Rescued beardie with possible Yellow fungus??

Status
Not open for further replies.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
The flipping, odd walking, etc. are all due to the MBD, and are "normal", as normal as MBD symptoms can be I mean...That's going to be a matter of time under strong UVB and nutrition/calcium absorption, there's really no way to tell how much the physical disabilities from the MBD will reverse themselves, they may never, but the important part of MBD recovery is that their bone density increases to normal levels, which is what is happening now. Advanced MBD recovery is a marathon, not a sprint unfortunately, and you don't know what you're going to get in the end, but he will improve.

As Cooper said you need to feed him steadily and in a slow, healthy way to put weight back on him, and keeping him hydrated is always step #1. The reason for this is because if you just start feeding him a ton of protein it can a most likely will overwhelm his kidneys, and that's how Gout develops, and the swollen toe is worrisome for that reason, though as long as you don't see any more swelling in any other toes, feet, or legs then he's okay on that front. But you have to keep his Renal System flushed with water several times throughout the day, and slowly increase his food intake and protein intake to keep his kidneys from becoming overwhelmed and having his Uric Acid levels start rising. That's the last thing you want to have happen. Just slow and steady water and food, his fat pads and the rest of his body fat will slowly increase and come back, no rush, again, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

As far as the "Exotics" Vet goes I'll be honest, I've lost faith in them all recently, I'm trying to no stereotype, but honestly I'm tired of seeing Dragons made much worse or killed after seeing Exotics Vets. If you trust your vet's knowledge of Bearded Dragon health then that's good, and important. His tail definitely was damaged at the end at some point, but it doesn't look as if there are still any open wounds or necrotic tissue. The shriveled end may fall off at some point, it may stay that way forever. What you need to worry about now isn't the end part that's already shriveled, but rather looking for that hard, dry, shriveled, black tissue spreading above the already dead area. That's when you know you have a problem and amputation may be necessary if the necrosis can't be stopped. But I don't see any sign of that in those photos, but you need to watch carefully for it.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Well, That would explain a lot. :( I Will try to get him a vet appointment ASAP. Should I put him back on the liquid calcium that they prescribed? How could I improve this?

His tail and toe have stayed the same. But, On the lighter side of things, This morning he ate a ton of mustard greens!! :blob5:

Thank you for the help, I Will keep Y'all updated.

-HippieLizards.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, the liquid Calcium is much more readily absorbed by their bodies than the powdered is, so at least for the next month I'd keep them on the liquid, depending on what kind it is...Was it prescribed by a vet, like Calcivet, or is it just like Fluker's brand or something? There is a difference, a lot of liquid Calcium supplements don't even come with dosing instructions, so that's something to look at too, but in-general the liquid Calcium is better for a Dragon being treated for MBD, at least in the beginning...When you take him to the Vet appointment, as the Vet about a liquid Calcium supplement, they may even want to give him a Calcium injection as well...

As far as the overall treatment of the MBD, just make sure that both lights are on for at least 13-14 hours every day, they are getting adequate Calcium and a Multivitamin, and that you avoid feeding them any Spinach or a lot of Kale, they both contain very high levels of Oxalate, which ends-up binding to any Calcium they ingest, forming Calcium Oxalate, which just gets excreted in their urates, preventing them from absorbing any Calcium (the same way that a lot of Kidney Stones are formed and passed).

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
It's just a calcium carbonate suspension that my vet gave me. I'll Go back on that for him today.

Also, I think Thor may have had a seizure last night at 6PM. :( I Was giving him his weekly bath and everything seemed fine, He drank a lot, He pooped, and Swam around a bit. But when I was drying him off he suddenly went very stiff, and His beard turned pitch black (there were no other dragons there), Then his eyes rolled back into his head (or at least closed them half way) Then all of a sudden he starts rolling over multiple times (like the alligator death roll) and he then stopped breathing for about 30 seconds. I Thought I had lost him. He Then starts breathing heavily and then throws up some water. It Was terrifying to watch. :( Any ideas on what happened or could have caused that?

Today he has been fine. He ate, He pooped, He did a few beard flexes, and got to spend an hour outside in the sun. I Have also been doing everything you said to do.

-HippieLizards.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
UPDATE: Thor has been doing really good today, He has been very active and has pooped. I Have not witnessed any more seizures and hope I never will. Unfortunately his basking bulb burnt out and the backup bulb burnt out as well. But thankfully the CHE is working. He is asleep right now. I also gave him some more liquid calcium an hour ago.

Also, Gizmo the gecko has been shedding and his toes have stopped sticking together now. He also is half shedding, so it looks like he's wearing a shirt. Lol.

-HippieLizards.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Yesterday Thor had another bath and it seemed he had another seizure. :( He drank some water and when I was taking him out he stopped breathing for thirty seconds, Then he got real black bearded, and started backing up and being afraid of everything. he then did a few death rolls and spat out some more clear liquid.

Please help! I do not want Thor to have another seizure. :( Any ideas on what I can do?

-HippieLizards

lizardmom25

Hatchling Member
I don't think that is a seizure, I think he might be aspirating water into his lungs. If he doesn't NEED the bath, maybe stop bathing him for a while. If he is aspirating water, it can cause respiratory issues fairly quickly. I really don't think its seizures since it only happens after a bath.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Oh, Ok thank you!! I do only give my beardies baths if they are dirty. Thor tried some raspberries and strawberries yesterday and his face was completely red. That's why I gave him the bath. (Lol, His face still is red though).

So if I can't give him baths anymore, than how am I supposed to give him water? He always drinks in the bath. Although any time I give him water he spits up clear liquid. I'm syringe feeding him again because he has stopped eating solid greens so I'm feeding him a baby food which its only Ingredients are zucchini, spinach and peas.

It has spinach though. Would It still be ok to feed him that baby food? I Have been feeding him baby food I just mentioned with Baby food that's just mango, and another baby food that's just mashed up turkey (the other two ingredients were water and cornstarch). Every night I have been giving him the recommended dosage of liquid calcium (0.25 ML) that said on the bottle. Is that ok? or Is it too much or too little?

Thank you for your help! :blob5:

-HippieLizards.

lizardmom25

Hatchling Member
Ideally, dragons get all the water they need from their insects and veg. If you are feeding baby food, it contains a large content of water. It sounds like he is aspirating when you are giving water.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Most dragons will drink as babies + should be sprayed daily. As adults they may or may not drink but most will if given the chance. For some reason he is extremely thirsty and drinks too much too fast. Don't stop offering water, but use an eyedropper to drip it on his snout [ or a spray bottle ] while he's in his tank on the floor and put a shallow plastic lid under his chin. As the water is dripped/sprayed on his snout + rolls down to the lid he'll probably lower his head + have a drink. Otherwise you can still give him a very shallow but warm soak for a few minutes but don't let him drink as much. And like the other poster mentioned, baby food provides hydration as well so you could add a bit of extra water to that if he's eating it.

It would be a good idea to have him tested for ADV [ atadenovirus ] That can cause neurological problems + seizures. One of the mods. here works with the lab that is working on a cure for it and they do testing, you can p.m. Drache613 [ Tracie ] if you want the test, it's quite inexpensive.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ok, Thanks! :) I Have been spraying him with a water bottle and he drinks from it and I have been adding water to his baby food.

I Asked my vet recently about if he had ADV and about the test, and She said it wouldn't be worth it for the ADV test because sometimes its a false negative. So should I still try it? I Mean it was the less experienced vet that time. The head vet is much more experienced. So I will ask him about the ADV test at my next visit. I will try to get another appointment for daisy and Thor soon.

Thank you so much! I will keep Y'all posted on his progress. :)

-HippieLizards.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is Thor doing?
I am really happy to hear that his skin is clearing up now after some shedding.
There are false negatives, but, not often. It only happens if the dragon is not shedding the virus
much or is in very low levels at the time of testing. However, there are no false positives.
As suggested, go slow with getting fluids into him in case he is taking in too much at one time,
which happens somewhat frequently here. Have you made a greens slurry for him? You can mix
greens along with some squash or sweet potato baby food for him, to help hydrate him & get
some weight on him.
The hard finger, has that gotten any bigger since you got him? My first thought was renal issues,
but maybe not necessarily gout. Since he is so thirsty that is an indication of kidney problems
but if caught early you can completely fix it. The finger though, that could be gout type
symptoms, but not sure.
I hope he had a good day today.

Tracie

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Thor has been doing very well today. His finger has not gotten any bigger. I Have already made a greens slurry for him. It's zucchini, spinach, peas baby food, Mango baby food, turkey baby food, 1 tsp of rep-cal powder calcium, 1 tsp herptivite, and a pinch of finely ground egg shell (the shells were baked in the oven at 350F, then put into the blender to be made into a fine powder).

He has been very active today. So that's good. :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The slurry sounds great, lots of nutritious stuff. :) One BIG adjustment is to put MUCH less calcium and herptivite in ! 1 teaspoon is waaaay too much, that's enough for 2 months of feedings. Just put a tiny pinch in, that will be fine. :)

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Oh. Lol, I made a lot of the slurry that I've been feeding him day by day and I'm going to continue doing so for a month or more. Whoops. :| The bottle said do 1 tbsp for the food and I thought that was way to much. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaineyPoo
Top Bottom