retain sperm for how long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TankGirl05

Hi, I'm new. A little history: I've worked at an exotic pet store for the past 2 and 1/2 years. I specialize in the dietary needs of omnivorous lizards, with my passion being beardies. My mom and I just began breeding last year. Had our first clutch, but unfortunately only had 4 hatch out of our first clutch of 11. My mom wasn't keeping up with the humidity as well as she needed and I was working 2 jobs.

Our first breeding was between her female and my male. My male passed away in October of 2008 (they were breed in early April 08) He was an older rescue that had over come parasites and infection, he had a good life for the year that I had him, but his previous life was very lacking in proper care and ultimately shortened his life.

Now for my issue at hand.

My Mom now has 2 dragons a male a female, she put them together to breed and they bred on 02/15/09. She laid eggs tonight 03/02/09. A healthy looking small clutch of 16 eggs pink and full, no windows or anything. I have no idea how long they can retain sperm. But it doesn't seem likely she could produce 16 healthy eggs in 2 weeks. I had also noticed she was putting on some weight about a week before they bred, thinking that she was just bulking up from the extra food... Is it possible that a year after breeding her to my male that she could have another clutch from stored sperm? I know they can retain sperm, but I've only heard of them laying multiple clutch every few months, not waiting a whole year.

If anyone has an answer for me I'd appreciate it :) Just very confused... lol.

Kagome100

Juvie Member
They can hold sperm up to a year. I have heard a little more than a year but i think over a year is rear. After laying she can lay again in just 2-5weeks.

also they can also lay without a male it just the eggs wont be good.

TankGirl05

Original Poster
I know they can lay infertile eggs any time, but these are definitely fertile. They are full and pink. I'm just wondering if they could be my males offspring from the mating last April, or if they are my moms male, just seems 2 weeks is really quick to lay the eggs.

Kagome100

Juvie Member
Well if she bred a year ago and than bred with a diff male a few weeks ago it might be the new males.

TankGirl05

Original Poster
Yes but usually it takes 4 to 5 weeks from breeding to them laying the eggs. It's been 2 weeks since they bred. I didn't think they could lay that quickly

Kagome100

Juvie Member
True, well you can wait till the babies hatch and see the colors. Im not sure what else i could say :\

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom