Retained Shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Hi all!

I'm sure you regulars have seen me posting a lot. My set up is definitely 100% bd.org approved for an 8 month old dragon (digital therm with probe and temp gun, 105-110F basking, 75-80F cool side, above 65F overnight, no colored bulb, ReptiSun 10.0 tube mounted inside tank, white basking light, tile substrate, offer live twice a day 10-15 minutes (well, until he's done recently), feed turnip and dandelion greens available all day, no heat pad or rock, no water bowl unless humidity gets below 10%, 2-3 baths a week, calcium 4-5 days a week and multivitamin 1-2 times a week (depending on how hungry Max is each day), and no misting), so I know that's fine. Anyways, I discovered tonight that Max has what I believe is retained shed on his tail. A bit of gentle/idle rubbing when he was cuddling tonight flaked some scales off his tail. I had noticed a slight bend at the very tip of the tail and some odd texture an inch or so down from there after his last tail shed (almost 2 months ago), but hadn't though anything of it. Now I'm realizing he had some retained shed. A bit more gentle rubbing with a baby toothbrush got some more off, but Max was getting pretty squirmy, and I think he may have ripped a scale off (although it didn't bleed, so maybe there's two layers, or he is getting ready to start a new shed??). I know I can treat that with betadine and/or neosporin. My question is this: now that I got most of the retained shed off, how can I tell whether any other rough patches are retained shed from before, or a new shed getting ready to begin? I don't want to hurt him or his scale growth by scrubbing off a shed that isn't ready to go yet, but I also don't want him to get tail rot from having layers of retained shed. Any suggestions, guys?

Thanks,

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom