Relocation stress

affinenine

Beardie name(s)
Butternut
Hi all! I'm currently displaced due to hurricane Ian and will be staying in a new location for a while (much to Butternut's chagrin). I grabbed everything I could from her tank and skedaddled before the flood waters rose. However, Butternut is now dealing with a case of relocation stress 😟. She's a master escape artist, but the only travel pen I could find was too short, and too flexible, and transparent. I've since ordered a more suitable, sturdier play pen that she won't be able to see out of (I think being low to the ground and having too much to look at was making her nervous), and it will be here tomorrow.

My major concern is that it's been three weeks, and I've only gotten her to eat a couple super worms and a few pieces of butternut squash. She's been nervous-pooing every other day despite not eating much. I've been rehydrating her with a syringe & bath time.

Despite not eating, Butternut's other behaviors are normal. She has never black-bearded and has no visible stress markings. She's very active and basking regularly (her new set-up is near a window on the top floor of our building, and she greatly enjoys looking down upon her plebeians below). Strangely, she also skipped brumation this year as well.

She doesn't look like she's lost weight, but the only time she's gone this long without eating is during brumation. When I offer her food, she licks her lips and looks interested, but won't bite. Does anyone have experience with this as well? How long could this last? I know she must be very confused and scared, and I feel helpless.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If she is used to your voice, talk to her. If she is ysed to cuddles, snuggle her. Try to make things as normal as possible. Also maybe try feeding at different times in the day, i have had luck doing that with Zen when he is being a butt-head.

affinenine

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Butternut
If she is used to your voice, talk to her. If she is ysed to cuddles, snuggle her. Try to make things as normal as possible. Also maybe try feeding at different times in the day, i have had luck doing that with Zen when he is being a butt-head.
She does love when I sing to her while she's on my lap. I'll keep that up! I've decided to cover the window temporarily and cover parts of her enclosure since I think it was too stimulating for her all day. She finally settled down from pacing around and went into her hide.
I'll keep her salad in her sights and offer feeders at odd hours of the day. Hopefully, she'll warm up soon.

affinenine

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Butternut
Happy to announce that Miss Butternut has finally accepted a handful of feeders and salad for the past two days now! She took a long snooze for a couple days and woke up significantly calmer and refreshed. She's no longer bouncing off the walls and seems to be falling into her natural routine again. It took nearly a month for her to come around! :oops:

I encourage anyone else dealing with relocation stress to hang in there. Beardies are smart, stubborn lil critters. Butternut waited several weeks until she was comfortable and confident in her new surroundings to eat. It was scary at first, but sometimes I forget that their instincts take over in times like these.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I am sorry to hear about your situation but I am glad you were able to take your beardie with you. I am also glad that normal behavior is resuming with Butternut. Best of luck to you both. Please be sure to check dubiaroaches.com as they are/were giving free roaches to those impacted by the hurricane.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthPenumbra
Top Bottom