Regular bulbs for basking vs. brands for reptiles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceyourface

Hatchling Member
I read the lighting for newbs post and ive seen others mention using flood lights for basking spots but im wondering are people using just any old flood bulbs? If so would you get the same wattage as you would for a reptile basking bulb? Right now I am using 100 Watt Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp and it just never seems to be warm enough in Thor's tank. I have her in a 40 Gallon Tank. I have a Zoo Med Digital Infrared Thermometer but i'll use it a few times in the same spot and the temp is different every time so I never know if the lighting is good. Im wondering if maybe I need a stronger watt for the size tank? Or maybe the fact that the lamp its in is one of those that has a dimmer maybe even though it's on the highest setting it's still not putting out as much as a regular lamp would be? Has anyone else had this issue? I am worried because Thor isn't active like she used to be and doesn't even bask in her basking spot anymore. She stays in the same spot all day. She still eats just fine and doesn't appear to be sick except she isn't pooping as often as she used to. I have to keep putting her in a bath to poop whereas she used to poop daily in her tank. Is it the lighting? Is it partial Brumation? because she is about a year possibly a little older now. She still eats and interacts with me when shes out but in her tank she sits in the same spot or sleeps. Or does this sound normal for a beardie her age?

I use a Halogen flood light from either Lowes or Home Depot....not only are they cheaper than the pet store lights, but they do get hotter even at a lower wattage. Right now I have a 40 gallon tank and I am using a 50 watt Halogen flood bulb and the basking spot gets up to about 105, except on days that are extremely cold, than sometimes I have to use a CHE as an addition. Also, sometimes when the sun shines into my apartment the temperature sometimes gets TOO warm, so I suggest if you have problems with your temperature regulation you get a dimmer light. I went through a ton of different bulbs before I got the suggestion of the Halogen bulbs and the dimmer lights which I didn't even know were out there. I can't remember if you said you already had a dimmer, but talking from experience, it will save you a lot of money so you don't have to buy so many different bulbs.

Aceyourface

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks! Yeah I already have a dimmer but it doesn't seem to work with every kind of bulb. Hopefully it will work with a flood bulb. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom