RANT... Why some people should never work retail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

saleen89559

Juvie Member
So I just left my local Petco...... Yeah you know where this is going already!

I was visiting and getting prices on some bulbs today. I had Spike with me on my shoulder and a pair of older ladies asked me about him. They pet him and told me how pretty he was and all that jazz. Then one of them asked me what kind of light, hood and such she would need for her Russian tortoise. I told her to go big, with a 100 watt bulb in a housing with a dimmer. That way she could dial it down if needed and have a large temp range to work with. Her turtle was in a 55gal btw.

My local petco recently hired a new general manager and I have heard nothing but complaints about her from day 1. She was the manager of our local bath and bodyworks which she only took 2 years to run into the ground.

She walks up behind me and in a mean tone says "If you're not on my payroll you can't give anyone advice in my store". Well surely I turned around and said "who are you to tell these ladies who they can talk to? Its not my fault you have 18 employees and only 2 of them know anything about reptiles".

She got pretty hot from that I must say. Then I said, "its bad enough you give bad advice to customers, but you not knowing squat about pets as well just puts the topping on the cake. Maybe if you learned to treat your customers better and trained your employees with 'real' information on pets, then the customers wouldn't feel the need to ask other customers for help in your store"

Then I was asked to leave. The two ladies who were talking to me had about 700 bucks worth of stuff to start an aquarium in their cart and they left the cart there and left at the same time.

valcash

Sub-Adult Member
saleen89559":35fng1nt said:
She walks up behind me and in a mean tone says "If you're not on my payroll you can't give anyone advice in my store".

Then I was asked to leave. The two ladies who were talking to me had about 700 bucks worth of stuff to start an aquarium in their cart and they left the cart there and left at the same time.
Freedom of speech amazingly extends inside of retail stores. Customers are indeed allowed to greet each other and even speak to each other in this day in age if they so wish.

I would write a letter directly to corporate stating something along the lines on how you were happily shopping with your pet as you always do being a regular customer,minding your own business. Another customer asked you a question about your pet and their care, you recommended some products the store carried and she put a bunch of stuff in her cart and you both went on your way. Then out of nowhere a manager told you not speak to anyone in the store and made you leave. Keep it short, but let them know on record leaving a paper trail that rude and pushy behavior was not appreciated and you will no longer being doing business with them and that is why. Also be sure to state the manager's outrageous actions resulted in other customers abandoning their carts and leaving.

Meowser

Hatchling Member
You rock!
Its always nice to have people
who actually know what they are talking about
help when at a pet shop.

Just last night my boyfriend and I
met a breeder infront of the reptiles (big shocker)
and she gave us great info.

Keep on keeping on.

saleen89559

Juvie Member
Original Poster
valcash":13t47z4w said:
saleen89559":13t47z4w said:
She walks up behind me and in a mean tone says "If you're not on my payroll you can't give anyone advice in my store".

Freedom of speech amazingly extends inside of retail stores. Customers are indeed allowed to greet each other and even speak to each other in this day in age if they so wish.

I would write a letter directly to corporate stating something along the lines on how you were happily shopping with your pet as you always do being a regular customer,minding your own business. Another customer asked you a question about your pet and their care, you recommended some products the store carried and she put a bunch of stuff in her cart and you both went on your way. Then out of nowhere a manager told you not speak to anyone in the store and made you leave. Keep it short, but let them know on record leaving a paper trail that rude and pushy behavior was not appreciated and you will no longer being doing business with them and that is why. Also be sure to state the manager's outrageous actions resulted in other customers abandoning their carts and leaving.

I'm doing the next best thing. I have a meeting on Tuesday with the district manager of Petco for this area. In that meeting I plan on expressing this situation at its fullest. On top of that, I will be sending a letter directly to Petco corporate as well.

I have a few reasons for my meeting with that regional manager.

1. Our local store, in an attempt for them to save on their labor budget, they have hired about 10 new people, all of whom have ZERO experience. That is fine in the business sense, but when they are overlooking applications from experienced people on purpose, for the main reason that they can train an inexperienced person to just peddle products, not give advice that will make their customers trust them and frequent their store more often. Maybe this GM doesn't realize that the President just had a law passed baring discrimination during the application and hiring process. I will be sure to bring that up.

2. I am friends with half a dozen of their employees. Each and every one of those employees that I know, have a severely bad opinion of this new GM and she hasn't even been there 2 months yet. All of those employees love when I walk into their store, because even when they can't answer a customer's reptile question, they know that I can answer it and welcome it because by learning from someone experienced, they can better the job they do later on with other customers.

3. I don't take anyone's B.S. Plain and simple. When someone like her, with ZERO experience in a pet store at all, comes up to me and tells me to stop giving someone advice that was "requested from me", I will turn around and give them what they deserve and I am sure to point out their fault on it and how wrong they are.

4. I just added this...

I also plan on bringing up the conditions they allow their animals to live in. Meaning feeding, housing, lighting, and the fact that certain animals should not be housed together for reasons pertaining to their natural behaviors.

saleen89559

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh, I WILL be sharing details.

I plan on making a mess and making Petco corporate clean it up. My biggest problem with this is the fact that I have spent thousands in that store, every employee that I know there welcomes me and my beardies each time I come in, and they all come visit my beardies in the store, and this royal !@#(% decides to be rude to her customers. That is a HUGE NO NO in the retail world. She being a manager should be able to comprehend that 1 person who has a bad experience can tell 12 of their friends not to go there, then those 12 people each tell 12 of their friends, and the chain grows rapidly.

Beardiemama37

Hatchling Member
Eek!! I know all about that! The place where I got Petey quit selling the reptisun 10.0 because it's discontinued in the store. Only exoterra coil bulbs are sold. I took that up with the fella working there and he's goin to take it up with the manager. I'll buy crickets there but i will buy my bulbs elsewhere!

tgolden

Sub-Adult Member
Thats just crazy. I have larned a lot about my dragon by just chating with other owners when i go to the pet store.

Atrax

Sub-Adult Member
That GM needs a slap upside the head!! :angry5: :angry5:
Can't wait to hear how it went at the RM office.

Rud3Bwoy

Sub-Adult Member
petco is a big chain store so the most you can do is try and get her fired,to get the store to go under good luck.12 customers is nothing to a big chain company what's so ever these days

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
Rud3Bwoy":384qi2hk said:
petco is a big chain store so the most you can do is try and get her fired,to get the store to go under good luck.12 customers is nothing to a big chain company what's so ever these days

Yeah what they were saying is if 1 person tells 12 people and they tell 12 people and they tell 12 people... You have 1,729 ticked off people :p

saleen89559

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Multiplication my friend.

1 x 12 = 12
12 x 12 = 144
144 x 12 = 1,728
1,728 x 12 = 20,736

Thats already half the population of my town. :D

Anyway, I am going to stay on this and give updates soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom