Relocation Stress Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
I brought home a 3 month old bearded dragon last night, we named him Spyro. My question is: How long does relocation stress last? We had about a 30 minute trip home in the car and a few issues getting the basking temp up. I am probably going to get a bulb with higher wattage. It is ok to use the flood lights at walmart as basking bulbs, right? This poor guys belly and beard look like a zebra with the dark stress marks. Will all this stress cause him any health problems?

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
you can definitely use flood lights. The stress is totally normal, and as long as he calms down over the next week or two he should be just fine! Hopefully he will eat some for you soon - not so much because he has to eat (he will be fine for a week or so without food if he chooses), but because I know how stressful it is for you as an owner! :lol:

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
He ate 3 small crickets last night and 4 small dubia nymphs, so he has ate something so that makes me a little less nervous. He refused food this morning though so I just left him to bask. The people who had him didn't have any uvb so I set him up with a reptisun 10.0 and he is just loving it. He is shedding also so I have heard that also can cause a decrease appetite. He is just a little skinny so I want him to start eating as soon as possible. The individuals that had him got their info from a petstore employee, so there were a few things wrong with his set up and feeding. Thanks for the help!

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
If you're worried about his weight, you could try syringe feeding him some chicken or turkey baby food! But I would still wait a couple more days at least so he can calm down a bit more and get used to you.

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. I had planned on giving him next few days just to settle in. I have 3 leopard geckos and a bearded dragon is a whole different ball game :). I have only disturbed him to check the temps, he get's really angry at me, I have a temp gun but I just order a probe so I won't have to remove the top just to check temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom