Refusing syringe, help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
So Spyro seems to be doing ok but not great, he will eat good for a couple meals and then will refuse a meal or two or only eat a few small crickets or dubia. Also are baths enough to keep them hydrated? I have tried to give him water by dropping it on his nose and using a syringe and he will not take anything from a syringe, I tried a little squash baby food and he will not lick it or open his mouth. If I sneak some in while he has his mouth open, he shakes and flings it everywhere! I did get a little benebac down him yesterday evening. I think I underestimated how bad of shape he was in when I got him. It's been 12 days since I got him so I would think that relocation stress would be coming to an end but he still has stress marks really bad. I think I am going to take a fecal sample to the vet, I was waiting because I have heard that stress will make the counts higher and I wasn't wanting to stress him with a trip to the vet. He is definitely not in dire condition but he is not doing great. When he does eat, I have to move him to his bowl, he will not get down and explore, he never leaves his basking spot. I am kind of at a loss.

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Viv: 20L
Basking spot: 105-107F, measured by probe
UVB: Reptisun 10.0 tube
Substrate: Tile
Supplements: Repashy Calcium Plus
Feeders: Small dubia and small crickets, reptiworms are on their way
Greens: Mustard greens, collard greens, carrots, yellow squash, red bell pepper (doesn't touch his veggies)
Here is a picture of his stress marks, they are always this bad and sometimes they get worst:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lpngsbqcq8esxrg/2013-01-08 13.11.34.jpg
-I also have his viv enclosed with paper so he can't see his reflection
I feel like a failure and I really don't know what else to do.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Lindz....no need to feel like a failure, all dragons settle in differently so just be patient. In your other post you mentioned that he drinks during the bath, so he is getting hydrated and you don't have to worry about water from a syringe. Give him a little more time to settle in, and if he doesn't like the syringe + baby food, that can add to his stress so just let him eat from his bowl for now. He may start eating better soon, and remember some beardies are naturally more nervous than others, stress marks aren't a serious issue, he will probably settle down soon enough.

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I was just worried about hydration because for the past 2-3 days he has not been drinking in the bath. I was just wondering if there is anything else I need to be doing. I will stop trying with the syringe, because it is obviously stressing him out.

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Also, should I just take the paper down and get the stress over with now or just wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom