Rescued Beardie Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comish

I have had reptiles for years but am new to Beardies. I decided to take on a 3 year old female that was turned into a petshop because the person could not afford to care for her.

The enclosure I have is fine with the proper lighting, UVB bulbs etc. She seems to enjoy the larger space. She was cramped into a small 10 gallon.

I have a couple of questions being new to this breed.

I just got her yesteday and she does not appear to be eating...but she is active. Is this just because she needs to get use to her new enclosure?

Also how often should she be handled? I have taken her out a couple of times but she seems a little "spooked" this morning.

Lastely is it more important for her to have "space" in the enclosure or articles to climb on such as branches and rocks?

Any help would be appreciate as I want to give her the best care possible.

thanks

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hello there.
How nice of you to take on this old gal.

There are a few special steps you do need to take when rescuing a dragon to make sure she has a nice clean bill of health.

First of all its a nice long bath.
Most dragons kept in stores dont get regular soakings and they can become dehydrated really easily.
You want to run the bath so the water is warm, but not hot, and is no deeper than her armpits.
You may want to start off with a shallow bath because if its new to her she may be a little frightened to become completely immersed in water.
Even if she does not drink directly from the water as long as the water is covering her vent she will be absorbing the moisture.
Bathing also incorages bowel movements.

Secondly its a great idea to get a faecal done at the vets.
Dragons can pick up all sorts of worms and paracites with improper care.
If you call up to drop off a faecal sample at a vets its usually no more than $15 and its great to know your new girl is healthy.

Thirdly you want to watch her bowel movements.
Things like sand, meal worms and pinkies can cause impaction pretty quickly in dragons. Especially with improper cared for dragons.
She may not poop until a few days after she has eaten with you, so keep an eye on her bowel movements.
If she starts to eat and you dont see a bowel movement in a couple of days then we can try giving her some natural stimulants to pass any blockages such as apple sauce, pumpkin and olive oil.

Can you answer some basic set up questions for us please?
Im sure you have everything tip top but there is just SO much incorrect information about bearded dragons out there that we always like to check with our newer members.

What size is your tank?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?

In regards to handling I would keep it to a minimum until she begins to eat regularly. I would only handle her during her bath and perhaps once more for 5 or so minutes druing the day.
Dragons are notorious for adjusting badly to change, and it may take even a couple of weeks to get her to settle down enough to eat.
Relocation stress can last a couple of days or a coupld of weeks. Every dragon is different of course!

In order for you two to bond whilst you are keeping handling to a minimum its a great trick to put a section of one of your old tshirts in her viv.
This way she becomes used to your scent in a non threatening manner, so it is one less barrier for you to break down when you start spending more time together.

Her lack of appetite could be due to relocation stress or impaction. If we get onto day 4 and she hasnt nibbled anything we can have a chat about giving her a protein boost with some babyfood.

In regards to climbing vs space it depends on the dragon.
Dex was never a fan of climbing so I she ended up with only a few low rocks to climb on, whereas Miso is a tiny monkey who isnt happy unless she is climbing and leaping!
If you offer your girl somewhere to climb in the viv and some space Im sure she will let you know what she likes.

We're always happy to help and we LOVE photos (hint hint) so ask away if you have any more questions.

I warn you rescuing is addictive!
I started off with one and Im now on my third!

Holly

Comish

Original Poster
What size is your tank? Vision Cage 24 x 24 x 14 Commercial Grade Reptile Display Cage...glass doors on front.
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? Gentle Touch Biodegradable and eatable pellets.
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? Fluorescent
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? Zoo Med Reptile Sun 5.0
How old is your UVB bulb? 1 day old
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? 4 to 6 Inches
Do you use a separate basking bulb? Yes
What kind and what is the wattage? Zoo Med 100 Watt reflective base
What are the basking temps? 100
What is the cool side temp? 78
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? Temp Gun and have digital thermometer with probe on the basking side
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? From underneath the bulb at her height
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? No
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. Fresh veggies gut loaded crickets this afternoon
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? Plan is for veggies in the morning, crickets or worms at night.
Do you gut load (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? Yes
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? Reptocal Calcium with Vitamin D3
How many days a week do you use each of them? Every other day
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? None yet
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? Not yet.
Bath will be this afternoon

Comish

Original Poster
OK Bath was done...she freaked at first then settled down and seemed to like it.

About 10 minutes after the bath I found poops in her cage. I take it that is a good sign. :blob5:

Thanks for the help in this new adventure.

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
Sounds like your husbandry is good. It may take her a few days or even up to a week to start eating again - it's common for them to undergo some stress when they move to a new home. I'm glad you were able to take her in and give her a nice life! We would love to see some pictures of her. :D

Comish

Original Poster
She ate some gut loaded crickets this afternoon...so I guess we are off to a good start

IMG_0060.JPG

IMG_0061.JPG

Comish

Original Poster
Ok I have have her for a couple weeks now and she does not like her greens, has eaten about 10 crickets every other day, and a worm or two. She does not seem to be to interested in food.

So far she seems to be deficating fine. But I am concerned about her lack of eating.

For a gal her age, 3 yrs approx, what should she weigh? Should she be eating every day?

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Hi, I can't answer all your questions but I think I can get a few.
She should weigh around 500 grams.
What greens are you offering ?
This is a great site for all feeders and when or if to feed:
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html
She is most likely not eating much due to relocation stress, just let her settle in and do place a worn tee in her enclosure for your scent.
For a dragon this age, 40-50 a week feeder insects broken up to some each day is good.
What kind of worms are you offering ? Some are better than others.
I hope this helped out !
Janie
And she is lovely, you are wonderful for taking her in ! I am sure in no time she will be snuggling on your chest, and kissing you !

Comish

Original Poster
What greens are you offering ? Cauliflower, mustard greens, romain lettuce
She is most likely not eating much due to relocation stress, just let her settle in and do place a worn tee in her enclosure for your scent...Will do.
What kind of worms are you offering ? Some are better than others. Superworms, butterworm, Hornworms ordered
She is a little underweight...any suggestions for getting plumped up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom