Really Want To Know This...

Status
Not open for further replies.
H3ll0 agains ?:(=0s)? I have a doubting question about breeding. While surfing on the web I saw this site with information that kept me thinking and thinking http://www.peteducation.com at the bearded dragon section where it says that Bearded Dragon Females can reproduce without MATING!!! Can this be possible?? :study: I want to prove I'm wrong but just to be sure I prefer to ask :|

Pravius

Juvie Member
Females can lay eggs but they will not be fertile. Males will need to be present to fertilize the egg with sperm.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
In short No female bearded dragons can not "reproduce" by themselves. They can (as stated above) produce clutches of infertile eggs. But they can not produce fertilized clutches without a male. There are some lizards that can asexually reproduce but names escape me at the moment.

beardeddragongirl91

Original Poster
Hope I'm not lost again but you say they can lay infertile which means the babies aren't ready to hatch yet until the male is in contact. Am I right??

Pravius

Juvie Member
Think of it like a female human. The egg is not fertile until a male fertilizes it. The egg will still drop (mensuration) and will not be fertile. So correct the female dragons can still have eggs and lay them but they will not be fertilized so they are in essence duds. If there is a male in tact with your female then most likely they will be fertile.

annieoakley123

Sub-Adult Member
Maybe what you read has something to do with sperm retention. When a female and male mate the female can lay several clutches of eggs that are fertilized. Since she can hold the sperm she can keep producing fertile eggs without being introduced with a male for a second time. Hope that helps! :)

beardeddragongirl91

Original Poster
Yeah it actually helped me. I was still stuck if the babies would survive without the male. But I was wrong, some animals can't do that :silent:

spyder79

Extreme Poster
a male can breed at 12 months of age if raised appropriately. A female should not be bred until 18 months of age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom