Risk of Silkie impaction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got an order in from mulberry farms of silkworms and i ordered small and Med worms. Well the Med worms are seriously 3 to 3 1/2" long...they are HUGE! I'm concerned to feed them to my beardie because im not sure the risks that they pose being that large. He's 4 months old and almost 15" long. I know they are pretty watery and soft but im scared he might choke or something. (if they can) He has no trouble eating the ones that are around 2" long he just takes them in one gulp. And usually i would just throw them away and not even take a chance but out of an order of 200 Med at least 100 of them are that big :(

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
Well... when i gave Sinclair one that was "too big"; he chomped it in half and sprayed green goo all over the cage.
Or you could cut them in half...
It's fairly difficult for a good size beardie to get an impaction from a silkie

neecie

Juvie Member
It's so funny to read this now...........I just got out the silkies (that arrived yesterday) and like yours, some are big - Sandy is just 5 months old too. Decided to cut a giant one in 1/2 -----------------eeeekkkkk it doesn't cut easily and guts were squirting everywhere. Decided to scrap this idea - rolled it up in the paper towel and threw it in the trash. So, I guess Sandy will have a few whoppers - probably first, since I don't want them to grow more.

painthorseskyy

Original Poster
yeah, thats what i'm doing as well. He seems to have no problem with them. He eats about two and is full which is kinda funny. Usually he'd eat about 10 normal size ones! And im super excited right now cuz i just turned around and for the first time EVER hes eating his salad on his own with no encouragment from baby mealworms!!!

neecie

Juvie Member
Just in case...................if anyone has had a digestion (with their BD, of course) problem eating the large silkies - let us know. Otherwise, the whoppers are first to go.

neecie

Juvie Member
Fed Sandy one of the biggest silkworms...........almost was feeling sorry with her working on swallowing. But it apparently is OK. She took a warm bath and pooped a lot.

dawnki

Juvie Member
I've been successfully raising silkworms now for about eight months? I have both normal and zebras. Problem is bruno is so sick of eating silkworms that he actually snubs his nose at the sight of them :roll: ......I do have a colony of dubias going but they aren't quite ready to become the main feeders. Lots of the silkies are once again spinning their cocoons. joy. I think. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom