Reclaimed Bearded Dragon always has stress marks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DudeSkull

I recently took back a bearded dragon I gave to my sibling when I was in middle school. He was mine originally but I was a horrible caretaker and thought my sibling would give him the attention he needed. Now that I'm older (Turning 18 this year), I wanted to take on the responsibility of a pet again, since I had failed before and always felt guilty. The dragon I passed on to my sibling wasn't in the best care and they were more than happy to pass him back over to me, probably to save them the work.

To make sure he was easier to keep an eye on, I moved his cage out of my sibling's room and in to mine, but not before washing it very thoroughly because it REEKED. Now he's been in my room for a week and I only ever see him without stress marks when he's sleeping! I know this could be from the relocation but I really would like to make sure.

He's in a 40 gallon tank, which might be a bit small for a dragon of his age, but I can't get another one at the moment so it'll have to do for now. But believe me I will look for every opportunity to get him a better one. The tank has tile flooring and has been like that for awhile now, even under my sibling's care. He's got one of those half logs, a big winding branch, and a neat reptile hammock for his basking space (which he loves).

As for lighting, I have him under a Reptisun 10.0 for UVB. As or his light bulb, he was under a 50w for a significant amount of time due to someone buying the wrong bulb. I found a 75 to use and he was under that for most of the week. But It didn't seem to be producing enough heat. Luckily it went out yesterday and we went out and got a 100w instead. I don't think its too hot, its not too close to his basking spot. But if we come to a conclusion that it is then I always have the receipt.

He's fed dandelion greens as a staple, with occasional berries and carrots. He used to be fed butternut squash too but we thought it was the culprit for his stinky poops. Now that I think about it, it might've just been the poor heating, so I might re-introduce it into his diet. As for bugs, He usually has superworms (7-6 at a time), but occasionally gets crickets (12 at a time). Always dusted with calcium. I usually gutload the supers with carrots too.

He spends his time either basking or running around the cage, I try to take him out often and spend time with him so we get to know each other better.

As an overthinker, his stress marks are probably causing ME more stress! Joking, of course, but I want to find out what it is soon. Because if its something I can fix, then I'd love to take care of it right away. My beardies name is Felix, btw.

*EDIT*: Don't know what was going through my mind when I said turnip greens. He's fed DANDELION greens as a staple.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Abnormally Stinky poo's are generally a sign of parasites. You need to have fecal test done by a QUALIFIED herp vet and, stick to his/her recommendations for treatment (if this is the case).

DudeSkull

Original Poster
Gormagon":zqqda5io said:
Abnormally Stinky poo's are generally a sign of parasites. You need to have fecal test done by a QUALIFIED herp vet and, stick to his/her recommendations for treatment (if this is the case).

I feel like I knew this was the biggest possibility but I didn't want to accept it just yet. As of late his poops were able to hold their shape(TMI) but as I was typing this he just left a puddle of poop on his cage floor. He still has his appetite but I'd much rather be safe than sorry! My issue is my cheap dad who hates taking pets to the vet if they arent like, ACTIVELY DYING, it took the ENTIRE family to convince him to take the family dog after she yelped every time she stood up, and just hardly. I'd pay for it myself but my dad ALSO won't let me get a job until I finish school. So its either beg until he breaks or save up whatever money I can get. :banghead:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that a fecal test is the best idea so you know what you're dealing with. That said, a healthy dragon can usually manage a light load of parasites without a big problem. If his poop is extra watery, drip some water on his nose to help keep him hydrated. Make sure he is getting a nice wide variety of food, ensure his temperature gradient is good and he is getting enough UVB, and keep his enclosure clean and sanitized. This will go a long way to help him fight off illness or parasites on his own until appropriate medication can be administered if needed.

lele

Hatchling Member
DudeSkull":3bf4eh9i said:
Luckily it went out yesterday and we went out and got a 100w instead. I don't think its too hot, its not too close to his basking spot. But if we come to a conclusion that it is then I always have the receipt.
What kind of 100w light is it? If it is halogen or led it won't get hot enough. The best $20 I ever spent was on a temp gun (now probably $25, I think beautifuldragons.com sell them). I've had mine for 15 years & it still works. You can measure basking spot, cool area, nighttime temps, your dragon's skin...even your sib's face!
Regarding a vet, do you have a qualified exotics vet in your area? Reptiles often show problems when they are far along. He depends on you. A fecal is a must and not terribly expensive.
Just dusting w/calcium is not enough. I'm recovering from hand surgery, someone else is going to have to chime in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom