RESPIRATORY INFECTION / BLACK BEARD/TAIL, LETHARGIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Here in the US, you can sue a vet for property damage because animals are looked at as property. At least that is how it is here in Texas. The laws could be different in other states but you can sue for malpractice. I have heard of vets having their licenses revoked before but, it's not common.
I'm glad to hear you had a great visit & that your boy got some needed meds! I hope he is feeling better soon, poor thing. Which antibiotic did they give, Ceftz, or Baytril? There are some good vets out there, but it's hard to find them!
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Modo":2ywbc44l said:
Hello everyone! Thank you all so much for your support and advice. I will be making a phone call to that vet today who made my baby suffer all those weeks. The vet is Kryder Veterinary Clinic in Granger, Indiana. Nobody should go there, the Dr I saw was Dr. Kryder (no surprise his name was the name of the clinic) his exam was not thorough and his advice was based on experience and not fact. I got him a dose of antibiotics, and he should hopefully be feeling better in about a week. Big thank you to the Gilmer Park Animal Clinic, especially Dr. Herget. She was more than happy to answer all my questions and understanding of my concerns. Thank you all again for everything

Hope you see some improvement in him soon , but it could take a week to two before you notice improvements , with lizards healing is glacially slow (slow metabolic rate cf mammals).
Don't forget to at least use F10 to sterilize his viv and stuff daily , else he risks reinfecting himself continually , beardied cant blow their noses, wipe their noses on tissue, or spit up phlem into a old drink bottle or the sink.

Lots of love and snuggles for him and remember to keep him warm 24/7.

Maybe the new vet will help out with starting deregistration proceedings against the quack at Kryder VC or at the very least write a letter you can use as evidence should you decide to take civil action.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
It's extremely difficult to get a veterinarian's license revoked, same at a human doctor, especially if there isn't a long history of malpractice and registered complaints. However, you need to officially register a complaint against this vet with your state board of veterinary licensure. They are required to investigate every official complaint that is lodged with them. It's quite possible that this vet has had prior complaints lodged against them, so if that's the case your complaint could be the one that tips the cart. You never know. At the very least it's bad publicity.

You can always sue the vet civilly for malpractice, but it most likely isn't worth the money it will cost you for a lawyer, and then if you lose you're forced to pay court costs, etc. And if you win the amount of money you'd most likely get would be enough to pay the lawyer. And a civil lawsuit will do nothing to get the vet's license revoked. It's a crappy system, and it's designed to make it extremely difficult for doctors to lose their licenses.

Should this vet actually lose their license and their livelihood? I don't know, and neither do you really. This one incident is enough for me to say that this vet should not see anymore reptiles or amphibians until they do some extensive continuing education in the reptile/amphibian specialty, that's for sure. But taking a doctor's license away from them is a very big deal, and that's why you should definitely file an official, legal complaint against him with your state's licensure board, because they obviously keep track of all complaints against all veterinarians in your state. If there is a history of malpractice they are the only ones that will know about it, and if it's a long enough history they will definitely take action against this vet. But it's pretty extreme to say that they should lose their license and ability to practice animal medicine completely in the state of Texas due to this one incident. Again, I do believe that they should not be seeing reptiles at all, but they may be an excellent canine veterinarian...You see what I'm saying?

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Sorry, I guess it's Indiana you live in, or at least where this vet is...I don't know why I thought it was Texas.

Here's the link for filing a consumer complaint with the Indiana State Licensing Board

http://www.in.gov/pla/3115.htm

There's an online form you fill out, it goes right to the Attorney General of Indiana. Start here.

Modo

Original Poster
I'm seeing a lot of you talking about trying to take legal action. I am young, 15 an inexperienced with that. He was not an exotic vet. It was partially my fault for no looking into it. He only used his own experience with beardies having raised 2 on his own instead of actual fact like my other vet did. I am happy to inform you all that Modo, even though he has been on his antibiotics for about 4 days, has already showed improvement. No more black beard, no more violent wheezing or "coughing". He has gained his appetite back slowly and he is doing well. Im very grateful from the bottom of my heart for all of your support, and will make sure to sterilize his cage today or tomorrow. I'm just so glad he never gave up on me, coz sure as hell i wasn't gonna give up on him. Thank you again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom