Reptaid / Stool / Basking Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screamin99

Juvie Member
I've had a lot of posts on here dealing with what I consider issues with my dragon and such in the past, but I'll give a quick background as best I can.

January of 2010 My dragon was around 10 months old and he ran into a hard bout with coccidia which we fought off fine and he quickly came back around to eating greens, but he refuses to eat crickets after this point. Around August of 2010 he was still not back to what I would have considered 100% so I did another fecal and he was positive for pinworms. we treated for these and he was cleared, but he still had a small amount of coccidia which the vet decided not to treat for.

Around November he went down for burmation, he wasn't basking and was hiding under his bask (its like a bridge sorta) he puts his head in the corner and his legs and tail hang out. I finally realized that he was going for burmation so I covered him in a blanket and left his lights off. during all of this he wasn't having a bowel movement hardly at all, I was feeding every 2-3 days through a dropper/syringe because he wasn't eating and I wasn't sure it was burmation. Im not sure he is totally back to normal. He will wake up and bask a bit then hang out on the cool side of his tank then bask then most of the time he goes straight under his bask and stays there.. Its as if he doesn't want to bask? He will eat supers like its his job, he will hardly eat greens at all he will sometimes take a bite or two here and there and he is content with not eating much even if I don't offer supers for 4-5-6 days at a time!

And with all of this I can feed applesauce through a syringe/dropper and he has a bowel movement maybe once every 4 days or once a week. Even if he eats 5-10 supers a day every day!

So im waiting on his next stool to get a fecal ran on him and see how he checks out. I've considered using reptaid to maybe help get him back on track, im just not sure how much to administer and how often and all of that jazz (not sure on an exact weight yet since its been a while since he was last into the vet).

I have him in a 55gallon tank (48x12x24)
He has a 48" strip across the back to lightup the whole tank. He's got a 24" repti-sun 10.0 tube light hanging on the back about 8 inches from the top of his bask and for heat I use a 60w house bulb for heat. Basking temps are typically 95-105 during the day. Cool side stays about 75-81 + / - about 5 degrees depending on outside temps. Lights are on a cycle and come on at 8am and go off at 8pm and He is kept on tile.

Does anyone know why he may or may not be using the bathroom normally? I figure its due to not eating his greens and not basking, but I just want to be sure and I know I need a fecal for that. But maybe any other ideas why he might not be basking/eating his greens?

I offer him turnip/collard typically but I offered endive today.

Im just looking to get him back on track and get him squared away, summers almost over and I know he's going to be going down for burmation and I don't want him going down underweight and sick or having problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom