Retained Shed??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seacow

Hi all,
I was just wondering when beardies stop shedding and how long does it take them to shed their skin?
We got Dennis over Christmas (unwanted pet) and we were told he was a year old. He was 14" when we got him and I know now that this is on the small side for a dragon that age. I also know that the husbandry in his old home was not what it should have been.
I figured being an adult that he was done growing and that shedding would not be necessary. Since we got him he's only shed his shoulder and the area around his mouth. However... he's now over 18" and ten days ago I noticed the skin on his back, belly, shoulders and mouth getting ready to shed! So I've been giving him a bath every day for 20 to 30 minutes at a time to ease it but so far...nothing. He's not himself, not very interested in food and now I'm starting to worry. The skin gets a little whiter by the day but hasn't started to come away yet. How long does it normally take? I've heard about dragons retaining shed and the problems it can cause...could it be this? :?
(I'll try and get some pics posted as soon as I figure out how :oops: )

Tigg

Juvie Member
This sounds perfectly normal! When we talk about our BD's retaining shed, it's when there is one little spot, or one of their toes hasn't peeled yet long after the rest of the dead skin is gone.

The way your BD's is behaving is perfectly normal, some can get down right grumpy while in shed, most just curl up and don't move or eat as much. I have seen my own BD's skin looing dull, almost milky for a couple of weeks knowing a shed is coming, then one morning I go to say hi... and there she is looking bright and beautiful again, and she's left me the gift of cleaning up the million pieces of skin she has scattered all over her enclosure! :shock:

Seacow

Original Poster
That's a relief! Thanks Tigg! The first time he shed for us (just around his mouth) I noticed the colour change and then two days later he's looking like the before picture in a lip-balm advert! lol! This just seems to be taking ages... and it's spreading. I thought that at almost 16 months he'd be too old for full sheds. I suppose it's because he's grown a bit. Can't wait till he's all shiny and new...poor little man seems so glum at the moment :(
Thanks again!
Sarah

beardielovers

Hatchling Member
I'll jump in and sort of hijack this thread and ask a question. :) Is it normal to be able to get an adult beardie that wasn't receiving proper care and then have it grow to its "proper" size even as an adult? We just got a 4 yr old that is only 16" and were wondering if he would ever grow some more now that he is receiving proper food, and environment. We're hoping that he will shed for us too. Some areas look as if he has shed (brighter colors) and other areas are milky looking - which makes us think he might be shedding too, but the milky look is going away the more we bath him. He was in a really dirty environment before. Anyway...just thought I would ask.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
I think that at 3 years the length wise growth is done, just girth size will change, but you know these dragons love to amaze us !
Janie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom