Roach starter batch ... Good buy or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbauer65

i have an opportunity to obtain a start-up colony for $40.
20 adult males, 20 adult females & around 160 mixed size nymphs (1/4" - 1"+), 200 total. Just wondering what you think?

Thanks for your input.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
That's more males than you need, but if your dragon is big enough you could feed them off. It's a good price for females though I think. With no nymphs it will take a few months to be ready to feed from though.

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
It's not a bad price overall.

For a single dragon, you'll typically want between 30 (for an adult) to 50 (for a baby/juvi)
breeding females. So you'll most likely have to wait for a few months before starting
to feed from the colony.

And that's way too many males for that size. You want about 1 male per 3-5 females.

When I sell my starter colonies, I do 50'ish females, 15'ish males, and 200-300 nymphs
for $50.00, but I'm admittedly underpricing. They are just extras from me culling down
my colony so I'd rather underprice them and get them sold off fast rather than worry about
a big profit.

jbauer65

Original Poster
Thanks for the info!
I've about decided on getting an adult and skipping the Roach Colony since the adults eat more veggies than roaches. That way maybe I can afford to feed it. :shock:
If I change my mind, I might be hitting you up your starter bunch, sounds like a great deal to me.

Thanks again.

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
jbauer65":3nevxalw said:
Thanks for the info!
I've about decided on getting an adult and skipping the Roach Colony since the adults eat more veggies than roaches. That way maybe I can afford to feed it. :shock:
If I change my mind, I might be hitting you up your starter bunch, sounds like a great deal to me.

Thanks again.

Getting a young adult is often a better choice for a 1st time dragon owner.

Adults are a lot hardier than hatchlings (and yes they eat less).

Remember that you won't be feeding ONLY veggies though. You'll still need to
supply him/her with live feeders. The quantity may be low enough to warrant
just buying nymphs (or crickets) as needed though.

As for getting a colony from me, only if you're in the St. Louis area. I don't mess with
shipping or anything, it's just too much hassle. I was simply listing what I tend to
sell for, kind of meaning that if you look around you might be able to find a better
deal than the one you had. It's certainly not an overpriced deal there though.

jbauer65

Original Poster
Understood. It was more a joke since I'm in Colorado. :wink:
I've read in here that adults are fed 80% Veggies & 20% Protein (the opposite of youguns) and if it gets too expensive I'll do some more look'n around.
Thanks again for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom