Red / pink in stool and urate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtjlcl

Hello everybody I haven't posted for a while Gonzo has been doing great she's been eating a lot running around active she's wonderful. She hasn't gone to the bathroom for a couple days and when I went in and noticed she when the stool looked something like it's never seen before. She has been eating a lot of crickets a lot of acorn squash and some greens. I'm concerned about the color of the year right can someone please advise if they've ever seen this before? It is Sunday so no vets are open so if I do need to get this stool tested I did put it in a tupperware container but should I put it in the fridge? Like I said she seems healthy everything's been great she was laying around the last couple days but she was up and running when I would get her out of her cage please advise I appreciate any input
87112-9708824236.jpg

Klub708

I had something kind of similar in my bearded dragon after taking a long car ride that stressed her out but after that she pooped normal. That was 7 months ago. Has anything happened that may have stressed your beardie? Did you feed anything wierd? If she is eating and acting happy I would wait till her next poop and If it is still bad I would go to the vet.

Chanza

Hatchling Member
I have heard that red stool can mean they have parasites. Where do you buy your feeders from? Her stool also looks quite watery. Best thing you can do, is as you said just keep it in the fridge, unless she has a similar stool the next day.

Jtjlcl

Original Poster
As far as stressors go my son has been on vacation since last Monday and won't be back till Friday night I do most of the caring for Gonzo but she is in his room and because she's been laying around a little bit I thought maybe she realized he was gone but I wasn't sure. My my first thought was maybe the Crickets she had because we ran out of roaches were bad. Even if the person isn't the main person that feeds and takes care of the Dragon will they still get stressed if someone else that usually around is gone. I thought the poop was watery maybe because she has been eating so much acorn squash and it has more water in it. I guess I'll wait and see what her next one is like I was just worried about the pinkish red color

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
It could be stress, but more than likely it's an indication of parasites and/or worms, which are very common in beardies, and can be carried by any type of live feeder insects, or even on fresh veggies and fruits. The fact that his poop is very runny combined with the red colored urates (could be a bit of blood) is an indicator of parasites. If he's having any other symptoms like lethargy, sleeping more than usual, lack of appetite, vomiting, etc. them he definitely has something going on and needs to see a reptile vet.

He hasn't had any accidents or falls has he? Any time there is an indication of blood in the poop you also have to worry about an internal injury if he has had a bad fall or accident. If not, then it's most likely parasites. I would call his reptile vet and tell them what's going on, and see what their procedure is for dropping off a fecal sample for testing, then bag up his next bowel movement and you'll most likely have to drive it to the vet pretty quickly and just drop it off. Usually they'll test it without you bringing him in, and if he tests positive for anything then they'll have you bring him in to be examined and put on the appropriate medications. It's definitely worth having a fecal done since parasites are so common and it's pretty inexpensive to have done, as are the medications. It doesn't necessarily have to be a "bad" batch of feeder insects, it can just be insects that picked up a parasite or bacteria during shipping, or more commonly at the pet shop, or it came from any veggies or fruits he's eaten, people actually get very sick from raw veggies and fruits all the time because they don't wash them well enough.

NotHereOften

Hi there. My Beardie just pooped similarly to yours and I've just received today a negative fecal from my vet. I once read (because she did it once before) but cannot locate it to share that it could be due to too high of a temp..the first time she had it her temps had climbed a little high... and this time also the past few days have been warm. Im sure that doesn't help much as we will probably still worry .. but figured I'd share. Better safe than sorry when it comes to fecal I always say!

sprackles

My Beardie just did a similar looking poop. Waiting to hear back from the vet about fecal results. She was clear of parasites a few months ago though. Her temps are a bit high, but she's been hiding on her cool side and not basking much. I was worried that she might be too low in temp because she's always on her cool side. She's active and alert (was running around the house today). She eats but is very picky about which worms and veggies she likes. Just hoping it's not something serious like her kidneys. She did eat some butternut and also butter worms, but I don't think it's from that.
88743-3834222751.jpg

Jtjlcl

Original Poster
@sprackles. It did end up gonzo had really bad coccidia. The vet was able to see it under the microscope even before putting it in testing soltuion. She was put on medicine and it got better. I just love our exotic vet.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That stool looks pretty common with a lot of them. I would get a fecal done though, to be sure
it isn't parasite related. Is she spending enough time basking to help digest any food she eats?
They can have those types of stools if they aren't digesting properly.
The urates quite often will have some discoloration to them caused by several factors. Sometimes
supplementation causes discolored or harder urates. Females can have off colored urates, more
like a pinkish tint, with hormonal changes, before they are going to lay or if they have follicles
developing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom