Repti-glo, good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunc

Hey,
just wondering, about the Repti-glo 10.0 bulb, i was given 1 when i bought my beardie and i've heard a lot of conflicting reports...... Bernie hasn't really been eating since i got him about a week ago could this be why? I've just ordered a Repti-sun 10.0 as i've heard this is a good 1 to get, is this the right thing to do??
:?

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
good job on ordering the reptisun. They're really good, the best you can get in a fluorescent tube uv. The reptiglo bulbs really don't emit much uvb, so basically do nothing. If you only got your dragon a week ago, his lack of eating could be due to relocation stress. Some beardies take up to 2 weeks to calm down and get used to their environment and eating healthily. The reptisun should liven him up anyhow. Any other questions about your new dragon/enclosure feel free to ask! Welcome to the forum!

Dunc

Original Poster
ErinMeetsMachine":c85d5 said:
good job on ordering the reptisun. They're really good, the best you can get in a fluorescent tube uv. The reptiglo bulbs really don't emit much uvb, so basically do nothing. If you only got your dragon a week ago, his lack of eating could be due to relocation stress. Some beardies take up to 2 weeks to calm down and get used to their environment and eating healthily. The reptisun should liven him up anyhow. Any other questions about your new dragon/enclosure feel free to ask! Welcome to the forum!
Thanks very much, that makes me feel better only want the best for the little fella!

Dunc

Original Poster
ErinMeetsMachine":c2555 said:
Yeah, this forum is great for getting all the information! I was on here every day for a month or so before I got my dragon.
Tell me about it I've done nothing but read up on them since I got him :D

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
if you go to the thread labeled "photo expression" the first post is how to post your pictures. Gives you a walkthrough and even a video to help.

Dunc

Original Poster
ErinMeetsMachine":3866f said:
if you go to the thread labeled "photo expression" the first post is how to post your pictures. Gives you a walkthrough and even a video to help.
Ah ok I'll have a look, cheers :D

mp25542

Scratch this comment - the other thread had a link to UK UVB report which was dead on accurate. Polished aluminum reflector can intensify UVB output 6x! Lesson learned at my house.
MP
=========================================

i'd like to re-open this thread as I have a related problem I could use this communities assistance. My beardie is 4 years old, solid eater, no changes what so ever but one - its UVB lighting. My original UVB floursecent fixture was powered by a ZooMed 24" 10.0 UVB ReptiSun, 20 watt mounted over the screen top of a 40 gallon breeder tank. A 100 watt basking light and another 100 watt ceramic heat element completed the set up with broad temperate graident and lots of perches and hides. UVB and basking lights were on for 10 hours/day giving me a healthy pet for the past 4 years.

The 24" fixture went bad so I selected an 8" dome fuxture with a ZooMed ReptiSun 10.0 UVB 26 watt compact flourescent (looked good since it had a 1 year guarantee). Within 48 hours my beardie became almost comatose, not eating with one eye barely opening. I went through a list of potential issues (e.g., bad food, parasites) then recalled the change in UVB lights. I turned off the new compact 26 watt flourescent and my beardie came back to life in 48 hours. He ate a huge number of crickets today so he's back (yeah!) but very strange.

So here's the question - The UVB rating was the same (both 10.0 UVB), but the wattage increased from 20 watts to 26 watts. Has anyone seen/heard of "UVB over load"? Could the dome fixture have "magnified" the UVB? Any ideas welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom