READ, WRITE YOUR LETTER & ENJOY YOUR PET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
Please take time out to read and then write your letter! They have tried to pass this law before without success, but just think if they were to do it? Where would you be? Where would your son or daughter, or even maybe a cousin feel when they can no longer have their hamster, guinea pig, bearded dragon, or even their gold fish, or guppy?????

Yeah, thats right..... If they pass a law banning the transport of animals this means our hamsters, rats, guinea pigs, 98% of the fish we have in tanks, our ferrets, chinchillas, bearded dragons, leopard geckos, crested geckos, other geckos, snakes, hermit crabs, turtles, tortoises, frogs, toads, scorpions, millipedes, .... put is this way - ALL pet stores will be out of business because they will have NO animals to sell!!!!!!

Oh yeah.... this bill seems to exclude cats and dogs (well of course). Now don't get me wrong, I love cats and dogs, have a cat and want many dogs, but how is this fair. Cats and dogs are the number one animal that we have brought over here!!!! And there reasoning for this law is to stop these "wild animals" to not get loose and make an area that isn't normally their home a new home, eventually to overrun the area .... well don't we have this problem with cats and dogs????? It's not fair I dont want it done at all, but IF this law is passed it should include EVERY ANIMAL.

Now.... get off your ASS, yeah I said it, and go write that letter!!!!..

Below is a copy of a letter from the Valpo reptile expo, and under that is a copy of the letter from the USARK....

HR 669 bans import, export, transport, breeding, sale or barter of ALL nonnative species unless they are placed on an Approved List established by the USFWS after extensive study. This law would affect most pet owners of non native species. Most pet birds, ornamental aquarium fish, reptiles and small pet mammals are nonnative species and would be ILLEGAL under this act, unless placed on the Approved List! Any company manufacturing or selling product for these pet species would be affected by this act. This means hundreds of thousands of pet birds and animals, reptiles and fish would be affected. Thousands of small businesses involved in any aspect of the pet industry, from breeding, selling and transporting animals to manufacturing and selling products for animals, such as foods, toys, and equipment.
This is not a state bill, it is a FEDERAL bill
Read HR669:
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-669if you don't like that one, here's another link:
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_bills&docid=f:h669ih.txt.pdf What are they thinking??
Please take the time to write your representatives. Every voice counts, let's stop this dumb bill. Below are some links to find the right person to contact & get it done. NAIA has a pre done letter (bottom of page) that you can use to make it painless & quick to do.http://www.capwiz.com/naiatrust/issues/alert/?alertid=13098456 It's time to 'Kill bill" & save the hamsters!
You might also want to check out this organization:
http://www.pijac.org/ Also..... The Valparaiso Exotic Animal Sale will be held this Saturday. Where? National Guard Armory, 1502 Linwood Ave, Valparaiso, IN 46383 (Hwy 30 & Linwood) When? Saturday April 25, doors open to the public at 10am. Show is usually over between 3 & 4pm. How much? Admission is still just $3 (less if you're under 12 yr old). 8' Table space is still $15, plus your admission. What? Exotic animals, snakes, lizards, geckos, tegus, monitors, chameleons, turtles, tortoises, frogs, dry goods, cages, live crickets, rodents, a variety of worms & plants, cage birds, and supplies. Usually there are some puppies, kitties, bunnies, sugar gliders, chinchillas, and hedgehogs. This month, A spider dealer will be making an appearance. Expect a new exotic small animal dealer, and another vendor bringing pop & snacks! yay! Hope to see you all there on Saturday. If you have any questions, please give me a call or email me. Vendors: Please confirm or reserve your tables as soon as possible. Thanks! Nancy (219) 617-4184 Our website:http://www.geocities.com/lizardlady_dragonslair/website1004.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WARNING- HR6311 Reintroduced as HR669- BAN ON BOAS & PYTHONS!!
AND JUST ABOUT ALL OTHER ANIMALS!!!!

Below you will read a press release by the most powerful Animal Rights Group on the planet. As predicted by USARK, HR6311 has been reintroduced as HR 669. If passed as written this bill will BAN the import, purchase, sale, trade and breeding of many, many reptiles and amphibians... including Boa, Python and Eunectes. If this bill passes it will destroy the reptile community and industry overnight! PLEASE JOIN USARK IN FIGHTING HR669!!!SIGN THE PETITION AGAINST HR669***SEND THIS ALERT TO EVERYONE ON YOUR EMAIL LIST!!!Stand by for USARK's Campaign to defeat HR 669. http://www.hsus.org/press_and_publications/press_releases/bill_to_address_exotic_animal_importation_introduced_012709.html

Congresswoman Bordallo Introduces Bill to Protect People and Native Wildlife by Addressing Exotic Animal Importation

January 27, 2009

The Humane Society of the United States and Humane Society International welcomed the introduction yesterday of the Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act (H.R. 669) in the U.S. House of Representatives by Congresswoman Madeleine Z. Bordallo (D-Guam). The bill is designed to prevent the introduction and establishment in the United States of nonnative wildlife species that may harm the economy, the environment, human health or native wildlife. H.R. 669 would require the federal government to assess the risk of nonnative wildlife species proposed for importation and, with public input, decide if the importation of these animals should be allowed or prohibited."Each year, millions of wild animals are captured overseas and imported into the United States," said Michael Markarian, executive vice president of The HSUS. "This trade results in the suffering and death of large numbers of animals, poses unnecessary risks to public health and jeopardizes native wildlife populations here and abroad. We are grateful to Congresswoman Bordallo for working to address this global problem." Imported wild animals may escape or may be let loose by owners who cannot properly care for them. These animals sometimes die from starvation, predation or exposure. Sometimes, however, they thrive — putting people, domestic pets and native wildlife at risk.

Facts:

**Under current regulations, the Fish and Wildlife Service can declare species "injurious," making it illegal to import these animals or sell them over state lines as pets. However, this process typically takes years to complete and occurs after species are established, when eradicating them can be expensive, inhumane and nearly impossible.

**Congresswoman Bordallo represents the island of Guam, where brown tree snakes accidentally introduced after World War II have decimated native bird and lizard populations.

**According to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, in 2005 the United States imported the following numbers of live, wild animals: nearly 88,000 mammals; 259,000 birds; more than 1 million reptiles; more than 5 million amphibians and more than 200 million fish.

**The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora aims to ensure sustainability and humane treatment in the international wildlife trade, but many species are not covered and even covered species may be harmed by trade.

usark.org Unsubscribe Become a Member Donate Developed by
Site Control 24/7

BrittanyS

Hatchling Member
I wasn't trying to be rude but I think everyone here is informed due to the various amount of threads about this exact topic.

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I apologize for posting something that has obviously been posted alot. I am in the process of moving, work full time and go to school full time, so I have not been able to get on and spend some good time on here lately to know all that has been posted. I would like to point out on that note though that just as I have missed out on some posts so may have others. I myself posted something very similar over a month ago, but thought it was important enough an issue to come by real quick and post again wih some new info on it.
I also have information from my work, the dreaded petco, about the mater but seeing as this is a "played out" subject I will save it for those who would like to hear about it.
This thread is over..... you can even delete it in full.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

There really was no need to be quite so short & rude on the post. :shock:
I have made a thread, under the general discussion as an attention post that has the hyperlink of one of the first threads on the HR 669 that we can keep all of the ongoing discussion & anything new that has come up on the subject.
I personally am very interested to see the outcome of this, as it does threaten alot of people's hobby & pet keeping here in the US.

Tracie

irwin'smom

Sub-Adult Member
I think its such a important topic that every other post should be about it to make sure everyone gets annoyed enough to do there part. Its ok if there are multiple posts on it... Here is what I pulled off Fauna, if everyone can hit the phones some more!!
(I personally do not like to have to read through 20 pages to try and find the facts. I do think multiple posts with fewer pages is easier.)

(Copied)
WE MUST READ AND CALL!
HOT OFF THE PRESS: PHONE CALLS MAKING A DIFFERENCE!
admin Phone Calls 2009-04-22
Just got off the phone with Representative Kildees office. Representative Kildee is a co-sponsor of HR 669 as well as a member of the Subcommittee on Insular Affairs, Oceans & Wildlife. The staffer said that Rep Kildee is rethinking his position based on the volume of phone calls his office is receiving that are opposed to HR 669.

A staffer in another of the Representatives offices said that they had gotten more phone calls about HR 669 than the Economic Stimulus bill!!!

Here is a list of all 23 Subcommittee Members that is all over the internet … we’ve added the latest information that we have about where they stand and feedback from our callers around the country. The accounts in red are third party information that may or may not be 100% accurate … but if we heard the same thing from 5 or more people about a call with a Representatives office, we felt that it would be ok to share.

Keep calling! Today and tomorrow morning too! The hearing is at 10AM EST, you can call right up to the hearing!

Remember, PLEASE be polite and PLEASE be respectful. Don’t be afraid to ask how many calls they’ve gotten or where the Representative stands on the issue, you are allowed. Do not forget to thank them for their time when you’re done.

Great job everyone, keep it up!

Madeleine Z. Bordallo (Ch)(NP-Guam)
202/225-1188 - Sponsor of the Bill, For it, Staffers telling people that they are over reacting and that their pets will be safe

Neil Abercrombie (D-HI)
202/225-2726 - Co-Sponsor of the Bill, For it, One staffer told me personally that “it’s going to pass”

Henry Brown (R-SC)
202/225-3176 - Opposes the bill, most vocal opposition on the subcommittee, USARK did a great job with Rep Brown!!

Lois Capps (D-CA)
202/225-3601 - Undecided at this time

William Cassidy (R-LA)
202/225-3901 - Undecided at this time (we need to keep calling and asking for his help!!!)

Jason Chaffetz (R-UT)
202/225-7751 - Strongly opposed!!!

Donna M. Christensen (NP-Virgin Islands)
202/225-1790 - Undecided at this time

Diana L. DeGette (D-CO)
202/225-4431 - Undecided at this time

Eni F.H. Faleomavaega (NP – American Samoa)
202/225-8577 - Undecided at this time

Jeff Flake (R-AZ)
202/225-2635 - Likely to oppose

John Fleming (R-LA)
202/225-2777 - Undecided at this time

Doc Hastings (R-WA)
202/225-5816 - Undecided at this time

Dale E. Kildee (D-MI)
202/225-3611 - Co-Sponsor of the Bill, was For it but due to the volume of calls in opposition is “re-thinking” his position. GET ON HIM!! This can make a huge difference!!!

Ronald James Kind (D-WI)
202/225-5506 - Co-Sponsor, For it

Frank M. Kratovil, Jr. (D-MD)
202/225-5311 - Undecided at this time, Spoke to Legislative staffers and they are very interested in the businesses that would be hurt and why there is such strong opposition.

Douglas L. Lamborn (R-CO)
202/225-4422 - Undecided at this time

Frank J. Pallone, Jr. (D-NJ)
202/225-4671 - For it

Pedro R. Pierluisi (NP-Puerto Rico)
202/225-2615 - Undecided at this time

Nick Joe Rahall, II (D-WV)
202/225-3452 - Undecided at this time

Gregorio Sablan (I- Mariana Islands)
202/225-2646 - Co-Sponsor, For it

Carol Shea-Porter (D-NH)
202/225-5456 - Undecided at this time. Reports that staffers seem agitated by calls.

Robert J. Wittman (R-VA)
202/225-4261 - Opposed

Donald E. Young (R-AK)
202/225-5765 - Undecided at this time

irwin'smom

Sub-Adult Member
Sorry Tracie, I started typing that way before I posted it. I had to go feed my son and came back and hit send. I did not see your post till I posted it.

BrittanyS

Hatchling Member
Drache613":654f9 said:
Hello,

There really was no need to be quite so short & rude on the post. :shock:
I have made a thread, under the general discussion as an attention post that has the hyperlink of one of the first threads on the HR 669 that we can keep all of the ongoing discussion & anything new that has come up on the subject.
I personally am very interested to see the outcome of this, as it does threaten alot of people's hobby & pet keeping here in the US.

Tracie

I said I wasn't trying to be rude. I was just tired of these threads cluttering the board.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The topic has been taken care of, so hopefully we will not be cluttered up on the boards with the same topic.
It was just the manner that you made the comment, short & abrupt. This is a very important topic though so we all had better hope that this bill doesn't pass or it will affect most of us on here.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaineyPoo
Top Bottom