Roaches (ordering online) made the news in Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
The nightly news last night on Fox in the Tampa Bay area had a spot about how reptile owners, mainly bearded dragon owners have been ordering roaches online and to watch out because they have the potential to thrive in our climate. And of course, it showed a bearded dragon trying to get a cricket through the glass.

We are famous now!!

BestRoach

Hatchling Member
They order them, because people ship them. I know several big name breeders who ship to Florida...not knowing (or caring) it could end their business, or at least land them with large fines. I can understand a private party shipping to florida, not knowing about the law...but a breeder? No excuse, no excuse at all. Its not like the remaining 47 states are not providing enough business...everyone is setting monthly quota's due to demand.

I usually get several orders a month from Floridians, despite the the no florida orders policy being listed on my website (in bold red text no less). Typically I catch it right away, and let them know why I issued a refund. A couple times however, I have made it to the shipping day before I realised their location...once I was at the post office :shock: . I personally would love to ship to Florida, but state law is state law. Shame on those breeders who ignore such laws.

All that said, Florida's climate is very much conducive to the survival of most tropical roach species. Species like Eublaberus Posticus are prolific breeders, and could severely impact the local eco-system. Posticus have been known to eat other inverts, and I can only imagine what they would do in large numbers. Dubia and other species like Discoids would be a little more benign, but in large numbers who know's what they could do.
BTW, I believe you need a permit to raise non-native tropical roaches in Florida. So those buying them may be putting themselves at risk.

I apologize for the rant

Anglwngss

Hatchling Member
This question is out of curiosity, so please bear with me.

I lived in Florida, albeit was northern (Jacksonville) and now I live in Texas. I have also driven from Florida to Texas, going across Louisanna, Georgia, Alabama.. Anyway, what is it about Florida specifically that makes it so horrific for roaches? To me, the climate seemed very much like the climate here in Texas and even the other southern states seemed similar.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I did the research and it is directly related to the studies at the University of Florida, and they are not targeting roaches specifically. If they were to study specific species and find if they are capable of impacting the environment or not, they would probably lift bans as they have on crickets, mealworms, superworms & tarantulas. UF is where that article originated from, which looks as if they are already studying the roaches used as feeders. And I believe they are more concerned with South Florida, such as the Everglades due to the delicate balance.

It took me a while, but I found that the ban originates with the Dept of Agriculture & Consumer Service.

Guidelines are here
http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/pi/enpp/pdf/Guideline-for-Importing-Exotic-and-Non.pdf

The application to move organisms is here at UF's website
http://spdn.ifas.ufl.edu/08208.pdf

midnight_962002

Sub-Adult Member
Florida's climate is also perfect for many other things. I heard that there were parts of Florida that were being over-run by iguanas?

Ernie

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
A couple of years ago it was mostly the Keys that was over run with iguana's. I went there for vaca and as we rode the jet skis through the canals, every house we went buy had 1, 2 or 3 iquanas in the yard basking. I thought it was cool but they eat everything, all the plant life. Now I hear they are the same way just south of Sarasota. That's almost half way up the state. I'll still take them over citrus rats but I hear they get mean and are a threat to people's dogs and cats. Some of them are way bigger than most small pets. I'll probably be complaining a lot more in 2 to 3 years when they make it further North.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom