Rex's Savannah monitor thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey

Juvie Member
Original Poster
That is if I am right, there is a lot of things I am not sure yet.

My bf and his family would flip o the roaches, but I am looking into snails, slugs, and similar stuff as well as locusts that you can buy in bulk. you got worms and goliath worms as well as tomato ones.

I am also contemplating if one of the reasons for hard to breed in captivity is related to their food, since so many still dies of fatty liver despite kept slim by experienced owners that there might be organ obesity that we can't meassure as long as they are alive still caused by the rodent diet. The reason I am thinking is cause of these articles I read:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/11/091103153754.htm

So If I succeed with the diet plan and set up I have I might see if I can get one of opposite gender later, raise as well and see if I can have a successfull breeding but that would be years ahead I would say. But it's science that is really intriguing me after all these facts and stuff I find.

and one guy in another forum, he's waiting to get his hands on NEW research done in relation of monitors and UVB, so that might finally revolutionise the thought of it. Cause my brain tells me that I am sure they need it as partial help for their development to say the least.

Monkey

Juvie Member
Original Poster
pictures :D

shedding explosion!
001-28.jpg

On his way up to the basking spot.
005-21.jpg

He fell asleep just like this it was too cute not to take a photo off. I take it as a good sign that he dares to rest like this.
And it wasnt that I scared him, I just came home from work and found him like this.
007-31.jpg

I woke him up with the flash, so he backed into his little hut.
008-21.jpg

One morning I saw him sleeping like this:
033-11.jpg

I added more dirt, I need to get hold of more sand though, and I am contemplating to add another layer of dirt as well. He absolutely loves it and dig little holes here and there.
030-8.jpg

Checking out what I am doing, he's a tad scared of me but he's getting curious of that big weird human being.
041-6.jpg

Climbing down from basking.
053-7.jpg

and this is how close he will let my hand be on the front side. Fromt he back I can even pet him a little.
059-5.jpg

When I got him he was so small that he fitted on my thumb with his tail wrapped around it. My baby is growing.

Monkey

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well 2 months later and little Rex has grown from 3 inches to a big 8.
I better get that custom viv started soon *lol*

Before and after:
Then.
007-29.jpg

Now:
011-26.jpg

010-20.jpg

007-33.jpg

006-30.jpg

005-25.jpg

With two beardies and him, I now go through about 300 crickets a week, yeah time to buy in bulk.. *lol*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom