Rankins dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
So at my work we were getting low on some reptiles, and bearded dragons being one of them, we needed to order more. so i get the breeders inventory sheet and i noticed that they had no more babies in stock and i was very upset, and we didnt want any more adults. so i scrolled down the sheet and noticed that they had baby rankins dragons and they were on sale for $50. So i told the owner that he had to get a few(we always joke about me being 1/3rd owner of the store) :) and i explained to him what they were. so he ordered a few. I already have a 5month old beardie and me being the good little beardie addict that i am, decided to order one for myself because i have plenty of spare tanks n bulbs n fixtures. So needless to say my little guy will be there tomorrow or thursday and im pretty excited :blob8: does anyone on here own one and if so i would like to hear how they are for ya? Thanks :wink:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OOh nice find!!

I don't know of anyone on here who owns them (or who posts about them regularly) but there usually are a few posting on here looking for them :p

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It is a different breed of bearded dragons.

And by different breed I don't mean different morph. :mrgreen:

-Brandon

Bluebeardie

Original Poster
rankins only get to be about a foot when theyre full grown. instead of the 18-24 you would get with a bearded. and they dont have much of a beard like a bd would have.

Gail

BD.org Addict
They are also more social, they can exist in groups quite nicely. They don't have a expandable beard, its incorrect to call them a type of beardie. There spikes look different, most all have a bow tie design on the back and they keep their baby faces. There care is very close to a beardies but Rankins don't eat quite as many greens.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Gail":3snfb9cr said:
its incorrect to call them a type of beardie.

Can you elaborate on this a bit?

I was always under the impression they were a type of beardie just like there is the eastern bearded dragon etc.
Rankins is a type of pogona isn't it? Or am I mistaking? ( now that I think about it, maybe I am lol)

-Brandon

Fuzzyviper

Hatchling Member
They are in the same genus but I wouldn't classify them as different breeds but different species. Breeds are man-made variations of a domesticated animal. I guess the closest I would call a breed scientifically would be a subspecies? I think they're classified differently because of genetics and physical differences.

As I was typing this up, I found a great picture of the differences in these two species. It is an very unusual stock photo.

400_F_5131916_7YnQTiXHCIGQW0woYtcGepIBEpSwex6c.jpg

Seeing them together makes it more obvious than seeing them separately. My guess is that the species evolved a form of neoteny, which is where a species keeps the juvenile or baby characteristics but can sexual reproduce. An example of this are dogs. Dogs look and act like wolf pups but are sexually mature and can reproduce. Rankins are cute little lizards but I like the size of the more common beardie. More body to snuggle with at night. :wink:

EccentricME

Hatchling Member
Please Excuse me for being a whiny girl x12

OMG they are so cute!!! I waaaaaaaaant one, nooooooooooow!!

Sorry, back to the normal me.....yep, there kinda cute time to research :wink: :study:

Chirple

Hatchling Member
O neat ! I saw some for sale when I was looking for a bearded dragon, I didn't know the difference was that big !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom