red eyed croc skinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

r35gtr

So i've been reading a lot about these skinks and not much is known about them. But i've read enough to know the general care for them and i want one. They seem really cool and different. I really like crocodiles/alligators (I plan to have one in the future when i get a place that is big enough).

One thing i want to know is what is the big difference between captive bred and wild caught? Not the fact that one is caught in the wild or captive bred ofc. I want to know any positives and negative about each one. Not sure if my question is clear. sorry lol.

For those that do have one, will my setup be enough?

No uvb
a sterilite tub (big enough to have an aquatic side and a land/moss side)
a UTH (maybe) and a CHE and a low wat. basking lamp

dakjd03

I've been thinking about getting one myself, they are awesome! The basic explanation I've gotten between the two is that while wild caught are usually cheaper they come with a greater risk of health problems.

esn

Hatchling Member
I have had three wc red eyed croc skinks, all died within two weeks of purchasing. Only go for captive bred, which is rare. A sterility tub of coco fiber and spaghnum moss will work. Get a long tub, at least two feet, and give a large water area. They like to swim. Uth and basking light for tropical species works.

There are no positives to wild caught. They are fragile, and will die of parasites. The skinks themselves are wonderful and easily handled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom