Respiratory Infection Medication Options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
Hey guys,

My beardie has a respiratory infection, but money is a little tight right now. The vet prescribed Baytril last time, and it worked for a little while, but I don't want to try it again because I don't think it got rid of the infection all the way. What are some Baytril alternatives that I can try?

Humidity is fine, temps are fine (if anything a little warm). Though she does spend a lot of time in her hide, which makes it hard to get her to basking temps.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Did the vet take a mouth culture to try and find which type of bacteria is causing the infection? It's difficult to say which antibiotic will be effective without knowing which bacteria it's fighting. Some bacteria are resistant to some antibiotics so it's important to have that tested to see what you're up against. Baytril is commonly used and is a wide spectrum antibiotic so it works in a lot of cases but not all of them. For now, I would provide plenty of hydration and keep the overnight temperatures boosted a little bit (high 70s to 80 or so) and see if she can fight the rest of it on her own. What signs are you seeing that the infection is still active?

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
Original Poster
She never took a mouth culture - just quickly made a diagnosis. She was in a big hurry that day. But I know the jnfection's come back worse than before because though her nostrils are looking better, she produces a lot of really think saliva. She's started to cough and gag to the point where I think she vomits a little bit sometimes. :(

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor girl. The thick mucous does make me think there is a problem. It's likely a respiratory infection but I can't say for sure. I think the best bet is to have a culture taken to see exactly what she's up against. That will allow an effective antibiotic to be prescribed to target the infection. I'm sorry I can't be more specific than that without having further test results. How is her appetite? If she's still eating, that's a good sign. I'd offer foods that have plenty of fluids to help prevent her from getting dehydrated. Different kinds of squash are good for that. You could even try dropping some water right on her nose and see if she'll lick it off.

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Appetite varies from day to day. Sometimes she's hungry and head bobbing and acting normal while most days she sits in her hide and doesn't eat. She'll take a few roaches when she won't do greens though. Fortunately she hasn't lost much weight, so she might be eating when I'm not watching.

Kashki

My boy just recovered from an RI. He was on Baytril (I think that's what she's written). After the second dose (3rd day) he really improved and started eating and being more active. A week later he was completely recovered. I found really rapid improvements with it and haven't any experience with anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mysticsalten
Top Bottom