Repta-aid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
My baby beardie hasn’t been eating at all...No greens and no insects, he usually gulps down greens, but no matter what I try he usually doesn’t eat more than 5 crickets. I got him in July, and he’s really skinny because he won’t eat. I use a 60w household bulb as his heatlamp and he has a reptisun 10.0 tube.

Will repta-aid give him the nutrients he needs while I’m trying to get him to eat?

And is there anything I should try to make him eat? I’m nervous of trying wax worms because I heard they get addicted to them and won’t eat anything else, and plus their only a treat. If I would use those, they would only be a last resort. We are going to order phoneix worms soon because it’s not burning hot outside.
(NOTE: He doesn’t like fruit... Only greens with nothing on them, and even now he won’t eat those. I’ve tried mangoes, raspberries, and blueberries... None of them he likes. And I can’t find cactus pads or prickly pears at any store or anything. :( )

I’m really scared and I don’t know what to do. :( Please help me.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldn't feed waxworms at all to be honest. And if I did, it would only be like 1-2 a week or so as a treat. They by no means ever should be considered a food item for your dragon.

What are the temperatures in your tank?

Are crickets the only insect you have tried? I'd branch out and try things like silkworms, butterworms, hornworms, and the BSFL varieties.

-Brandon

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":2b83s66x said:
I wouldn't feed waxworms at all to be honest. And if I did, it would only be like 1-2 a week or so as a treat. They by no means ever should be considered a food item for your dragon.

What are the temperatures in your tank?

Are crickets the only insect you have tried? I'd branch out and try things like silkworms, butterworms, hornworms, and the BSFL varieties.

-Brandon
Air temp I don’t know yet because the thermeteor is still setting itself.
But the surface temp of his main basking spot before we moved his lamp was 90,
and his cave (where he has been basking lately) was 84 before we moved the lamp, I’m gonna check tonight again before I turn his lights off.

I really wanna try silkworms for both my dragons, but I don’t know where is a good place to order from, any ideas on that?

I did manage to get him to eat today though, he ate five crickets from his tank and ate about 4 more in a different container. At least he ate...

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If your basking spot is only 90 degrees, that would very likely be why your dragon isn't eating.

Because he isn't digesting. Dragons need AT LEAST 96 degrees for basic metabolic function.

If your dragon is still a baby or young, he likely wants the temp in the 105~ range. I would work on getting that up first thing.

-Brandon

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":1rn3cn8v said:
If your basking spot is only 90 degrees, that would very likely be why your dragon isn't eating.

Because he isn't digesting. Dragons need AT LEAST 96 degrees for basic metabolic function.

If your dragon is still a baby or young, he likely wants the temp in the 105~ range. I would work on getting that up first thing.

-Brandon
Yes, I know. I told my mom that and she said we would save up for a new lamp (because the lamp (not the bulb) we have can’t go above 60w... :| ) Would a new bulb with a higher wattage be the best thing to do? Or is there something else? I don’t want to go up to like 75w because I would be afraid that would get too hot, especially since he’s in a small tank because I used up all my money on supplies...
Would a 75w get too hot? Or is there another option?

I’m gonna go check the temp now, along with my other dragon’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom