there? Yes, dumb questions, but i really dont know much on this topic.

That just about covers it for now, I'll be returning my basking bulb for a lower wattage this afternoon, 150 is WAY too hot for him, I have to have the light 6-7" above the terrarium just to get his basking spot to stay around 105.

Thanks for all the help in advance guys, I appreciate it and so does Rocco!

MissT

BD.org Addict
Hey there!
Welcome to being a beardie slave. Im going to attempt to answer all of your questions as fully as possible...so here goes.

Rocco":14fb5 said:
1.) The HeatGlo 150w infrared bulb. I hear that Reptiglo bulbs are horrid for our beardies eyes, and those bulbs are made by exoterra.... same as this HeatGlo bulb. The pet store guy, we will call him steve, told me that if i bought this bulb I could run it all day and then have the UVB light on during waking hours. This way the UVB light would be the sleep-indicator for the beardie and the infrared could stay on all night to keep the temp up in the tank. I found out about reptiglo bulbs and noticed that this bulb is made by the same people, so i swapped it out for a ZooMed 150w basking light immediately.

The question there is: Is the HeatGlo light ok for our beardies? Is it ok to leave on at night because its infrared, or would that bother the beardie?

The exo-terra basking bulbs are fine to use as its the uv output of the repti-glo which causes the issues. However, infrared bulbs (im assuming those are the ones that give off a red glo) shouldnt be used as they can disturb your beardies sleep. You need a bright white basking bulb for day time (a normal household spotlamp is fine) accompanied by the uv strip then, at night, there should be total darkness. You dont need an additional heat source unless night time temps drop below 65F - if you do need additional heat, a ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat is the best option available.

2.) UVB lights. I have an ESU UNB light right now, and I plan on ordering a Reptisun 10.0 to pop in it. The thing is, it's an 18" fixture and only covers about half of the tank! Should I get another one to lay across the top on the other side to ensure that Rocco gets all the UVB he needs? As of now, when hes basking, he's only under the ZooMed basking light, and not under the UVB light. I'm under the strong impression that i need ANOTHER UVB light on the other side to make sure he gets what he needs. True? False?

The UV strip should be BESIDE the basking bulb. You could get a longer bulb to cover the length of the tank which is the best option, however, if you have a smaller tube bulb it will be fine as long as it is on the basking side.

3.) On the same note, the reptisun 10.0 bulbs have a max distance of 20". Thats fine, my tank is only 17" deep, so even with a screen it should get him the UVB he needs, and even more when he is basking around 4 inches higher than the floor. Whats the minimum distance for the reptisun 10.0? I have a reptile hammock set up about 6 inches from the top of the cage, is that enough for him? (keep in mind he is only about 6 weeks old, if that has anything to do with his skins resistance to UV rays)

The bulbs do say max distance of 20" however, the uv output at this distance is not enough. It is best to have the bulb positioned to be 6-8 inches away from your beardie - he should never be any closer than 6 inches away. The screen top also filters out quite a large amount of the UV so it may be a good idea to position the uv strip inside the viv.

4.) Tile: I see that tile is the best option for the flooring for my beardie. This is a dumb question, I know, but bear with me. The tile shouldn't be really smooth, i get that, so where should I go to get the right stuff? Would a place like Home Depot work, and if so, do I just have the tiles cut to the dimensions of the floor? Once I lay them in, do I need to put anything in between them to seal them in there? Yes, dumb questions, but i really dont know much on this topic.

You need something with quite a rough texture - like slate - just walk around feeling the tiles until you find something suitable (thats what I did). Im sure Home Depot will have some available or other tile selling stores so just look around until you find what you want. I did not cut mine to size. Instead, I have non-adhesive shelf liner on the bottom of the viv with the tile on top. THere are about 2 inches at the front of the viv which do not have tile, just the shelf liner - but for some reason this is where the little guy prefers to sleep! If you do get it cut to size make sure there is a space so you can lift the tile out (if you choose not to grout it in) for cleaning. My tiles just sit on top of the shelf liner and I havent had any problems with this!

Hope this helps!

T

Rocco

Original Poster
Thanks a TON!

All of that info really helped out, I appreciate you taking the time to answer each of my questions!

After hearing this I have decided to go with a 100w Megaray MVB for the hot side to take care of the UVA and UVB, plus the basking spot temperature. Seems like a really nice all in one deal there. I will be keeping my current UVB light, the USU Reptile Slimline with the "super UV lamp" bulb and putting it over on the cool side so he gets light and UVB when hes not basking.

The tiling is going to be a future project, maybe after 2-3 months of the paper towels, and I'm not sure if I'm going to grout it in.

Once again,
Thanks for the input!

Todd & Jen
+Rocco!

MissT

BD.org Addict
Be careful with the mega-ray - there are minimum requirements to the size of the viv in which they should be used - I think its either a 30gallon breeder or a 40 gallon breeder - hopefully someone else can come along and confirm this. I dont think you ill need the keep the ESU tho as the megaray's do give off quite a lot of UV - maybe just put a normal flourescent household strip in that fixture for extra brightness in his house!

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom