Rank for Helpers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllanonsWrath

Sub-Adult Member
Just wondering if we might be able to nominate people for a special "rank". People could be nominated for a Helper rank, that way new people would know that person's advice would be good to follow. The mods are all great helpers, but are not always on when help is being given to newer members. I know a few people that could benefit from such a show of "respect" and it would help new members know when "good" advice is being given.

~Thanks
Jonathan

MissT

BD.org Addict
I want a rank.... personally, I want it to say 'bd.org pirate' in a nice little box below my avatar LOL! :lol:

AllanonsWrath

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
MissT":2c5cb306 said:
I want a rank.... personally, I want it to say 'bd.org pirate' in a nice little box below my avatar LOL! :lol:
You're not helping troll :p

Seriously though, it's a good idea right?

MissT

BD.org Addict
AllanonsWrath":wkfimvyl said:
MissT":wkfimvyl said:
You're not helping troll :p

Seriously though, it's a good idea right?

LOL! But it amused me greatly.... Brandon would totally get it ;)

It is a good idea.
Or maybe like a 'thumbs up' thing where members can rate advice etc if that makes sense?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
MissT":oo5vwhq9 said:

Yeah!!

Christina I thought you were gonna ask Alex to give us a pirate rank anyways!! :(

OR was that why we decided to put pirate smiles in our pictures? lol :mrgreen:

But now that im done hijacking this thread (like a good pirate does) I do think its an ok idea. It wouldn't hurt anything IMO.

As long as we don't get into something like "reps" like some forums do. Where other members can basically give reputation points to people, the forum turns into one giant reputation wanting place, where people are just wanting people to rep them up. That would be annoying and i'm totally against that lol.

-Brandon

AllanonsWrath

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yea it'd be better if people could not apply for or gain anything from the rank. Have to be nominated by say 3-5 people before you get that rank and continue to be an active helper to hold it?

MissT

BD.org Addict
claudiusx":95bimix1 said:
MissT":95bimix1 said:

Yeah!!

Christina I thought you were gonna ask Alex to give us a pirate rank anyways!! :(

OR was that why we decided to put pirate smiles in our pictures? lol :mrgreen:

But now that im done hijacking this thread (like a good pirate does) I do think its an ok idea. It wouldn't hurt anything IMO.

As long as we don't get into something like "reps" like some forums do. Where other members can basically give reputation points to people, the forum turns into one giant reputation wanting place, where people are just wanting people to rep them up. That would be annoying and i'm totally against that lol.

-Brandon

We were going to ask.... then we decided that Alex is busy enough here so we just put our little pirate smilies in, in the hopes that SOMEONE would see them and realise that we need actual pirate status LOL! Clearly people do not notice what wonderful pirates we are, Brandon. Even right now, we are showing a wonderful example of how good we are at hijacking the bd.org ship.

And now, back to the real point of this thread (before Jonathan gets mad)... those reps do sound annoying. But maybe it could be left to mods to actually 'rate' members based on experience rather than just specific posts/a points system. I dont even think what I am writing makes sense (and its nowhere near 2am yet :? )

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Alex is going to get mad at us for chatting in the Website comments section Christina! :|
Then he will never give us BD. ORG Pirate rank :(

Remember last time we had a semi-chat thread in website comments that got to like 200 posts and Alex locked it because for each post in WC he gets an e mail :silent: Actually... that was why the ROTC thread got created lol.

Sorry Alex!@ :help:

-Brandon

MissT

BD.org Addict
But Alex hasnt commented on this one yet, so he wont be getting the notifications yet (I dont think lol!)
AND, we have always reverted back to the topic of the original post so I think we are all good here :wink:

OOPS.... am I still hijacking :eek:

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Oddly, I haven't seen it until now. Maybe it was posted in a different forum originally? I watch the Website Comments forum most closely.

I think the idea is good, but the biggest issue I see with it, as someone already noted, it would become a popularity contest, as well as people putting focus on getting more votes to obtain the special rank. Even if there's no added features or benefits, the mere fact that there'd be come visible "rank" would be the benefit people would strive for... status.

Now, I can think of better ways for this to work, but it isn't something that is easily implemented without having major modifications (MODs) to the forum software. And some people already know how I feel about modifying the software (maintenance mess/nightmare). But it would be nice if an original poster had the option of indicating which 1-3 posts were the most helpful. This would be similar to sites like Yahoo! Answers or Ask.com, where the person asking the question marks which one is the "best answer". BUT, that's not something I see being implementable with the features phpBB has built-in.

-Alex

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
claudiusx":te8mlvz9 said:
Alex is going to get mad at us for chatting in the Website comments section Christina! :|
Nah. This forum is the place for topics such as this. :)

AllanonsWrath

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Fair enough. There's been a rash of people giving questionable advice and I was trying to think of a way to avoid this. I do understand the popularity contest aspect of it as well. Maybe if it was only controlled by you and the mods, as a sort of "staff" position. This would make it seem more like a job and not a benefit.

MissT

BD.org Addict
beardie":1emu3o71 said:
But it would be nice if an original poster had the option of indicating which 1-3 posts were the most helpful. This would be similar to sites like Yahoo! Answers or Ask.com, where the person asking the question marks which one is the "best answer". BUT, that's not something I see being implementable with the features phpBB has built-in.

-Alex

The problem with that though, is that there has been an 'influx' of 'know-it-alls' lately. OP's often just go with whatever poster agreed with what they said, even if it is totally incorrect information. Then, those of us who have been there, done it and seen the consequences are totally disregarded because people only want to hear what makes them feel good about themselves... if that makes sense?

AllanonsWrath

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
MissT":1an6vctt said:
beardie":1an6vctt said:
But it would be nice if an original poster had the option of indicating which 1-3 posts were the most helpful. This would be similar to sites like Yahoo! Answers or Ask.com, where the person asking the question marks which one is the "best answer". BUT, that's not something I see being implementable with the features phpBB has built-in.

-Alex

The problem with that though, is that there has been an 'influx' of 'know-it-alls' lately. OP's often just go with whatever poster agreed with what they said, even if it is totally incorrect information. Then, those of us who have been there, done it and seen the consequences are totally disregarded because people only want to hear what makes them feel good about themselves... if that makes sense?

I agree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom