Reptarium

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambichik39

Juvie Member
I'm sorry if this has been asked a lot, but when I searched on here all I found was people trying to house their beardies in these tanks full time and how it doesn't hold heat in. I just want some opinions on using it as an outdoor cage so Pablo can get some fresh air. I take him out now on a leash, but would feel more comfortable if I could put him in a screen tank/cage thing so I could do other activities outside while he got some natural sunlight. My mom is in Oceanside as I speak (type) and LLLreptile has the 65 gallons on sale for 30 bucks.. since she could just bring it back for me I told her to pick one up.. Good idea or bad? Obviously he wouldn't be outside for long periods of time, and he wouldn't ever be unattended.. but I also figured that for 30 bucks it'd be a good idea to have a portable type tank in case something was to happen such as traveling with him for a night, or having power go out next winter and having to take him to my dads where there's a fireplace (all electric house here) and since its collapsible I could just store it while not in use.. appose to hauling around a 40 gallon breeder. Thoughts on this? Anyone with experience? I also read when I searched about a water dragon overheating in one of these things... kind of made me worried.. thoughts on that? I mean if it was too hot for me to be outside or any of my other animals for that matter he wouldn't be out there for sure...

diggerdrake

Juvie Member
As a temp portable enclosure for outside or visiting it may be OK. Being as it s all screen there would be no heat retention but for sunning it would work good. One issue I could see is your beardie being able to rip the fabric easily with its claws. Looks like a simple setup and as a temp outside enclosure for sunning would work but I would keep an eye on my beardie in case there is a tear in the screen

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
That is actually a great set up for some outside enjoyment. The screen on those reptariums is actually quite durable and resistant to tears. Just make sure you do not leave him there over night or for any long periods without supervision

bambichik39

Juvie Member
Original Poster
thank you for the replies... i trim pablos nails so they aren't usually too sharp, but thanks for the heads up! He'll deff. be supervised while outside, just figured this way I could do things such as water plants, read, etc without having to keep a hand on him the whole time.. and dont worry, I wouldn't forget about him out there :) Thanks for the trips! He'll be watched closely in it, and its deff not his permanent enclosure... I'll be sure to post some pics of him when the weather gets better and when the enclosure arrives..

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
bambichik39":13cnf6t5 said:
thank you for the replies... i trim pablos nails so they aren't usually too sharp, but thanks for the heads up! He'll deff. be supervised while outside, just figured this way I could do things such as water plants, read, etc without having to keep a hand on him the whole time.. and dont worry, I wouldn't forget about him out there :) Thanks for the trips! He'll be watched closely in it, and its deff not his permanent enclosure... I'll be sure to post some pics of him when the weather gets better and when the enclosure arrives..

I should also mention that you want to make sure you put some kind of hide in there for him. If he get's spooked by a bird or anything thing else, he will be very appreciative to have it.

bambichik39

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks, GoFast, I'll be sure to do that. I was planning on putting a piece of wood or something over half of it also so he could go into the shade if he wanted to. I finally got it today and got it set up and it looks like it'll be perfect otherwise. I already made use of it while I was cleaning out his tank... he seems to like it but didn't get the concept of the screen, he took a good leap right into it (wasn't hurt thank God) first thing, then finally calmed down and basked. Sadly it was raining today, so he had to hang on the kitchen table.. oh well, worked well either way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom