Roaches! Oh my!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Thanks to Archiesfamily (Laura) she had an explosion of roaches and gave me some to try with the beardies. Well, lets just say they were a big hit! Waffle, who does not eat live feeders but about once a week (not for my lack of trying) has had roaches all 3 days since I have had them. And he even ate live feeders twice in one day today. I was amazed. And Foster is eating them like crazy. Brady hasnt pooped (or eaten really) in a while, so no crunchy food for him yet, but I found a couple of small fresh shed roaches and gave them to him, and he ate too!
So, it looks like I am going to be raising roaches! They still disgust me, and I still shriek like a little girl when I grab the roaches (with the tweezers at that) :oops:
I am going to have to find out a way to deal with them, because it looks like my boys are hooked!!

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
That is great to hear! You can always do the cup method, put them in a cup with some calcium and into the viv. Good luck and you need any more help give me a shout! :D

Delshara

Hatchling Member
On the afternoon we got our dubias I put a few in an old kricket keeper and let Nero out of his viv... he watched the keeper for a while, then ran up to it and started licking the plastic... LOL. He won't go after the adult males though - I think the wings scare him. :shock:

I like that they don't look roachy from the top. I only get creeped out if I look at their undersides. I tried tweezers but they just didn't have enough grip - I just gulp and pick one with my fingers.

Momto3boys

Sub-Adult Member
Just be prepared since I started feeding Moose roaches, he refuses crickets, will not even look at crickets anymore, last batch of crix I bought I ended up putting outside so they would freeze....no use to me, I tried everything from handfeeding them to ripping their legs off....no way would he touch one, LOL

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it) none of my beardies will eat crickets at all anymore. They all seemed to stop eating crickets at about 6-8 months old, and will never touch them anymore. They only eat supers and horns and wax as treats. And now roaches. And they look creepy to me no mater how I look at them. And hearing them move around is creepy too! (and I am not even a girly girl, but still cant take it) :oops:

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Hehe I AM a girly-girl, but they don't bother me much. Mine love dubia, but I do Turks instead, can't afford dubia!

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
lol... I think myself and other like minded people started something ;)... Give them time, folks... even roaches get old ;).
Janie

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Lol, they've gotten old but they are still a heck of a lot better than crickets (Lilly thinks so too :D ). Not to mention Turks are cheaper than crix!

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Just wanted to add. Waffle has been eating every day! That is so amazing for Waffle! He is eating those roaches like crazy. Anyway, he has gained 17 grams since Thursday! Woo Hoo! Go Waffle!!! :D :blob5: :blob5:

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Wanted to add that as of now, Waffle has gained 27 grams since December 31st, from eating roaches.
And I just got a shipment in today, and am picking up some adult breeder dubia from my friend this week.
I got a shipment from Ian at that Roach Ranch and he was great. Very helpful and very quick to respond to any emails that I sent. So, if anyone is looking for roaches, you may want to check him out at
http://www.theroachranch.com/

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
First, a funny question that I never thought I would ask. I was bathing Waffle the other night after he had eaten a bunch of roaches. You know how they sometimes hold food in their throat. Well I was looking at Waffle, and I asked him "Waffle, do you have roaches in your neck?" :puke: :lol:

Just a couple of pics to add.
My Skinny Waffle man now has a belly!
waffle-2.jpg

Foster and his fat tail
foster-5.jpg

SIde view of Foster
foster2-3.jpg

And Brady, just so he doesnt feel left out. He has been kind of brumating, so he hasnt been eating as many roaches yet, but he is coming around.
brady-3.jpg

ArchiesFamily

Juvie Member
You'll be a roach girl in no time!! :lol: I'm so glad your boys love them. May your roaches increase and the sun shine on your back. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sohaiko
Top Bottom