Reasons for yellow urates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJean

Extreme Poster
Calypso has had some yellow urates the past three days. Her poo itself is well formed and there is fluid surrounding it when she goes. Not overly smelly.

She gets a bath once a week and every morning I wash her greens and veggies well (which she does eat) so she shouldn't be dehydrated. I dust with the calcium, lightly on the salad, once a day, five days a week. She gets her vitamin the other two days.

What else could it be?

Here is a pic. The dark area on the tile is the liquid from the poo.
clypoo002.jpg

MissT

BD.org Addict
I had this problem way back last year so I just looked back at one of my old posts - as well as dehydration, yellow or brown urates can also indicate too much calcium..... hope this helps!

T

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
Judah Gets colored urates when he eats certain colored foods. When he is given carrots or yams he has orange brownish colored urates etc. That is very interesting about the Calcium, good to know!

LJean

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
MissT":3e043 said:
I had this problem way back last year so I just looked back at one of my old posts - as well as dehydration, yellow or brown urates can also indicate too much calcium..... hope this helps!

T

Those are the two things I knew of, but can't see where it could be either.

LJean

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
I wonder if she isn't absorbing the calcium due to lack of uvb?
Her uvb needed replacing, but I broke the new one. I ordered two more yesterday but must wait until they come in. (not sure how long it will take to get things from petmountain). I will try to get her outside more often until it comes.

As for the colored foods, I usually see colorful poo but not urates. I can't recall using carrots or sweet potato lately.

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
Yeah Judah gets acctual colored urates. I mean you can see little tiny speckles of the yam or whatever but the color is mostly visable in parts of the urates. Im not saying that is the deal here but depending on the water intake it shoudl not be ruled out. I am thinking perhaps food only changes the colors of urates depending on how much water they are absorbing (plain water by itself not from veggies or such). See Judah doesnt drink any water really trough his mouth, Ive tried, even in the bath he wont drink! Once in a blue moon, he will take a few drips from his nose or my finger, but rarely. So he gets most of his water through his veggies, salads and the bath 2x's per week. I think since the yams and carrots have alot of water, the color transfers to the urates.

Has this been happening alot lately or was this just a one time thing LJean? I mean it coudl just be the food if it happend once or every once in a while. But if not and it is happening all the time now no matter what your feeding her, it could perhaps be something going on in the kidnies? Just throwin a few ideas out there... Perhaps some vits or toxins got stored in the liver and it took a while to process and its now coming out? If so I think that would pass after a few BM's.
Does gout cause urates to turn colors?
Perhaps Tracy could answer that.

MissT

BD.org Addict
LJean":4717a said:
Those are the two things I knew of, but can't see where it could be either.

Perhaps its like a little urate plug that was kind of blocking her up - like a build up of calcium in her system? Is she having regular bowel movements? I know Kazi didnt poop for a few days last week and when he did there was a slight yellow tint to the end of it.... but his was rock solid! On advice from a vet, I just cut out his calcium for a few days until I was sure he was passing everything ok.

LJean

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Judah'sHuman":44ca4 said:
Has this been happening alot lately or was this just a one time thing LJean?
Yesterday was day three. She hasn't pooped for me yet today to check. And that is unusual for her. I will give her a bath in a few minutes and see how that goes. She is a bit grumpy because she is shedding.

Miss T, she had been going regularly. I will cut out the calcium for a few days and see if it helps. If I don't see a change in a day or two I will take her to a vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom