Reptile Island - worst pet store experience ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
saleen89559":1gocqqbe said:
I read the story.

The reason they don't do anything about it is because they are lazy and don't have a reason to go out there and go out of their normal schedules.

If you get more and more people, including TV and Newspapers reporting horrible stories about the place, ASPCA, Health Department, and Animal control will have no choice but to investigate it. It takes more persistence than just phone calls.

UPDATE:

I just got off the phone with the Orange County Animal Services. They are sending an officers over to the Reptile Island and its 3 locations immediately to investigate them. If anyone in the area can check on on this, that would be great.

See... It takes persistence and calls to the right places.

You have NO idea how many hours i spent on the phone with them!!
You dont know how many times they said they would go "check immediately" but they didnt do anything
i did everything i could to get them to help and it ended up being too late

saleen89559

Juvie Member
TAS,

Just be persistent. I am emailing a link to this discussion as well as my thoughts on it to the local ABC News Station in L.A. ABC7 for that matter.

Chair76

Hatchling Member
huh its not just reptile island but other places too like petsmart and petco. the petsmart i went to had hundreds of dead fish! and no they werent sleeping lol. someone or "beardie" the owner of this website should open stores across the country atleast one in everystate. and we can support them on this website by sending in money to build store. but maybe thats just a dream lol. But all i know when i get enough money im going to open up specialized reptile store thats meets every reptiles needs, and ill be the expert their since im going to school right now to be a Vet and then specialize in reptiles (called a Herp) and then maybe just maybe this website could be a store that sells everything all by the people in this website so we can pick out the bad stores and run them out of business and keep the good stores! :mrgreen: but thats a long shot and sorry for getting off topic but we should make a fourm about the reviews of good and bad stores so we know what to whatch out for. thanks for reading

MartianMonkey

Hatchling Member
almost all pet stores are bad about keeping animals. they are in it for the money and not the love of the animals. my local shop is owned by 2 men and you can tell that one of them actually likes animals and the other is a total ass to everyone and all the animals. he has the whole attitude of he don't give a flying fart about anything but is quick to take my money for when I purchase something. I used to love going to the store cause one of the owners sister would work there and she was a total animal lover no matter the animal. she is retired now and everytime I go in there it seems like I have to deal with the owner that doesn't care and won't walk away from the front desk to help you for nothing. If I had the ability I would purchase and close down every pet store just do to how all the animals are treated.

ok I am done ranting myself

Carnivorouszoo

Sub-Adult Member
Report them to the USDA they have to be liscensed with them to sell animals. The USDA will go in and inspect them and probably shut them down. They have been really heavy on bad animal sellers for the last two years and would probably be happy to check on it.

Kidster96

Hatchling Member
Someone here said petsmart and petco are really bad. I agree some are horrible but others aren't so bad. My local petsmart is actually quite wonderful. The tanks are always clean and you don't see those "sleeping" animals. The beardies are a bit tiny though but eh. The petco however.... it's horrible, there was 10 leopard geckos in one tank. :/

valcash

Sub-Adult Member
Another possible suggestion is to post on craigslist also about the horrible conditions and see if anyone else has noticed. Get people to notice and take a stand. BBB as well. This is very tragic.

valcash

Sub-Adult Member
MartianMonkey":1wbuht3m said:
If I had the ability I would purchase and close down every pet store just do to how all the animals are treated.
Then they would bring in an all new batch of animals and mistreat them too.

Carnivorouszoo

Sub-Adult Member
valcash":3d7nk7mb said:
MartianMonkey":3d7nk7mb said:
If I had the ability I would purchase and close down every pet store just do to how all the animals are treated.

I think they meant they would buy the stores not the animals.

valcash

Sub-Adult Member
Carnivorouszoo":2lemoiyu said:
valcash":2lemoiyu said:
MartianMonkey":2lemoiyu said:

I think they meant they would buy the stores not the animals.
That makes more sense. If someone is going to run a store where there are reptiles, it is not too much to ask that the animals be treated humanely, that is common sense. There are laws in place to prevent abuse (it amazes me that we even have to have laws like) and I hope those laws can be enforced and the animals can be helped.

Wow. I go to that store all the time because I live in Rancho Cucamonga too. I can't believe they did that. But it's true. These guys always have tons of beardies in a small cage and they don't know anything about care. I asked them a question about crested geckos one time, just to see what they would say, and they gave the wrong answer. I am no expert myself but I think I know what's right and wrong in care.

MartianMonkey

Hatchling Member
that is exactly what I meant...buy the store and then I would shove the ex-owner into a small cage not big enough for them to turn around and then stare at them through a glass window

CiaraAlexisOnFire

Juvie Member
Animal control never does anything :cry:
Maybe try calling better bussiness buero (sp?). My mom has called them on so many bad bussinesses, and every time they have done something.
I dont even understand how someone could treat any animal that way. I hope something gets done about it. Please keep us informed.

RowenJade

Juvie Member
I don't resort to violence but there would have been so much yelling on my part going on in that store they would have had to call the cops to get me out of there. Then I'd call all my friends and go lay down all day in front of their store with pictures and educating people till the cops got there and try to make the cops check out the conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom