RIP Jojo <3 *8/23/06~6/29/10*

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Michelle, that's scary! I would think (hope) the company would make sure the fumes were gone by the time they sent it to you. Maybe it was just enough to cause the problems you described. I would think that after all these years it would be gone completely. There does have to be a way to test this. You could turn the heat bulb on and leave the doors opened and maybe put a fan blowing into the viv just in case!

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Well I remember the day I received it and when I took it out of the box there was a strong odor of stain. I let it air out for a couple days before I put her in there,but it would explain alot! I can't remember when the stain smell went away completely but it wasn't too long afterwards.
Sigh...

MissT

BD.org Addict
Michelle that is quite scary. But I am sure the company wouldn't send it out if they believed it posed a risk... I know what u mean about those bad days. When abu died I had some terrible days where I would cry non-stop. It helped, tho, that I had kazi to focus my attention on although it was awful looking at her empty viv for the moths until we got phoebe. My oh and his family dealt with it differently to me tho-they almost shyed away from kazi a little and took a long time to consider getting phoebe. But kazi and the guys here reallygot me through it.

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Oh that's just awful Michele, Your heart must have sunk when you read that label, mine would have too, but it's hard to live in the "what if's" you can make yourself sick thinking about what would have been if things were done differently. You were such a concsciencious mommy, I don't think you would have put Jojo in her tank if the smell was strong. I agree with beardie parents, and put the heat lamp on, door open along with a fan, or if you can move the viv, outside in the sun, just to give you ease of mind. (((HUGS)))

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OMG Michele, you must have been so totally shocked when you found out about the stain and the warnings. I remember how particular that company was doing it just right, just what you wanted. It's hard to believe that they would use a a toxic one. They should have mentioned to you to be sure to air it out for a while just in case there were any resilient fumes remaining.

It is very hard to say if it could have caused her eye and mouth issues, you will drive yourself crazy wondering about that. If it would make you feel better, you could always call Dr. Sean and see if he has any insight.

I would think after 3 yrs, it would be safe to use now with no concerns but probably would be a good idea to leave the front open or set it out in the sun just to be safe.

I'm sorry you just found this out. :(

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
Again,a fortune spent on tests/swabs/meds but the problem never went away. This is why her tongue was always slightly sticking out.

Michele, if I remember correctly, bad bacteria was found and you successfully treated it with meds and DMSO swabbed. I've been told that slightly open mouths are habits they can acquire. Doesn't mean something is wrong with them. Jada sleeps sometimes with her tongue hanging out.

Don't beat yourself up thinking the "what if's". You were not informed of this danger at the time of purchase.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
OMG!You have got to be kidding!
Michele does it have a seal over the stain at least on the inside? I cannot believe they would sell you a product that could be so damaging! Do you have any idea what kind of wood they used?

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Christina,(MissT)
You say that the company wouldn't send it out if there was a possibility of it posing a risk,but that's exactly what they did. They never warned me about the fumes :banghead: I do take part of the blame though because I should have checked into it further :(
I feel your pain of losing Abu,and I understand how Kazi and Phoebe help you through that so you have something else to focus on instead of just the grief of losing her.I also understand your OH's feeling too...being scared to love and be hurt again. (((hugs)))

Christine,
Yes,my heart did sink when I read the label,well actually I started freaking out.When UPS delivered it and I opened the huge box the smell was very strong. I waited 2 days for it to air out before I put her in there,but still for a few weeks once in awhile when I opened her cage door I would get a wiff of it. I left her door open whenever I would take her out. I know I shouldn't drive myself crazy with the "what if's" but it's hard not too.I thought of it practically all day today and kept trying to push it out of my mind.

Diane,
Yup,the company should have warned me. :angry5: I am definately going to call (or email) Dr Sean to let him know this.Her eye swelling and mouth swelling issues drove HIM crazy as much as it drove ME crazy,and I just want to let him know about this new info and see what he has to say.
I think the cage is ok now after all this time too,but I will leave the front door open anyways.

Sandy,
Your memory is correct :wink: Even though the eye swab showed no bacteria, the mouth culture DID. She was treated with the DMSO mouth swabs daily.
The meds got rid of the bacteria but the swelling never went away,so Dr Sean concluded that the bacteria wasn't the cause of the mouth swelling.

Vicky,
No there is no clear coat over the stain.I am seriously considering doing that though...with something NON-TOXIC of course :wink: I'm not sure what kind of wood it is.I asked at the time of purchase but I don't remember now. :oops:

I have to stop thinking about this.I will never know for sure if this caused her problems,and playing the blame-game isn't going to change anything anyways :|

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
It'll be interesting to see what the vet says about the fumes. etc. All this just makes it worse during the grieving process. :( But think of the future and what's in store for you, maybe that'll keep your mind free from past agonizing thoughts. (((HUGS)))

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
beardie osk":13hou17z said:
It'll be interesting to see what the vet says about the fumes. etc. All this just makes it worse during the grieving process. :( But think of the future and what's in store for you, maybe that'll keep your mind free from past agonizing thoughts. (((HUGS)))
I bought a thank-you card to send to the vet to thank them for all the care they have given Jojo in the past. I still need to compose it though,so I think I will add a personal note to Dr Sean along with it telling him about the wood-stain.

I ordered the urn today and it shipped out right away. (I already have a tracking #).
I went grocery shopping for the first time since Jojo passed.She was the main reason I ever went to the store(to get her greens). I've been living on soup,crackers,toast and cookies for the past 3 weeks.
It was so sad being in the store today and not getting her food :(

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
puppytoes72":12l0mkvn said:
beardie osk":12l0mkvn said:
I bought a thank-you card to send to the vet to thank them for all the care they have given Jojo in the past. I still need to compose it though,so I think I will add a personal note to Dr Sean along with it telling him about the wood-stain.

I ordered the urn today and it shipped out right away. (I already have a tracking #).

I went grocery shopping for the first time since Jojo passed.She was the main reason I ever went to the store(to get her greens). I've been living on soup,crackers,toast and cookies for the past 3 weeks.
It was so sad being in the store today and not getting her food :(

I think the card is very nice gesture, and I'm sure they'll appreciate the card and kind words as well.
It'll be nice to have Daddy and Jojo next to each other when the urn arrives!
I'm sure it was tough going to the grocery store,................... when we lost patients, it took a long time before the family would be able to come back and visit our place. Too many memories and it hurt, but it was all part of the grieving process. :( (((HUGS)))

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
It was so sad being in the store today and not getting her food :cry:
crying.gif

crying.gif

Hug.jpg

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Thank you Christine and Barb (((hugs)))

I have something to share with all of you that I posted about 2 minutes ago (I am a sicko,10,000 posts)
[ Invalid URL Removed / p= t=130850 f=33 ]

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
I'm not at home right now but I just checked the UPS tracking # online and I see that Jojo's urn was delivered at 6:11pm. I can't believe it's here already,I just ordered it yesterday about noontime :shock:
Today is exactly 3 weeks since my baby has been gone. Ugh,I'm crying again :cry:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
We know it's very difficult Michele and I did realize today that it was 3 wks. Perhaps putting her to rest in that beautiful urn will make you feel a little better. Then you can place it right alongside Chris. That is nice that they shipped and delivered it so fast for you. You'll have to post pictures when you get a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom