Reptile Expo - Houston Repticon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unknownhope

Hatchling Member
I know several of you on here go to Reptile Expos.
I'm going to my first one in a couple of weeks and I'm excited!!

Aside from the fact that I know some of the breeders sell beardies too young.
I'm *probably* not buying a beardie there. Probably. My boyfriend is telling me no at the moment. :roll:
After hearing some stories about breeders selling beardies way too young, and them either dieing or getting sick, I know better than to buy any beardie less than six inches in length and two months old.

Either way I'd like to hear some of y'alls personal experiences, input, advice, and thoughts of them. Good or bad. :)

DC5Los

really??? wow you just informed me on something new, i can't believe that. i'm actually going to try to head to a show in NY coming up on the 28th i think it is. well for me I always buy my guys a lil big like on the 7'in, i'm gonna see if i buy a female juvi (probably a high bright colored sandfire, hypo, or golden yellow) not sure yet.

mistegirl

Reptile Expos are like putting a kid in a candy store for most Reptile lovers, in fact the last one I went to was when I finally decided I needed a beardie and picked up my little guy.

The downside of that is the bearded dragon breeders had a LOT of babies there and some were just trying to move them fast. I knew some about them, but not everything. So when the breeder dude told me "Oh you have a 30 gallon at home? You should get 2 of them! No no they'll be fine together and it'll be big enough for both of them when they grow up. Here, I'll give you 2 for $40." I said sure!

Luckly I found a good home for the second one when I found out the facts, and I can afford a bigger tank when Nef needs it.

So I guess I'm saying don't trust the advice of some guy trying to sell you stuff.

Other than that the prices will be pretty damn low. Dangerously low if you have impulse issues :) Female crested gecko for $25? Sure I'll take one of those too!

Snakes everywhere!!! Every size, every kind, don't be shocked if the show is 60% or more snakes. If you're into snakes boy will you extra love it.

Feeders! If you're looking to try something new and different in worm\roach\feeder land you'll usually find at least one table with all sorts of goodies. I never knew how big silkworms get! Really cool if you want to try something new without getting 200 of them and paying for shipping.

Last but not least you get to see some cool reptiles you may not see normally. The last show had a ton of different gecko species and chameleons. It was cool to see the rarer geckos that were around $800+ and I'd never actually buy.

Obviously things will vary depending on the size of the show and stuff, but at the very least you'll probably get a few fun hours of checking out reptiles :)

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Hi There,
Keep in mind that at least 2/3 of the people calling themselve breeders just arent. They buy dragons cheap and sell them cheap. I have done this myself when I run low on poopers. Or they are people that got 2 dragons threw them together hoping to make a fortune.
The difference between a breeder and these people is a breeder wont put out a sick or to young animal. The youngest animal I ever put on a table is 4 weeks. 8 out of 10 of my 4 week dragons are already 6 inches and eating like truckers....lol
On the occasion I buy dragons. I keep them from 2 to 4 weeks after purchase to access them. Theres doing business and doing ethical business. You will see mostly just doing business.

DC I will be in NY up on the stage come by and introduce yourself!!

Unknownhope

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the input so far everyone! I figured from the start that it would be like you were saying Tom, unfortunately. But none the less I'm excited to see animals I haven't seen before, and see the different feeders as well.

Is there any sort of feeders you would NOT recommend buying at a reptile expo? I don't want my babies to get parasites or get sick.
What about reptile supplies like calcium, hides, basking branches, tanks, etc. Do they sell those and are they any cheaper than Petsmart?

Boyfriend is still telling me I don't need another dragon. I'll convince him yet. ;)

I'm going to the Houston Repticon on December 4th and 5th. Anyone going to that one?

mistegirl

Unknownhope":3qrcnw6t said:
What about reptile supplies like calcium, hides, basking branches, tanks, etc. Do they sell those and are they any cheaper than Petsmart?

The ones I went to had plenty of supplies, but most priced about the same. The best deals I usually see are for driftwood. The large pet store prices on that stuff are just way out of wack.

Unknownhope

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
mistegirl":34dwjauc said:
Unknownhope":34dwjauc said:

The ones I went to had plenty of supplies, but most priced about the same. The best deals I usually see are for driftwood. The large pet store prices on that stuff are just way out of wack.

Well that's a bummer. I was hoping to find some decor for cheap. :lol:

Derek32

Juvie Member
DC5Los":1ir7t9kr said:
really??? wow you just informed me on something new, i can't believe that. i'm actually going to try to head to a show in NY coming up on the 28th i think it is. well for me I always buy my guys a lil big like on the 7'in, i'm gonna see if i buy a female juvi (probably a high bright colored sandfire, hypo, or golden yellow) not sure yet.

is it in white plains?? i live in ny and would love to go to an expo but just knowing that im only aloud one reptile in the house would ruin it lol

DC5Los

Derek32":17rdb1q9 said:
DC5Los":17rdb1q9 said:

is it in white plains?? i live in ny and would love to go to an expo but just knowing that im only aloud one reptile in the house would ruin it lol
someone answered it already, lol, but yes it is

Unknownhope":1mceryl7 said:
Boyfriend is still telling me I don't need another dragon. I'll convince him yet. ;)

I'm going to the Houston Repticon on December 4th and 5th. Anyone going to that one?

Pick me! Pick me! I went to the Repticon here in Houston this summer, and my boyfriend talked me into getting our ball python... Will definitely be going again Dec 4th or 5th, but we've agreed ABSOLUTELY no more pets! We have 5 mouths to feed already, haha. They do have a lot of items, not much less than pet stores, but I found some stuff I hadn't seen like a bigger cactus for Francie... Even if you don't buy anything it's cool to see all the different kinds of reptiles, all the morphs, and everything. Very neat experience, I'll be there fo sho. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom