rescued Leopard Gecko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortunate

Hatchling Member
Hi All!

I have recently rescued a leopard gecko - the most beautiful lizard i have ever seen (not that i'm biased or anything ;) )
the quick details are as follows:
the previous owner hadnt fed her in a month as he was bothered to get her food (vet did a sex check when i took her in for an exam) and the poor girl didnt have a heater for 3months (vet said this prob saved her life) i was supposed to pick her up and take her to a foster home but on the way to the vet she snuggled in my neck and i fell in love! :roll:
I did a ton of research and the vet helped me set up her new tank and she is eating every second day (20 small mealworms)

the reason i need advise tho is im not too familiar with gecko behaviour and websites are giving me conflicting info, she spends all her time in her hide on the warm side of the tank (32'C) and only ever comes out to eat (around 7pm) then goes straight back into the hide, i have the damp moss in there (do i have to keep damping it everyday? how often do you spray your moss?) and i have noticed she has become pale, thats just shedding right? i have had her for a week now and was told they shed every 2 weeks so im not too fussed, just want to know what to except when she is shedding, my beardie gets very grumpy and goes off his food - is this the same case?
also i am going away for a few days in 2 weeks and will have to put both lizards in boarding, will this cause stress on Lila (my Gecko)? anyway to ease the stress?

Doublet74

Hatchling Member
Ok first things first. Leos are nocturnal and sometimes hide ALOT. Being that you just got her she is probably very stressed out. As for the moss personally I use paper towels. But whatever makes you happy. During a shed you should mist it everyday. You want it to be moist not WET. After the shed is done you can do it every other day. They sometimes use their humid hide as cool spot to thermoregulate. As for stressing your gecko, Yes it probably will however chances are high that it will have no ill effects. As for now I would leave it alone for a couple days (no handling) and allow it to become comfortable in its new home. After that your good to go. Start to build trust with it and if you go to its tank at night you will see it more often. :) GOOD LUCK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom