ReptiGlo 10.0 vs ReptiSun 10.0 ..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilbear

Hatchling Member
Since I'm new to this and haven't been around the block, so to speak, could someone show me and give me the facts on the differences between these two uvb light sources. I have read the UK (extensive)report on lighting concerns but nowhere do they "ping" the Exo Terra 10.0 florescent bulb. I have read numerous threads on this site that "ping" this particular bulb. The UK report, in my understanding, actually went after the ReptiSun 10.0 as having issues. Opinions are fine but facts are just that, facts. So could someone show me the articles that have been written varifying the failure of this particular bulb? Thanks for any help offered.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Actually, the glo has insignificant amounts of uvb, which lead to eye issues, lack of energy, lack of appetite, and in extreme cases, metabolic bone disease.

The Reptisun, on the other hand, has significant uvb, better coverage of area, though it should be replaced every 5-6 months.
Janie.

Fal

Hatchling Member
As a member from the UK, the repti glo 10.0 is widely sold in the UK and, apart from scowering the net, seems to be the only one I ever see offered in stores? Is that just my area or do others find that in the UK?

Also, to continue the threads question - has this research/proof been in lower vivs usually? (I may be missing the point) Or all circumstances? Because (unbeknown to us at the time of purchase) we have been using a repti glo 10.0 in a viv that is quite tall. His basking spot is 10-12" from the UVB source, it's a 42" strip (arcadia or reptisun don't do this size :( which is very annoying) and it runs parralel to a white light 42" strip. Our lil guy (i'm not saying there is no problem, just giving you our facts) is active, eats a LOT, is constantly white undearneath and doesn't seem stressed and his eyes seem fine, and so we wonder/hope this is because the light is higher than in most vivs, or whether the effects take a long time to show (I hope it isn't the latter). Otherwise, does anyone have, like asked for originally on this thread, the actual articles about it with more facts etc..? OR.. any alternatives other than repti sun or arcadia, because we need something that is 42" in length, and the repti glo is the only one we have found up to now :(

Cheers
Jon

Lilbear

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
What I'm asking is,"show me articles that have been written that prove these particular lights(ReptiGlo 10.0) are bad". Any light can be harmful if not used properly.....In all the searches I have done, I have not come up with any articles that deem the ReptiGlo 10.0 better or worse than the ReptiSun 10.0. The only meaningful information I have learned about 'florescent UVB light sources' are that the reptile needs to be about 10-12 inches from source and require a flood to keep them from looking directly into the florescent UVB source. I have not found any evidence that puts one manufactures product above or below the other.

Delshara

Hatchling Member
You mean this UK report?

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/fluorescenttuberesults.htm

I'm not sure, and I sure can't speak for the mods or any other forum reader, but I THINK the concern is that the Reptiglo 10.0 tube has not yet been tested by this group, and therefore, people do not want to recommend them to new owners simply because of the lack of independent scientific evidence (pro or con) surrounding the bulb. That, and every so often people post about beardies' eye issues and lack of appetite, which have gone away when they stopped using ReptiGlos, or compacts. I'm sure there MIGHT be other factors (ie. these situations didn't have scientific controls) that MIGHT explain the symptoms of their pets... but I don't blame anyone for advising new owners against Reptiglos when changing those bulbs out helped their own beardies get better. And at the same time there are owners using Reptiglos and they still have happy healthy beardies, like Fal. I think that many people just want to be sure and safe and not use the Reptiglos "just in case". In the end every owner is responsible for whatever lighting decision they make.

I know anecdotal evidence doesn't take the place of rigorous scientific inquiry, but it can be quite convincing. I saw for myself the effect of our first (and last!) UVB compact coil bulb on our Nero. Thank goodness I found this site. He was under that bad bulb for about a week. I should have done better research back then, and I don't have a good excuse for not doing so because I have a science degree. But when Nero was having eye issues I went with the advice of people that have experienced it firsthand: other beardie owners. That report probably should be updated soon though, with some ReptiGlo 10.0 results :) Four years is like a million years in the scientific community.

I don't see where you see in the UK report that the Reptisun 10.0 tube has issues? Can you please provide a link where it states this? I'm just curious, and I admit that I'm just skimming the report so I may have missed this reference.

(Oh and I don't care either way... we love the MVB lamps at my house :) )

I am new to beardies and this site but did quite a bit of reading on all things beardie prior to my purchase. I will admit I did order a Reptisun 10.0 just to be on the safe side. But I to have found that most of the evidence is anecdotal and dated.

In fact, after mentioning my bulb purchase to the breeder he responded with a chuckle. Saying that , that was old info and since rectified by Exxo Terra. And any info in that vain even close to current was in refference to the coil bulbs and not the tubes.He further went on to say that he uses all ReptiGlo bulbs over his displays. And I have to say he some beautiful reptiles and comes very highly recommended by everyone I spoke to. And since I know your thinking it, he is both a Zoo Med and Exxo Terra dealer.

Fal

Hatchling Member
We are, so far, happy with the repti glo 10.0, but I am by no way recommending it for everyone. I did in fact try to get a repti sun or an arcadia 12%, but (as mentioned above) unfortunately found that they do not offer a 42" strip (they seem to skip that size), and our expensive setup is setup for that :?

Draco is doing well and is healthy (up to now), IF, however, he does show any symptoms of eye problems, lack of energy, not feeding (which we would notice for sure since he is a right greedy lil guy lol), we do certainly re-think and immediately try all we could to create an alternative.

It is a shame, because we heard (on this forum) that the repti glo 8.0 was ok to use, and so ordered one off eBay, just to receive the 10.0 and so I am assuming (since the seller never answered this question), that they no longer sell the 8.0?

Out set up is 24" top to bottom, so at his highest basking spot (which he only occasionally uses) is about 12" from the uvb strip, his usual spot, I would estimate, is about 15-18" away, and this seems to be where he prefers to bask most of the time, but for small parts of the day he does move up to the higher one and I am hoping, that this is his natural built in meter, making him go higher for his (in the wild) mid day extra uvb? I might be way off the mark, but since the rays of the sun would reach higher intensity during mid day in the desert, giving him the higher basking area should he need it, will hopefully give him the choice of how close he gets (no closer than 12") when he feels he needs it.

Anyway, like I say, I am no way recommending it, just pointing out it is working for us, up to now! I do recommend, that anyone using ANY type of uvb source, re-thinks everything the minute they notice any problems, and this forum is an amazing place to find out information!

Cheers
Jonathan

Hold on a minute, so they cannot have a spot that is closer than 12" to the UVB? I might be confused, but I thought that they needed to be able to get within 6-8 inches of the UVB?

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
When using the glo 10.0 it is suggested the greater distance with a bright white bulb to ease the effects of the uvb. With a reptiSun, yes, 6-8".
Janie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom