reptiworms and dubias

Status
Not open for further replies.

jemiluc

I recently ordered some reptiworms. First time ordering them, are they supposed to smell like ammonia? I know the care sheet inside said if they have an odor to just let them air out. Which I did, and the smell did go a way, a little... I just wanted to make sure it's normal. Also, how many should I be feeding my boys? I know the whole as much as they can eat in 10-15 minutes, but Chubs wants more then 100 at a time.
Gavin is 7" and weighs 19 grams and will only eat crickets. Chubs is 14" and weighs 176 grams and will eat a shirt if I let him :p Also are these lengths/weights pretty normal? Sorry I have sooooo many questions, I couldn't get on all weekend, so I'm getting them all out there at once :lol:

One more thing, I live in an apartment and I'd like to start a Dubia colony (Dubia Beetles-hahaha). Can you give me some advice, or rather some reassurance that they aren't going to infest my building. I would be absolutley mortified if any of my neighbors found out.

Thanks and again, sorry for all the questions, especially if they've been asked and answered already.

lizzywoodwardBD

Hatchling Member
Well with dubias they need at least 85-90 degrees all the time to produce babies and they also need higher humidity so as long as you don't live in like Florida or Alabama or Georgia you should be fine. I have been keeping them for a couple years now and i haven't had any get out. Just make sure you put packaging tape around the top of the tub because they can't climb on that because it is so smooth. And as long as you don't drop any on the floor non should get out.

If you have anymore question i would be glad to answer them to the best of my knowledge.

Beth

jemiluc

Original Poster
Thanks Beth - omg, I just read that you have 12 beardies - you must have a huge dubia colony to feed that many.

Where did you get yours from when you started - and I live in Wisconsin :p so we have humidity most of the summer.

lizzywoodwardBD

Hatchling Member
When i first started i bought from the roach guy, he has pretty good deals and his roach chow is fairly cheap and they love it. Then as i needed them i would look on the classifieds page here and also on fauna to add a little to my colony as needed to boost it every so often.

And yes i have a lot of them right now, i have one 30 gallon tub and two that are a little smaller, full of dubias.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=961 This is the feeders for sale page on fauna and there is some females for sale for .90 cents right now which is a good price and he says if you buy all 60 he will pay for shipping. And 60 should be good enough for you right now and you can ask him if he can throw in like 20 males for a little extra and you will be on your way. But you can look through the pages at all the ads.

If you do start a colony i would wait at least 2 months before starting to feed from it so they can get a little established. If you buy adult females that could be already pregnant then it would be a little less time. But just make sure your colony can sustain it self before you start taking from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom