rescued "baby" beardie yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just rescued this little thing off criagslist, she/he is supposed to be nearly a year old, until yesterday they had fed her only juvenile dragon pellets and as the lady said she gave it small meal worms every once in a while, she also had some zilla calcium spray that she said she had used but it's completely full. For heat the poor thing had a small heat pad under the left side of her tank and a "heat" light on the right side, which the heat light was a black light and a low watt one. The lady had "upgraded" the little one from a 10 gallon to a 15 gallon tall. I've attached the pics. the lady had sent me of the little guy and his/her set up. And after I was there and talked to the lady this isn't her first dragon she told me she used to have a adult dragon but it had died and so she had gotten two babies and had them in the 10 gallon, and that she "had one of each type a light one and a dark one" but she would never say what happened to the other one and the vibe I got was that it had died.
I've had one rescue beardie before (still have him really, he's my buddy) but this was a 3 year old male that I had rescued. I have alot of experience with animals and getting them up to being healthy, but I don't have much experience with one this undersized. I currently have her in quarantine away from my other beardies. I removed all the stuff in her terrarium, and put paper down and gave her a heat rock (note: a rock to absorb heat not a heat rock that you plug in or anything), I gave her a basking bulb and changed her bar light from an aquarium one to a repti sun. The lady I got her from had a thermometer on the outside and she was saying how it kept the temp great, when I got home and looked at it it was a fish thermometer that only goes to 88 degrees, And judging by that, the temp of her house and the temp the old light and the heat pad put out I don't think the little one ever got above 88 degrees. Now right now I still have her in the 15 gallon, I have a bigger tank to upgrade her but I thought I would take it kinda slow and let her stay in a tank she knew for a week or two and get her used to hunting, she has never had crickets and was very confused when I offered them, I offered her a small wax worm and she ate it right up she seems to recognize worms as food but not crickets, i gave her a couple worms yesterday but I dusted them with rep-cal calcium, and after she ate the worms she did try the crickets and ended up eating about 20 or so small crickets. this morning I gave her time to warm up and then fed her a little she ate the couple dusted worms I gave her but was confused by the crickets again and didn't eat them, she's interested in them but seems kinda timid to try them. I only have her basking temp at about 95-96 degrees right now, I thought I would work her up to the correct temp as this is already alot hotter than her previous set up and in the old set up she really didn't have a good basking spot, but she has already taken to the basking spot, and seems alot happier yesterday when the lady tried to put her hand in the tank the little one puffed up and tried to bite her, but she seems fine if I put my hand in there and he/she just lets me pick her up. But she seems very alert today and seems to be doing well. I wanted to see if what every one else thought I think I'm doing stuff correctly but I want to make sure I am. So please let me know your thoughts and imput.

these are the two pics I had gotten from the lady before I got her.
this is pretty much a pic of her and how small she is.
Picture172.jpg

This is her entire set up.
Picture171.jpg

please note this if from before I got her, I have gotten rid of the mouse chewy log and the piece of firewood and changed her lights, ect, ect. as a stated above.

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
Great temps, huh? Wow... I can't believe she actually thought she was taking good care of that dragon. At least she seems alert, when she's comfortable enough and you get a chance and can measure her? She looks like she is about the same size as my stunted 6 month dragon, or smaller. Congrats on the rescue, and good luck!

daydreamingCimorene

Original Poster
I know some people are just wacked out. She really isn't very big, she seems really comfortable and seems to like me so I can get a length on her tonight probably. My dragon thats about the same age like within a month of her is triple her length if not more.

starrchine

awww that poor baby :) I'm so glad you found her!! She almost looks starved. What a tough little cookie! I'm sure with the love and care that you will give her, she is going to thrive! i'd just continue to feed her as much as she will eat and hopefully she will put some weight on her. Did the lady mention whether she'd ever been given a bath?

daydreamingCimorene

Original Poster
I don't think so because she wouldn't let the lady pick her up, and the lady didn't really know how to pick her up. She did have a water dish so she could have got moister from it, though it had been used in a sand tank because it still had sand stuck on the sides. she definitely a tough little one though thats for sure.

I was looking for a dragon on criagslist, but I was looking for an adult because I just finished the whole baby dragon thing with mine , but I emailed this lady because in her post she said she had a year old female, but when I asked for a pic and she sent me this there was no way I couldn't try and get her out of there it took me two weeks to get the lady to agree to let me get her, because the lady needed money for a daybed..... she lived in a nice house atleast 3 bedrooms, with wood floors, new everything, in a suburb area of eugene. She really didn't have any excuse for this other than simply not caring.

Freeie

Extreme Poster
If shes almost a yr old she isnt a baby any more :D So thats a good thing. Wow she sure looks dinky :( Have you tried veggies yet? If she wont eat veggies feed her baby squash if she cant hunt crickets right now add chicken babyfood to the squash it gives them both of what they need and you can add the calcium/vits to the babyfood. We just rescued a dinky 15 month old she pretty much came to us as yours did. Ours lived in a litterbox.(cat used it) This little thing is alot smaller than our Zorina. How long is she? I bet you will get her healthy in no time. Plenty of baths and warmth and good food and alot of love :D She still has time to grow.

beardieluv

Sub-Adult Member
She's a year old?..... :shock: wow. how big is she? Thanks for saving her. And Free, they are ALL babies. Shoot Charlie's almost a year and he's still my baby :D

Angiecountrygirl

Juvie Member
Awww, that poor little baby makes me so sad. :cry:
I must admit when I saw the pictures, it made me so angry :evil: , that lady should be ashamed of herself.
Thank you so much for rescuing that little pooper- I'm glad she's in good hands now. God Bless...

Freeie

Extreme Poster
RolandKyramere":31ca6 said:
Freeie":31ca6 said:
We just rescued a dinky 15 month old she pretty much came to us as yours did. Ours lived in a litterbox.(cat used it)
Wait, Zorina actually lived in a litterbox???
Her 10 gal viv had sand in it and the cat would get in it and go poddy. When we got Z she smelled like cat pee. Took a few days of baths to get the smell off her.

Hows your little one doing Daydreaming?

beardieluv

Sub-Adult Member
The cat did WHAT?! ANd the owners let the cat do that? How did it even get in there?! And where did it even get the idea?!?!? THE MADNESS! haha seriously though, that's horrible. I still can't get over the fact she's supposed to be a year, there's no way.

daydreamingCimorene

Original Poster
Ok so I measured her and she's 8 inches exactly. She was doing good but I think she over ate yesterday, because she threw up, since then she hasn't really went after crickets or worms, but I haven't tried her this morning (shes still warming up right now), she also has no idea what greens are but she did eat one piece yesterday when she ate a worm. I got the squash, and the chicken baby food I'm going to try it after I offer her live food. I gave her a bath and judging by her reaction she has never had one before but after a couple minutes she calmed down and seemed to enjoy it.

daydreamingCimorene

Original Poster
i've been giving her the squash and chicken baby food for a couple days now, I mixed them together and added a bit of vitamins to it, I've been feeding her with a syringe. taking her out holding her and slowly put it to her mouth and put little bits on her mouth, she seems to really like it but seems to grow tired of it quickly and wants to go, I think it's just because she has a short attention span so i let her run around a little then offer her some more until she doesn't seem to want anymore. But does anyone know about how much she should be eating like per setting or anything? This morning she 1 1/2 cc's of the mix but thats the most she's ate at once yet.

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Zorina is 8 inches bigger than your little one she will only eat 10 ml of the squash/chicken mix with her vits added she will take her calcium pretty well. Zorina was the same way you say your little one is. She couldnt sit still very long. But her eating has increased slowly. It might take them time to get used to everything. Zorina will eat bugs but she wont touch a veggie if her life depended on it. I hope she contiunes to improve for you little by little. We would love to see pictures :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom