ReptiGLO vs. ReptiSUN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elijahsmom

Hatchling Member
Ok so Elijah had his vet check up today and he checked out great, fecal was negative and the vet said he looked fantastic. :blob8: Now my questions here is that I had been thinking for FOREVER that I had Elijah under a ReptiSUN :oops: I actually have him under a RetiGLO, the florescent tube. He has been under this brand since I brought him home. Any problems with this brand? Thanks for your help. Oh also I have my UV lamp on top of the screen lid and I've been reading that screen lids can filter out UVB? I asked the vet and she said she had never heard of anything like that with screen, glass yes but not screen. Can someone give me more info about this? He can get within 6" of the bulb. Thanks again.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, the Reptiglo 10 tube bulb has very different wavelength & UVB spectrum than the Reptisun 10 tube bulb does. The Reptiglo 10 has some emissions of low wavelength UVB which can be detrimental to the health of your dragon. However, the most important aspect is that it doesn't emit enough of the beneficial wavelength of UVB to help synthesize D3 production for them. So, over time, they can begin to have calcium absorption problems due to the body not being able to absorb enough calcium to keep the bones strong. I do not believe that they have changed their specs of that particular bulb yet.
The Reptisun 10 has all of the correct UVB spectrum being emitted, with no low wavelength UVB. It also has a higher ratio of UVA which is much easier on their eyes as well.
So, the comparison between the two based on UVB meter testing reveals that the Reptisun 10 tube is a superior bulb to the Reptiglo 10 tube.
As far as the screen filtering out UVB, you are correct. Depending on the type of screen, it can vary from 20-40% of the UVB being filtered out. So, if it is possible, it would be a good idea to try & mount the UVB tube on the underneath side of your screen, or cut a hole in the top so the UVB can go through easier.

I hope that helps out.

Tracie

Elijahsmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok my other question is can I just cut a hole in the screen lid, it's a metal screen top. I'm calling lllreptile today to see if I can add on a reptiSUN to my order I just placed with them. Thanks for the help.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, you absolutely can cut a good sized hole in the screen top so the UVB will go through better. Try to get the Reptisun 10 tube within 6-10 inches from him for maximal benefit.
Were you able to get the Reptisun 10 tube bulb added to your order today?

Tracie

Elijahsmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yep :) I was, I caught them before they shipped my order and they added it for me. Elijah can already get within 6" of his tube, I'll talk to my husband and get his to cut that hole for me, I was thinking just the length of the bulb and not the WHOLE fixture, that way nothing is in the way of the bulb and I don't have to get creative with mounting the light fixture. Now I was reading that article last night that was attached to the UVB article. They were talking something about reflectors? I know it's just tinfoil but how to you make something like that? It really increased the UVB output. Thanks for all the help Tracie!

Keleah :wink:

Elijahsmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Anyone have an idea on how to cut a hole in my metal screen for my UVB bulb? It's 24" but the holder is about 36" I was just going to make the hole the length of the bulb. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thuexedulichthailan
Top Bottom