Respiratory Infection treatment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damieboo

Hatchling Member
Damien has a respiratory infection. I noticed saliva or mucuous bubbling at her nostrils a few days ago and she's been breathing kind of hard and opening her mouth occasionally. And she has the telltale clicking sound. It's weird because it's been really hot these past few weeks and I've been trying to take her out more often so she doesn't get overheated because I don't have a backup set-up. She has a 100w Powersun, basking temps are usually 106 when it's normal temps but it's summer in AZ, so 110+ degrees outside combined with an old A/C and her basking temp is upwards of 116. She's obviously not basking, but even so, it's been super dry. That + higher temps made me surprised she has a URI.

Question is, should I treat it with antibiotics or leave her be? She's had a few URIs in the past that seemed to clear up on their own. I've been to the vet twice in this town (two different vets) and they are not at all equipped to treat reptiles so I hesitate to bring her in if it's something that can be cured somewhat easily at home. She's still got a massive appetite, and roams a little when I take her out. She's also in the middle of a full body shed. So I don't think it's too serious but the bubbling at the nostrils is what's concerning me. Antibiotics or no? Also what would the antibiotics be called so I can request them at the vet?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, poor Damie....always something, huh ? Try to get her temps down, they can develop respiratory problems when the temp. is too high. Try hanging the Powersun up higher....you are better off with a basking temp. of 95 than 115, believe me. If she can't escape the heat during the day it will make her sick. Even if you only have it on in the morning for 2-3 hours, then switch it for a smaller watt household bulb that will help. If she still seems sick after a week or so you can have her checked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom