Reptile Basking Spot lamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpiccione

WOW. Since the warmer weather has arrived in upstate NY, I decided to lower the wattage for the heat daytime bulb. The pet store was out of the Sunglo. So I bought the Reptile BAsking Spot lamp, that sucker got up to 155 degrees. I was sure glad to have my temp probe in there testing the new bulb. Took it out asap. I like the bulb but that 75 watt lamp would have cooked my bd's. Maybe try a 25 watt Reptile Basking Spot Lamp?
:shock:

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
you could try a flood light instead. it would spread the heat a bit more than the spot. Also, what distance are those temps being measured from?

rpiccione

Original Poster
Distance was about 10 inchs. That is where the hammocks are positioned. I could lower them a bit but they seem to like it there.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
That temp seems aweful high at a distance of 10". What watt bulb are you using? What type/brand thermometer are you using also? I can't imagine a 25 watt is going to be enough heat! What size enclosure do you have?

Sorry about so many questions....just trying to cover everything.

Dawn :D

rpiccione

Original Poster
Hi Dawn,
Pretty name, same as my wife.
I'm currently using Sun Glo Basking Lamp. They are 100 watt. Since the warmer weather hit us that bulb seems to be getting the basking area 5 degrees hotter. So I went to buy that bulb in a 75 watt version and they were out. So I tried the one mentioned in the first post. That sucker could cook raw meat. I will look for the 75 wat Sun Glo Lamp at another pet store Thursday afternoon. You should check out my pics.http://picasaweb.google.com/Wolfpack5676/TankLights#
http://picasaweb.google.com/Wolfpack5676/RickyLucy#
I found the tank and stand on Craigs List for cheap $250. I put a little top on it and poof magic. It is a 125 gallon tank with a divider. It is like they each have their own 50 gallon breeder tank. I don't need the night time heat lamps since it warmed up.

Ask as many questions as you like, I enjoy the blogging.
Thanks,
Rich :lol:

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello again Rich,

We actually have a few Dawn's floating around this site! I love the names of your beardies...Lucy & Ricky! I am going to take a wild guess here(not to offend) but, with the fact that your wife's name is Dawn and those names you chose for your beardies.....you are not a youngster! :p :wink: . Most Dawn's are well up in their 30's, if not 40's(like myself)....am I correct in saying this? Honestly, I'm not even sure most of the younger generation would even know who Ricky & Lucy are. :lol:

Anyway....I totally got sidetracked there! Your viv's are very nice! As far as your heat bulbs go, you don't neccesarily have to get store bought basking bulbs. You can actually use ordinary household bulbs(alot cheaper!). Just make sure they are bright white bulbs like halogen(not soft white).. I hope you don't mind, but I am going to point out a few things I noticed in your pics. Are you using the colored bulbs at night? The reason I ask is that beardies prefer complete darkness for sleep. The colored bulbs don't allow them restful sleep. The other thing I noticed is your uvb lights seem pretty far away from your beardies, I could be wrong, pictures can be deceiving. How far are the uvb's from the bottom of the tank? It is best to get your beardie within 6-8" of the uvb source. To get them closer to their uvb, you can put a branch or log under it to raise them higher towards the light. One of them looked like it had a little bridge of sorts, but I couldn't tell how far from the uvb it was.

What type & brand thermometer are you using? Is it digital? I ask this because some thermometers can be off as much as 20 degrees.

Sorry about all the questions....just trying to help.

Dawn

rpiccione

Original Poster
Dawn,
You are correct about our age, we are pushing 40. For the uvb ight I did some research on the repti sun 10.0 lamp. I purchased two of them, one for each side. The info I found out is that bulb has a 20 inch range from top to bottom. It is mounted exactly 20 inchs from the top to the bottom. I can tell you 98 percent of the time my bd's are 12 inchs away from the uvb source. That hammock and tree are their favorite hang outs. Beside I keep close watch on the health of my bd's. They eat hearty and shed plenty, go to the bathroom regularly. Plus the heat source has uvb rays but not sure how effective it is. Night time heat bulbs are black bulbs. There is a very very light ray coming off them. We have'nt used them in for the past couple of weeks since the house temps been staying in the lower 70's. At one time we had an infrared bulb, that is long gone. Way to bright at night. We were told by a local expert that bd's like a moon light conditions at night.
We are open to all opinions and take the best info.
Thanks, Rich

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello Rich,

I also used the ReptiSun 10, before I switched to the Megaray(MVB). The ReptiSun 10 is a great uvb. I realize that the manufacturer of the ReptiSun 10 tells you that they will receive uvb up to 20". The only problem with that is the uvb rays start to dissipate the further away from the tube you go. That is why it is reccomended to get the beardie as close as possible(no closer than 6"). I have included a test done on this uvb and it's competitors in the UK, so you may see what I am talking about http://www.uvguide.co.uk/fluorescenttuberesults.htm

You mentioned your basking bulb has uvb. If it is a basking bulb it should only be uva. Are you using the Sun Glo(this is only a basking bulb which emits uva) or are you using a Solar Glo(this is an mvb(mercury vapor bulb) which is uvb and uva)?

Dawn

rpiccione

Original Poster
Dawn,
I 'm using Sun Glo by exo -terra. You are correct that it is uva, not completely sure what the difference is between uvb and uva? Someday I may switch over to the MVB or the Mega? Still learning about them. I currently utilize a timer for heat and lights. At this point all I know is the bd's need uvb and a heat source. Basking temps should reach 100-105. They need 12 hours of heat and uvb rays. Then at night no colder than 75 degrees.
Do you know anything about gaping? Did I spell that ok. Once in a while my bd's sit with their mouths open, kind of like a dog panting. I use a digital probe thermometer. I do belive it is accurate because it matches two others in the house.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Wolfpack5676/RickyLucy#
http://picasaweb.google.com/Wolfpack5676/TankLights#

Check out my pic of viv and bd's.
Thanks Rich :blob5:

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hi Rich,

Your beardies are just too cute!!!! Your viv's are very nice too!

Did you ever get your basking temps worked out? Since your beardies are still quite young, their basking temps should range between 105-110. The 100-105 is actually the temps reccomended for adults. Good to hear your day/night cycle is 12/12! As for their heat at night, their vivs can safely be at 65 degrees or higher with no extra heat.

Yes, their mouths being open is called gaping and yes, it is much like why a dog does it. They are thermoregulating....it's their cooling system :D

The thermometer you are using does have a probe, correct? Are you putting the probe directly on their basking spot under the basking light? What kind of temps are you getting on their coolsides?

Dawn

rpiccione

Original Poster
Dawn,
Yes it is a probe thermometer. Directly under the basking spot temps are hitting 104.3. I checked them late in the day yesterday. The cool side reached 79.7. I'm thinking that is good. My house temp was at 65 all night. Should be good for them at 4 months old.
I need to work on a background for the outside of the viv. I don't like the kind on a roll. Any ideas?

Thank,
Rich

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hi Rich,

I agree...the backgrounds that you typically find are all the same pictures. I actually went to a website that sold (photographed)prints to find mine. My viv is a little large and not the standard tank size, so I was having a hard time finding anything. Here is the site if you want to take a look http://www.imagekind.com

Here is a picture of my beardie Rex's viv, so you can see my background. It was a bit pricey due to the size. It is an actual photo taken in Australia...that's what drew me to it.
IMG_1644.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom