Quite Concerned about Mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotoBug

Juvie Member
Thanks for helping...my Fiona is sleeping now but before she went down I captured this photo of the inside of her mouth....it's very yellow. Shouldn't it be pink?? She always has bit of a puffy beard with a little black in it so I've always been concerned. Should I wake her and take her to the vet? I just don't want to overlook something. Thanks so much for any help.
75750-5716495821.jpg
75750-4098934326.jpg

PhotoBug

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Not sure why this posted twice. Sorry about that. Hoping Diane takes a look at my baby's mouth.

PhotoBug

Juvie Member
Original Poster
No one? Well decided to take her to the vet. We have a Monday appointment. My only issue is that she is now brumating so I'm not sure if I should disturb her. Just not sure if I should wait. Ugh.....hate this! If anyone has any advice, I would surely appreciate it.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....I'm sorry this was overlooked ! I have seen beardies with more of a yellow tinge, but not too often. Has she been acting O.K otherwise ? More thirsty than usual ? You might p.m Drache613 to get her input. Not sure that it's a real problem but it may be showing that something's off.

PhotoBug

Juvie Member
Original Poster
She is normally very active...I say normally because now she is sleeping. She hears me tho and will crack open her eyes unlike my other one who brumated very deeply.

She slowed down her eating prior to brumating so now it's hard to tell if anything changed that wasn't due to brumation.

I have noticed that she looks a bit swollen in the throat. Now I don't know whether I should disturb her sleep. I'm
Concerned.

I will message her. To see what she suggests. Thank you for replying.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome....and the more I look at it, it does not seem to be out of the normal range of color. Some beardies just do have that mouth coloration. If she was acting fine before brumation then she is healthy. :) I wouldn't worry about it.

PhotoBug

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you. I went to a reptile show today and showed the pics to some experts there. They concurred with what you are saying as well. They went so far as to open the beardies mouths that they had there. I have to say tho that they were all pink. one breeder suggested I bump up her temps to see if she wakes up and try to feed her and if she wakes for a bit take her to the vet if I'm still
Concerned. I think I will give it some time. I wouldn't have even noticed it or anything was wrong unless I had taken that picture of her regulating her body temp. Maybe Diane will chime in too.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Most of their mouths/gums are pink. However, there are some dragons that have some yellowish pigmentation which is a recessive trait of Pogona Barbata. It is a defensive trait used in the wild to appear more threatening.
Since she is brumating, it may be hard to get an accurate blood test since their levels can vary when brumating. That would be the best way to diagnose any liver issue that could be going on, to get a blood test done.

Tracie

PhotoBug

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Tracie...thanks. Had you and Diane mixed up. :roll:

I'm going to wait a bit and hope she wakes up. Taking her out today to hydrate her. These beardies sure make you worry!!

I ran into Vicky from Dachiu Dragons yesterday....bought her from Vicky. Told her she is doing great and asked about her mouth. She had said that if she acted normally before going down, she is most likely ok so I feel a bit better on just letting her sleep especially if her levels will be off anyway due to
Brumation.

When she wakes up and starts eating, vet visit will be first on the list!

Thanks so much for replying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamiegates
Top Bottom