Rescued a couple beardies last weekend. (Anyone want one?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floof

Juvie Member
Last week, I came across an ad on the Portland Craigslist for two bearded dragons. Apparently, they'd been found abandoned on a property managed by the poster's employer, and he had decided to take them home and try to find a good home on CL. Of course, they were "FREE," and I'm a total sucker for rescue beardies and "free," so we made the almost 3 hour drive down to Portland to pick them up.

Boy, are they total sweethearts! But, since bringing them home, I've come to realize I don't have the space for 3 beardies, and don't forsee having that space anytime in the reasonable future. As well, in the event of the girls needing vet care, I don't have the money to handle BOTH sets of bills. I can handle one (which is good, because I'm already attached to the smaller of the pair!), but it appears the best thing to do for the other is to find someone in the area who wants to take on a rescue.

I'm not totally sure if this is in the right place, or if it should be in the "Free" section.. But they are rescues and anyone adopting "Buttercup" should understand that ahead of time.

They do look to be in relatively good health (relative to what I've seen around here, anyway, and better than my Man Ray was when he came to me). Tail nips, presumably a result of being housed together. Buttercup has a damaged foot--one toe is nipped off at the end, and the other two look like they were broken at some point (presumably in the same event that nipped the one toe) and are stunted and "bent out of shape" as a result. They're both eating like champs on crix, dubias, and greens, and their poo's look pretty good, though Buttercup hasn't pooped once yet without needing to be soaked... They're probably calcium deficient, though I haven't seen any signs of MBD... They were never supplied with UVB light, though they did come with a container of RepCal w/ vit. D3 (whether their old owners ever used it or not is another question!). They were/are housed on tile, so no concerns of substrate-related impaction. They're presumably adults (or, at least, young adults), coming in at 17 and 19.5 inches (not accounting for tail nips), and weighed 425 and 511 grams (respectively) when they got here. Buttercup is, again, the larger of the two, coming in at 19.5 inches from nose to tail... nip, and 511 grams.

So, does anyone in the Pacific Northwest want to adopt "Buttercup" the rescue beardie? I'm located in the Willapa Bay area of Washington, about an hour west of Chehalis/Centralia (which, in turn, puts me 2-3 hours from Seattle or Portland). I'd rather not have to drive especially far, as my funds are a bit limited right now and, for being such a small vehicle, my truck is a total gas guzzler. I can meet within reason. I don't have an enclosure to send with her, unfortunately. I cannot and will not ship her... I've never shipped a live reptile before, and I'm not going to make a rescue beardie suffer through my first experience as "sender." (Haha.) Feel free to PM me or post here if you're interested in rescuing Buttercup!

Now for pics. Unfortunately, the internet here is total crap and I keep forgetting to take my camera along whenever we go somewhere with a fast enough connection for uploading pics, so I only have the pics the guy who gave them to me sent. Buttercup is the larger of the pair, with the dark nails--on the right in the first two pics, and at the front of the photo on the last. I've named the smaller one (my "keeper") Blossom... I was headed for a Powerpuff Girls theme, lol. I'll try to get some better pics uploaded soon!
photo3.jpg

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

jeritta

Sub-Adult Member
they are very pretty I hope you find a home for buttercup. Good luck and thank you for the rescue.

fez09

Extreme Poster
Buttercup is gorgeous! I love the Powepuff girl names, very cute! I live in Spokane, WA so it's quite a drive! If I lived closer I would take her in a heart beat! Good luck finding her a great home!

Floof

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks, both of you. And, Katrina, that sucks.. If only you lived some 6 hours closer! lol!

Crud. The dog has some sort of lump on her eye lid (fingers crossed it's not a tumor) and Man Ray has diarrhea. Argh, more vet bills! With all this, I may have to give Blossom up, too. =(

If anyone is interested in either of the girls, please let me know... If I can't find anyone here who wants to take them, I'll just surrender them to the local herp society (hopefully they have room for them both!).

jreed

hi i live in salem and might be able to take the girls from you we have three boys a girl a dog and a cat whats two more beardys lol drop me a line maybe we can work something out

Floof

Juvie Member
Original Poster
jreed":1zonzgah said:
hi i live in salem and might be able to take the girls from you we have three boys a girl a dog and a cat whats two more beardys lol drop me a line maybe we can work something out

Hi, Jreed. You must have your private messages disabled, because the site wouldn't let me send this to you via PM.

Thanks for inquiring about the girls. I have a few questions for you...

First and foremost, both of these beardies will need vet care, and soon. It's easy to say "what's two more beardies," but sometimes one or two beardies can make the difference between affording them or not, especially when it comes to vet trips. I couldn't tell you what they would cost, as your vet's fees would vary from mine, and I don't know how well or bad off they are compared to what my boy was, but my boy was easily $400+ in vet bills when we first rescued him (not counting later vet trips for the usual stuff like parasites). That could be $800 or more in vet bills to get these two girls back in good shape.

Which brings me to my first question. Are you prepared to spend a thousand dollars on these girls' vet bills? I know I couldn't, which is why they're on here looking for a new home in the first place. The last thing any of us needs, though, is for someone to adopt them only to find they, too, are lacking the funds to pay the vet.

Secondly, a major concern for me... Do you have any breeding intentions in the future? These are two adult females. A very tempting acquisition for anyone interested in breeding... However, breeding may very well kill them. Being rescues that have been deprived of UVB and, presumably, a proper diet, they are most likely suffering from MBD and a calcium deficiency, along with who knows what. They could get eggbound and die... And that's even if they form the eggs properly, considering how much calcium egg development sucks from the female. This should be a strong consideration for you or whoever else adopts them, as this means they cannot be bred. Ideally, they should NEVER be bred, as it's no guarantee they will ever get over the issues that make breeding such a life-threatening task for them.

I think that sums up my main concerns... Thanks!

definitions

Juvie Member
I gotta say they are gorgeous ladies. They look healthy but, you would no better you can't tell by just looking at a picture. I am sorry you are having a hard time finding a home for them. I wish I could help but, I live to far away. Good Luck in your search! I hope the best for you and your girls.

jreed

myself and my best friend live together they would be well loved and would see a vet reguarly the bills would be some what painfull but we would handle it as for breeding no we wouldnt use them for that in any way we are not breeders just have soft hearts and think all things need a good home

Floof

Juvie Member
Original Poster
jreed":3ot5two5 said:
myself and my best friend live together they would be well loved and would see a vet reguarly the bills would be some what painfull but we would handle it as for breeding no we wouldnt use them for that in any way we are not breeders just have soft hearts and think all things need a good home

Sounds fair. I should clarify on the vet bills though. I'm not talking a thousand dollars in vet bills sometime in the future, but a thousand in vet bills over the next month or two (my boy accumulated his $400+ in the course of two vet visits, a month apart). I'm not sure you realize that, specifically, and I wouldn't want you to end up in a bad place financially or having to put off necessities because you weren't prepared for the expensive vet bill.

On another note, it would be a good idea to separate them, so you need to consider a second enclosure & supplies.

If you're prepared for the immediate vet and other expenses and can offer them a good home, feel free to PM me your email addy and we'll discuss meet-up.

Floof

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks, OzzysMom, I think so, too. =)

Hmm, updated on the other thread, forgot to update here!

We moved to Utah a week ago. The herp society's rescue program in Washington never got back to me after I contacted them, so I still have the girls. The reason we moved was because of my dad getting a job offer, so I may be able to keep them after all! (Plus, it's kind of hard to part with a creature you just traveled 1500 miles with, lol.) However, if the PERFECT home comes along and is in the area (greater SLC area), I am still willing to part with one or both girls.

(Also, a recommendation for a good vet in this area would be nice. Herp Vet Connection didn't have much on any vets around here... Any info, reviews, opinions on good herp vets in the area would be highly appreciated. The only decent-sounding vets on HVC for Utah are in Sandy and Provo, and the last reviews were from 5+ years ago!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom