Rancid smelling, light-grayish poop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was holding Reptar today, and I failed to catch her in time to prevent her from pooping on my shirt. I did notice, however, the the smell from her poop was unusually rancid, like if you took rotten meat, and mixed it with sulfur. Also, her urates came out fine, and the poop part was solid, but it was covered in a light grayish film, that seemed to be part of the bodily waste. On a related note, she also spurt out liquid from her vent that was cloudy in nature, and also smelled bad. Is this normal?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
When the poop smells unusually bad like that, it's usually a sign of a problem (parasites most likely). I suggest getting a fresh sample and bringing it to a vet. They can do a test on it to determine the issue. It's quick and relatively cheap. If it does turn out to be parasites, they can usually be easily treated with medication.

JasonBreen

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3gcjuc9u said:
When the poop smells unusually bad like that, it's usually a sign of a problem (parasites most likely). I suggest getting a fresh sample and bringing it to a vet. They can do a test on it to determine the issue. It's quick and relatively cheap. If it does turn out to be parasites, they can usually be easily treated with medication.
She was diagnosed with a high coccidia count before, and a amount of pinworms, but the vet wants to wait to see if they die out normally, before starting the meds again, they nearly killed her last time.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What meds did the vet give last time? Albon can be particularly harsh on their health but you could try Ponazuril or Tolturazil (same) for an anti-coccidial agents which is much less hard on the system. It usually knocks out the levels in a single dose many times.
Did you give probiotics also while she was on meds last time?

Tracie

JasonBreen

Original Poster
Drache613":3h9clom5 said:
Hello,

What meds did the vet give last time? Albon can be particularly harsh on their health but you could try Ponazuril or Tolturazil (same) for an anti-coccidial agents which is much less hard on the system. It usually knocks out the levels in a single dose many times.
Did you give probiotics also while she was on meds last time?

Tracie
The vet tried a cocktail of Panacur C, at 0.03 mL, and Albon at 0.05 mL. I didnt start her on the Acidophiliz+, until after we got her off the meds, which was 3 days after the vet first prescribed it. Other than the weird poop, she seems to be doing okay, and is energetic.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The Panacur shouldn't be too hard on her but the Albon usually is.
You could get another fecal done on her just to see what the levels are. At least she is still active & basking though. Is her appetite good also?
You can use the probiotic during the medication round & for up to a couple of weeks or so after the last dose of meds, too.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

JasonBreen

Original Poster
Drache613":2j23afhf said:
Hello,

The Panacur shouldn't be too hard on her but the Albon usually is.
You could get another fecal done on her just to see what the levels are. At least she is still active & basking though. Is her appetite good also?
You can use the probiotic during the medication round & for up to a couple of weeks or so after the last dose of meds, too.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie
She ate about 48 crickets four days ago, and hasn't paid attention to her prey since she pooped, which was 2 days ago.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, perhaps she had some trouble digesting all of those crickets? Was that the first time she had gone to the bathroom since she ate all of them?
How is she doing today?
Maybe try giving some extra oral fluids, if possible, to see if that helps out.

Tracie

JasonBreen

Original Poster
Drache613":11vmpc33 said:
Hello,

Well, perhaps she had some trouble digesting all of those crickets? Was that the first time she had gone to the bathroom since she ate all of them?
How is she doing today?
Maybe try giving some extra oral fluids, if possible, to see if that helps out.

Tracie
She's doing good today. She shedded, and pooped yesterday. I might have to change the sand though, since it is smelling.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would get rid of the sand because it's difficult to keep sanitary. It harbors bacteria which can cause infection. A solid substrate like ceramic tile or non adhesive shelf liner would be a better idea because it's much easier to keep clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom