Red ackie monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgoogls

Hatchling Member
i really really want to get a red ackie!!! i have wanted 1 for about a year now and my parents are about to agree!!!!!(yes, iv been bugging them for about a year...im persistant and stuborn)i have done not alot of reading on them YET because i havent goten a definet yes yet. but i have a couple simple ?'s about them.

1. can they be tamed down EASILY? i know anything can be tamed but how easy?

2. is 4ft by 2 ft by 16(with another 1 foot of substrate underneth it) big enough for 1 lizard?

3. how often do they need mice or rats? do they mostly eat mice/rats or mostly insects with mice as a supplement?

4.do they eat eggs? i have heard some monitors like niles eat eggs. do red ackies eat them?

5. do they eat veggies? i dont think so but just making sure.

6.do they need uvb? some people say monitors need it, some say they dont:/ im confuzed:D

also if you could either tell me any other basic care like temps ect. or give me a good care sheet that would be greatXD

Floof

Juvie Member
I don't know a great deal about monitors, but I do know the answers to a few of your questions...

3.) Ackies are primarily insectivores, like most, if not all, other small Monitors. (Believe it or not, Savannahs fall in this category!) Just like with Beardies, feeding too many rodents can cause health problems, including but not limited to fatty liver disease and overall obesity. If you're going to get an Ackie, get your Dubia colony going now (if you don't already have one, or two, already).

5.) No. Ackies are completely insectivorous. All bugs, no veggies.

6.) UVB is a subject that seems to be under some debate in the monitor world. You'll get different answers depending on who you ask, but the one point that holds strong is that, if nothing else, they DO benefit from it. Your best bet is to assume that they do, and treat it as such. The last thing you need is to assume they don't need it and wind up with a sick monitor!

Otherwise, the best I can advise is to look up every care sheet you can find, if you haven't already, and to track down a monitor forum. http://www.varanus.net/forums/ came up on a quick google search. It may be a good place to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom