roaches; suggestions and questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some useful things I've found during my countless hours of scouring
Cheapest egg crates
http://cheapeggcartons.com/products/5x6-xl-filler-flat-w-free-shipping
cheapest crystals I could find
http://www.amazon.com/Medium-absorbing-crystal-polymer-Insect/dp/B0051V40AO/ref=sr_1_2?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1459300978&sr=1-2&keywords=water+crystals
my favorite dubia store
http://store.kfcfeeders.com/products

Okay I've currently got a colony of dubia going. I keep them in a closet that I keep at between 85-95 Degrees all the time. I've only had them about 2 weeks but they were an established colony prior to my purchasing of them. The people who owned them prior to me seem to have started to feed off adult females to decrease population growth. I believe so because there are far less adult females than males and yet there is a bunch of soon to be adult nymphs(a few hundred) but that group is the most abundant, few babies and few smalls to mid. but plenty large and xl. With that in mind I've been debating buying more females to help these gaps.That is until in the last two days I've had at least 3 fresh male morphs and at least one female. Is it worth it to buy more females when most likely a surplus of the nymphs are about to change? I only have 18 females. I put all but 4 males into a separate container and have begun slowly feeding them off. I have somewhere between 100 and 300 in of the larger nymphs in a separate bin hoping for it to be a breeding bin(this is where the fresh morphs appeared for the most part).

I'm trying to get started up as fast as possible because multiple people in the area wish to purchase them from me. I'm also debating starting other feeder colonies but am undecided on what would be best to start. I've been considering things like discoids, red runners, supers, maybe meals?

very undecided on what. my beardy has a food supply and nearly 20 excess males to feed off of as well. So I'm not too worried about his food supply in the meantime. Just looking into what will make me an easiest profit? I'm willing to put in the work, so don't worry about that.

Also was wondering if anyone knew anyone with a colony in south carolina? Wondering if I could offer to buy some without the annoyance of shipping. Only a small amount like 5-10 adult females kinda thing.

so tell me your thoughts concerns and random funnier replies.

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
If you want to have a colony that will both feed your dragon and you want to make some money off of it , you definitely want to buy more females. Most people prefer to keep a 3:1 female male ratio, so if you get a large amount of extra females, maybe spare some of the males.

derangedplanet

Original Poster
oh, also willing to do madagascar hissers but I dont know enough about if people actually buy them as a feeder or what.

derangedplanet

Original Poster
well like I said, there's a few hundred weeks from adulthood nymphs and I already separated out the excess males. I'm just wondering if its even worth it to buy more females when I'll have a bunch probably within in the next two weeks. I would think that being the case it would make more sense to buy smalls to bridge the lack of smalls in the tank.

Rampagingraptor

Sub-Adult Member
As far as I am aware, hissing roaches are alright as feeders, but you have to be careful with them because I believe they can escape easier than dubias.
I also believe you can't feed adult hissers to any size beardies as they grow a crown that is too solid for them to digest.

derangedplanet

Original Poster
so what feeders would you suggest I keep other than dubia? I was thinking things like hissers would be kept similar to how one keeps a snake or a frog. all closed off and the sort. turks are really tempting but some people talk about infestations... I'm uncertain. Also do you need a business license to ship insects?

Rampagingraptor

Sub-Adult Member
Well, Silk worms, BSF larvae (phoenix worms), and Red Runner roaches are all good feeders. Silk worms and BSF larvae can get a bit pricy, though, and silk worms are, IMO, really annoying to take care of.
Red Runners are really nice feeders, but, as the name suggests, they are really fast. They can also be invasive if they escape, so you have to be careful. If you can keep a controlled environment, however, it is very easy to use them as a feeder.

derangedplanet

Original Poster
Well I'd like to say I am good enough to do it, but really seeing live just above Florida, I can see that my Temps would be more than feasible for an infestation. Also; I'd say u have it pretty darn under control... but I have a puppy in my household and just don't honestly believe in bringing bad luck on myself. Haha

Ed707

Hatchling Member
Orange head roaches are another good feeder oprion. Alot of the same things that goes into breeding dubia are the same for orange heads except you offer a protein diet which can be lizard pellets. I just bought some awhile back and my lizard seems to like them.

Nihilist

Hatchling Member
derangedplanet":3isyu8ow said:
Cheapest egg crates
http://www.amazon.com/Medium-absorbing-crystal-polymer-Insect/dp/B0051V40AO/ref=sr_1_2?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1459300978&sr=1-2&keywords=water+crystals
my favorite dubia store

Okay I've currently got a colony of dubia going. I keep them in a closet that I keep at between 85-95 Degrees all the time. I've only had them about 2 weeks but they were an established colony prior to my purchasing of them. The people who owned them prior to me seem to have started to feed off adult females to decrease population growth. I believe so because there are far less adult females than males and yet there is a bunch of soon to be adult nymphs(a few hundred) but that group is the most abundant, few babies and few smalls to mid. but plenty large and xl. With that in mind I've been debating buying more females to help these gaps.That is until in the last two days I've had at least 3 fresh male morphs and at least one female. Is it worth it to buy more females when most likely a surplus of the nymphs are about to change? I only have 18 females. I put all but 4 males into a separate container and have begun slowly feeding them off. I have somewhere between 100 and 300 in of the larger nymphs in a separate bin hoping for it to be a breeding bin(this is where the fresh morphs appeared for the most part).

I'm trying to get started up as fast as possible because multiple people in the area wish to purchase them from me. I'm also debating starting other feeder colonies but am undecided on what would be best to start. I've been considering things like discoids, red runners, supers, maybe meals?

very undecided on what. my beardy has a food supply and nearly 20 excess males to feed off of as well. So I'm not too worried about his food supply in the meantime. Just looking into what will make me an easiest profit? I'm willing to put in the work, so don't worry about that.

Also was wondering if anyone knew anyone with a colony in south carolina? Wondering if I could offer to buy some without the annoyance of shipping. Only a small amount like 5-10 adult females kinda thing.

Every time I look at http://store.kfcfeeders.com/ they are out of stock on what I want to purchase

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
Nihilist":3bi8mik4 said:
derangedplanet":3bi8mik4 said:
Cheapest egg crates
my favorite dubia store

Every time I look at http://store.kfcfeeders.com/ they are out of stock on what I want to purchase

Last time i tried to buy the 2000 small-mediums they were sold out :/

derangedplanet

Original Poster
I've been mostly considering discoids or oranges. Is there anyou particular reason to choose one over the other? I can handle the protein requirement. Just curious on what you guys liked the most. I guess I could always start both.

derangedplanet

Original Poster
My dubia came with cleaner beetles... but how do I clean it out without killing all their babies? Like do I just leave some poop? And what if I wanna breed them for the rest of the tubs I start. Should I just take a bunch of the fras and transfer it into a separate tub with some crystals and food? How does one deal with cleaner beetles... so fricken tiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom