Reptiworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
I got my first order of Reptiworms today! Ordered them late Monday afternoon and already had them by 3pm today. All of them were alive, even in this disgusting Florida weather. And best part, Chief loved them!!! :blob8: If this is a good staple, I may never buy another cricket again.

I have a couple of stupid questions though...

What method do you use to remove the dirt they come in?

What do you feed these things? They come in a substrate without food, so what can I feed them so they don't die off? Do they need to be gutloaded like crickets?

Are they OK to use as a staple? Since they are already high is calcium, can I give Chief too much calcium by feeding these as his staple and his only source of protein?

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
They do make a good staple, you just need to adjust your dusting to fit the higher calcium diet. You will still need to dust calcium for the D3 if you are using a linear florescent tube light. Still use vitamin supplement as directed per a normal schedule. They do not require food at the larvae stage however, if one of the pupates into a fly, kill the fly and leave it in with the larvae, they will eat most of the flies soft tissue. If you keep them in their original containers, very near or on a A/C vent in the summer you can slow their metamorphosis down some. You do not want to refrigerate them as too cold of temperatures will kill them. Same with high heats. After feeding them if there are any left in the enclosure, they need to be removed. When left they may die and dry out turning into a hard sharp pointed little larvae spike or so to speak. LOL

When the black soldier fly larvae (reptiworm) changes to a dark grey/black they are more nutritious to feed as they are reaching their oldest stage in "larvaehood" (made up that word lol). However they are somewhat more firm then they were when they were white/tan in color.

:mrgreen:

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Forgot to add, the best way to get the substrate off of them is let them crawl out of it. The substrate is supposed to be digestible and not harmful to dragons but, yeah, let them crawl out of it or gently roll them in your finger tips. Another trick I have used is to get a few out and drops them from hand to hand blowing slightly/just enough to blow the debris away but not the worms. :wink:

Hey :) I'm a noob here but I've fed my beardies repitworms and phoenix worms. They are about the same price and same shipping. And I don't know if anyone else has had this experience, but I ordered reptiworms last week, got them on Wednesday of last week as expected. I ordered large from phoenix worms over the weekend. They shipped on Monday. Got them on Wednesday. Ok the difference was the size. Maybe this is just a weird thing that happened, but the phoenix large were 2x the size of the repitworm large. I can take a picture if you want to see. I still have some of the reptiworms on hand.

My dragons are all big eaters, I'm lucky lol :) There was no difference between what they ate and how fast they ate it. If I serve up anything that moves, they yom the dog snot out of them. So I guess they both taste good lol :D

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
ChiefsDaddy":26izu3i3 said:
I got my first order of Reptiworms today! Ordered them late Monday afternoon and already had them by 3pm today. All of them were alive, even in this disgusting Florida weather. And best part, Chief loved them!!! :blob8: If this is a good staple, I may never buy another cricket again.

I have a couple of stupid questions though...

What method do you use to remove the dirt they come in?I'm not totally sure what you mean, but they stay in the dirt they come in... you need to keep them at 55 - 60 degrees or else they turn black quick... when feeding, I usually put the amount I want to feed in the bowl about 1/2 hour before feeding (or even the night before) and they wiggle around a lot and remove the dirt themselves, then I just wipe it out of the bowl.. however the 'dirt' is not harmful to beardies, so it is ok if they still have some on there when being fed.

What do you feed these things? They come in a substrate without food, so what can I feed them so they don't die off? Do they need to be gutloaded like crickets?You dont need to feed them or gut load them.. they won't die, the will turn into flies if you don't keep them at a cooler degree, no gutloading needed, and they have the correct calcium:phosphorus ratio, so they don't need to be dusted with calcium either. You still need to dust with a multivitamin though 2x a week.

Are they OK to use as a staple? YES! they are a great staple!Since they are already high is calcium, can I give Chief too much calcium by feeding these as his staple and his only source of protein?No, you will not overload him with calcium by using these as your only feeder... however it is good to mix it up a bit so they don't get sick of the same thing all the time

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Beardednoob":unjdps0z said:
ChiefsDaddy":unjdps0z said:
Thanks for the help, noob! :D

How often will I need to dust for the D3?

Mmm I think it was Laruaj1055 who was talking about it.
Here >> viewtopic.php?f=18&t=152188

They is so much controversy about whether or not D3 needs to be added to a dragons diet when using the reptisun 10.0... with using the reptiworms, I would only dust once a week, MOST 2x a week 1 feeding with the calcium with D3... They also sell liquid multivitimins with D3, if you want to use that as your source of D3 instead of the Calcium...

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
BeardedDragonStore":351u3ztk said:
Hey :) I'm a noob here but I've fed my beardies repitworms and phoenix worms. They are about the same price and same shipping. And I don't know if anyone else has had this experience, but I ordered reptiworms last week, got them on Wednesday of last week as expected. I ordered large from phoenix worms over the weekend. They shipped on Monday. Got them on Wednesday. Ok the difference was the size. Maybe this is just a weird thing that happened, but the phoenix large were 2x the size of the repitworm large. I can take a picture if you want to see. I still have some of the reptiworms on hand.

My dragons are all big eaters, I'm lucky lol :) There was no difference between what they ate and how fast they ate it. If I serve up anything that moves, they yom the dog snot out of them. So I guess they both taste good lol :D

I would LOVE to see the difference in size! I thought the Phoenix worms were a lot more expensive? Where did you get yours from?

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
I just looked at Phoenixworms.com and noticed the lowered their prices A LOT.. they must have had to compete with reptiworms.com

suzjohnson

Sub-Adult Member
Beardednoob":ucjfcurz said:
ChiefsDaddy":ucjfcurz said:
Thanks for the help, noob! :D

How often will I need to dust for the D3?

Mmm I think it was Laruaj1055 who was talking about it.
Here >> viewtopic.php?f=18&t=152188

Coincidence abounds! Just about to ask all the same questions so at least now I have the reptiworm substrate issues under control. However, I won't be using them as the only live feeder but only replacing one 30 cricket meal with them, continuing to use crickets as the second meal and third meal. So should I dust the cricket with cal w/D3 once or twice a week as well as continuing with the vitamin dusting twice weekly?

Suzanne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom