Revamping Furniture - A Unique Spin In Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinya

So my boyfriend and I were hanging around one day just relaxing as we perused different websites and such. Well, I was looking through all of the DIY techniques and phenominal custom tanks on here. (Blown away by all of you guys! Seriously - in awe :shock: ) After looking through the different examples, I was struck by an idea.
I have my old minifridge from college, goodness knows why as it hasn't worked since my senior year, and it was just laying around. So I talked to my boyfriend, he's an engineer, and we looked over it several times before coming up with an in progress plan for a habitat in the fridge!

We've drawn up some rough sketches and started taking the thing apart. We've got a plan for the built in parts. It's going to have tile flooring and wooden sides. The bottom section is going to be for my current baby (only 2 months old) and the top section is going to be for two hatchlings after my boyfriend's beardie is bred. (She's such a beautiful yellow that we just had to find out how her babies would look like)

Pictures in the next post

Sinya

Original Poster
Drawn up plans
DSC00763_zps3b689bdc.jpg

The actual fridge mostly pre demolition
DSC00761_zpsa647bbbd.jpg

in the process of being gutted
DSC00762_zps58618507.jpg

Closer up of drawn plans
DSC00764_zpseb758934.jpg

As it looks currently while we take out the insulation
DSC00774_zps6876074d.jpg

we're looking to finish it around the end of november

Sinya

Original Poster
No worries on pictures! I want to document every stage :) My bf is taking it to his father shop for a week to work on getting it finished during thanksgiving. I'm having him photograph every step!

Sinya

Original Poster
Just an Update: Decided on blue tile for the flooring on the larger bottom section and white marbl-y tile for the top section. :)

Sinya

Original Poster
Super cool sketch that my bf made with a program - check them out!
They are exact dimensions

BottomTankFront.jpg

BottomTankSW.jpg

BottomTankSE.jpg

morphmom

BD.org Addict
WOW! Just plain wow! This may be the first time I've ever followed a build! Well done! :D
Oh, and as a side note. I'm a happily married wife and mother who is madly in love with her hubby and child. That being said, your bf is quite the handsome fellow. Well done on that too :laughing6:

Sinya

Original Poster
morphmom":1cedb35z said:
WOW! Just plain wow! This may be the first time I've ever followed a build! Well done! :D
Oh, and as a side note. I'm a happily married wife and mother who is madly in love with her hubby and child. That being said, your bf is quite the handsome fellow. Well done on that too :laughing6:

Thanks! All the credit has to go to the bf tho, he's the mastermind behind it. I just came up with the idea. :)

as for your side note, I quite agree :love5: haha there will be a few pix of him and my beardie in Catahoula's diary under the Beardie Tales section later tonight :) Feel free to creep on the thread

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Sinya":2wgv6c0h said:
as for your side note, I quite agree haha there will be a few pix of him and my beardie in Catahoula's diary under the Beardie Tales section later tonight Feel free to creep on the thread
Aw, thank you. You never know if what you say is too bold. I'm just a sucker for new ideas and long hair! LOL! :lol: This whole build could spark something wonderful for our beardie babies. :D I never liked all wood vivs as they're hard to clean. This may be a great alternative. Very interesting.

Sinya

Original Poster
I agree! There is going to be wood covering the inside, and the ramps/cuts/etc. will be made of wood but the flooring will be tile and the outside will look just like a fridge! :p Of course, there will be a glass front to it but the fridge doors will close over the glass door for night time, so i can turn on my light too without bothering them. :)

here's the link to the beardie tales thread: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=179960

I'll be writing it up as soon as I upload today's pictures to photobucket. Expect them by 9:30pm east coast time :)

Don't worry about being too bold. I consider it a compliment on my taste in men :p He's an engineer so he has lots of ideas and I love his long hair too. :p Sometimes he sits on the floor in front of me (I'm on the couch) and I brush his hair while we watch something. :p

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Thank you for the link. I was just gonna ask. Years ago, long before my hubby, I dated a man with raven black hair down to his butt. He only trimed it when he worried about hygine! :shock: I loved brushing it as I prefer a cute little 'bob' on myself. It's quite calming and good bonding time. My hubby is blonde (the 1st blonde man I've ever been with) and he would look just wretched with long hair! :lol: Instead he has a modern 'faux hawk' which at his age (3years younger then myself) looks surprisingly nice. 8) Now, off to see those bearded babes.

Sinya

Original Poster
haha nice! I just finished updating it. (took forever on the tablet!) Yeah, he is the first guy I've been with that has long hair like that but I find myself enjoying it more than my own. :p Now, back on topic - the fridge tank! :p More will be posted around thanksgiving :)

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Sinya":1qdpad3r said:
Now, back on topic - the fridge tank! More will be posted around thanksgiving
Oh, just think, if this works your babe could someday move into a deep freeze condo! When is your thanksgiving? Canada has already had.

Sinya

Original Poster
Nov.22nd this year - that's when the bf is visiting his family and will have access to the shop/tools/etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sohaiko
Top Bottom