Roach Heating...Another thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

burt1016

Juvie Member
I promise I used the search bar.

I decided to not bother with heat cables or tape cause I'll probably manage to blow something up using it.

http://www.amazon.com/Health-Home-756-500-Arthritic-Controller/dp/B00006IV4N/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1222865871&sr=8-2

Is what I'm basically decided on, I read some opinions on it, anyone want to give any more opinions :D ?

Also, where do I place this heat mat, under the egg crates or under the food area. I have all the crates <<< and al the food >>>

Sambenz

Instead of a plastic crate I decided to use a large plastic ice chest since it is insulated to keep in the heat. I did cut a hole in the top and screen it off. Then I decided to paint the chest black and stick it in the back yard in the sun. I have a digital thermometer and it have an undertank heater and an old heat rock that I would up with. I have the screen covered with a piece of dark cloth to keep out the sunlight. I have been averaging about 6-7 cents worth of electricity daily to keep them warm. If it gets too hot I move them out of the sun or open the lid for a couple of minutes.

wes

Juvie Member
I can't comment on that specific model, but that's the type of heating pad people generally use. Put the heating pad under the crates.

Sorry to hijack, but I didn't want to create a new thread for a similar question:
I am planning to use a 30g sterilite tub as a roach colony...would it be ok to heat that with a stick-on type heat pad? I would use a fairly small one to cover less than half of the tub. I see that some come with stick-on "legs" that raise the enclosure off the surface and allow airflow underneath. My main concern is that the tub will melt or something. Any thoughts?

wes

Juvie Member
Do not stick the UTH directly to plastic. The instructions say not to and a member here had their cricket enclosure catch fire. Some people have placed them on glass or ceramic tile, and then placed the bin on top of that. I don't know how well it works.

jodyberry

Hatchling Member
Just my 2 cents:

I never had good luck getting consistent heat with a heating pad in my 30 gal bin, so I just went straight to a CHE with a thermostat. It's been working great for a few months now.

Here are some pics. This was when I started my colony. I need to update it with current pics:

http://jodyberry.smugmug.com/Vivarium/Dubias-Part-2/15446316_6vHwa#1156507480_iFBNL

Let me know if you have any questions!

EDIT: My current bin doesn't have all those holes open. I covered up most of them (I was losing too much heat!)

I ended up purchasing the heat pad in the first post. I will set everything up and check temps, then it's time to order some roaches.

jodyberry

Hatchling Member
gtramontelli":l3qsjmoq said:
I ended up purchasing the heat pad in the first post. I will set everything up and check temps, then it's time to order some roaches.

Good luck on keeping that 30gal heated!

jodyberry

Hatchling Member
essenm25":1wmazkni said:
So the CHE doesn't melt your cage?

Not at all. The only part that got hot was directly above it, so I made sure that's where I put the metal screen.

It gets a small portion of the metal screen hot, but the screen is not a very good transmitter of heat, so it dissipates before it gets to the attachment point on the plastic.

DragonGal

Hatchling Member
I'm glad this thread isn't locked, I've been looking into starting a roach colony but have been hesitant to settle on a heater. I'm afraid of a heating pad burning through the plastic, but I don't know much at all about CHEs.. can anyone give me some advice/links/photos? :study:

sedecatur

Heres a link to what i use and it works great. http://www.bigappleherp.com/Flex-Watt-Heat-Tape Hopefully the pics show up If not send me your email and ill send them direct to you. This works great Keeps my temps where i set them, The take up about 3/4 of an unused closet and i have a blanket that hangs in frount that keeps it nice and dark for them. Been using this for about a year no with no problems.
IMG_0106.jpg
IMG_0103.jpg
IMG_0113.jpg
IMG_0104.jpg

Mark1998

I know this is not a common thought, but honestly I just went through winter with my Dubias and they did just fine with enclosure temps in the high 40s/low 50s. They live outside in a 10-gal glass aquarium with egg crates and such. I do have a stick-on heater on the bottom and when the temps fell to the 20s I added an infrared light on top, but Dubias seem to be pretty hardy (which makes sense, they are roaches after all).

My advice is to keep the temps above 50 until your weather warms up, but spending a lot of time and money on a heating set-up is somewhat unnecessary.

Dislcaimer - I live in the south so things are mild, I am sure this is different if you live in Wisconsin.

sedecatur

Oh i agree They are very hardy. I had a small one get into the container i keep apple slices in for their food, He was in the refrigerator for 3 days took him out he warmed up a little and was good to go, But i live in Maine The weather here changes alot, I keep them at 85 degrees for breeding, and being in a closet the heat doesnt run much at all. It works for me, Others probally dont need as much maybe i dont either, but in the long run they have allready paid for the equiptment just in what ive sold off in overstock. Sometime i wish they would slow down on the breeding but i found a good cure if you start getting over run with baby roaches, ** GET MORE LIZARDS** :mrgreen: :lol: im up to 2 beardies and 2 water dragons so far, If i could get my iggy to eat roaches I could get rid of 3 0r 4 hundred at a wack, but for some reason she wants nothing to do with them?? Go Figure :banghead:

DragonGal

Hatchling Member
Thanks for the answers and pictures, guys! I have virtually no free closet space (and only one bin, as well), so a whole closet setup wouldn't do it for me. I would like to keep them warm enough to breed, though.. guess I'll have to do a bit more research on UTH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom