Rescue Beardie Sudden Death?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I adopted a 1-year-oldish beardie from a coworker about a week or two ago. She was terrified of him, got stuck caring for him after her kids lost interest, and had him on nothing but spinach and crickets. He wasn't hand-tame at all--did a threat display if anyone even got near his enclosure. Over the past week I've been spending at least a half hour daily very passively around his cage, stroking him occasionally if he seemed calm enough, and had gotten to the point where I could stroke the sides of his belly and he wouldn't react. I was definitely falling for this sweetheart. :(

I hadn't owned a beardie in a while so I looked it up, and found that spinach can be toxic. Given that this little boy ate nothing but that his whole life, I was pretty concerned and switched him immediately to dandelion, basil, pea pods, and mustard greens, grown organically (as well as crickets from the pet store every couple of days). I dusted his food, gave him fruit every other day, kept his cage around 95 (we had a bit of a cold snap recently, but with the lamp and the heating pad he definitely had a spot of at least 100-105 at one end of the cage). I hand-fed him water until he turned his nose up at the water dropper every day and made sure he had a nice big pool of warm, clean water to soak in. Yesterday, since it was cooler, I gave him a pool of warm water and put the lamp on it, and he sat in it all day. I fed him some mango along with his greens and he seemed fine. This morning before work he seemed a tad bit lethargic, but I didn't see anything severely wrong--gave him a couple of quick pets with his morning greens.

I just went out to check on him and turn his lamp off before bedtime, and I think he might be dead. I have no idea what I might have done wrong. I have him on Aspen bedding--so no impaction from substrate as far as I can tell--and nothing else had changed. He isn't reacting to my gentle tapping on the glass near where he's lying and I'm hoping I'm just overreacting, but he's usually very alert when I come out, even if he's been sleeping. What did I do? What could I have done? Some expert advice would be very much appreciated, as I'm heartbroken to have lost my little rescue beardie.

dylanravenj

Sub-Adult Member
Are you positive he's dead?? Try warming him up quickly, he might end up actually being alive. There have been a lot of cases where people thought their dragons were dead but were actually mistaken!

popsickle18

Juvie Member
Please double check! My boy won't wake up for me until I pick him up. I really hope he is just sleeping. Please keep us updated.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Hopefully he's ok. Just to let you know aspen anything is toxic to beardies. I would get rid of the subtrate and you can do paper towels as a temporary fix.

slantrhymes

Original Poster
Oof. I am just a neurotic mama....went out this morning expecting the worst and he was up leaning over his empty food bowl giving me the side-eye. I went out and double-checked and I didn't see any breathing or movement at all last night. I guess he is just a helluva heavy sleeper.

I'm so sorry! :oops:

slantrhymes

Original Poster
destiny1998":2irpzyz2 said:
Hi. Hopefully he's ok. Just to let you know aspen anything is toxic to beardies. I would get rid of the subtrate and you can do paper towels as a temporary fix.

Okay! I'm running to the pet store for crickets anyways. I'll pick up some reptile carpet for him.

Thanks for the advice!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
destiny1998":14ukcwia said:

I don't believe aspen is toxic to beardies....maybe I'm mistaken? It's safely used for many other species or reptiles but it's a poor substrate for dragons due to the size of the particles and the tendency for wood to splinter and swell. Both of which are injury risks.

Pine and cedar wood are considered potentially toxic to most reptiles and small pets. Maybe this is what you are meaning?

@slantrhymes - I'm so glad to hear you little one is just a heavy sleeper!! I any imagine your relief! have you looked at shelf liner or tile? Reptile carpet is a bit gross when it comes to keeping to clean.

slantrhymes

Original Poster
Oh, is it? Dang...no, but I'll try the shelf liner if the carpet I just bought is seriously gross. Thanks for the tip! :)

Also, he let me take him on a walk around the neighborhood clutched to my chest just now after his bath. Not only is he not dead, he's officially letting me pick him up now! :mrgreen:

PS to Taterbug: I love your little western hognose! I have one of those, too!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
slantrhymes":1x49j6dj said:
Oh, is it? Dang...no, but I'll try the shelf liner if the carpet I just bought is seriously gross. Thanks for the tip! :)

Also, he let me take him on a walk around the neighborhood clutched to my chest just now after his bath. Not only is he not dead, he's officially letting me pick him up now! :mrgreen:

PS to Taterbug: I love your little western hognose! I have one of those, too!

If you keep it washed its fine (most folks have a couple so they can swap it out) I just don't like the idea of poop on carpet.

Sounds like he is warming up to you! That's great.

Hoggies are awesome, they have such adorable attitudes!! I'd live to see pics of your critters!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great news he is still with you. :D It sounds like he is enjoying his new home, too.
For reference, they can slow their respirations down to 2-4 or less breaths per minute which explains why you may or may not see them breathing. Their metabolisms fall way down overnight, too.

I am glad he is doing well now.

Tracie

icelore

Juvie Member
Taterbug":4r542ekn said:
destiny1998":4r542ekn said:
I don't believe aspen is toxic to beardies....maybe I'm mistaken? It's safely used for many other species or reptiles but it's a poor substrate for dragons due to the size of the particles and the tendency for wood to splinter and swell. Both of which are injury risks.

Pine and cedar wood are considered potentially toxic to most reptiles and small pets. Maybe this is what you are meaning?
This is correct chemically. Pine and cedar are toxic due to the fact that they are soft wood varieties and release phenols (that great smell!) that commonly cause respiratory issues and can build up in the system over time leading to organ damage. Aspen is a hard wood and is perfectly safe (chemically) for all animals to be around. Ingestion of small particles is another thing all together and is of course dangerous.

Slantrhymes - That is a huge scare! Wow, I don't know what I would do if I thought mine had passed on like that. :O I'm so glad that he was just pulling your leg - what a naughty dragon! At least he repaid scaring the crap out of you with being a bit more friendly, so all in all, I guess it was an ok price to pay. lol My dragon is a light sleeper - his open every time we walk by. I guess he never wants to miss a change that we might drop something tasty near him. :roll:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today? I hope he is steadily improving now for you. :D
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom