Questions Another Dubia thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyperc

Well, I am really sick of dealing with crickets...And Dubia seems to to be way to go, Now for the questions

1. What do i order just large mixed or what?

2. After I get them do I put them all in one container?

3. How long does it really take to breed them without buying anymore feeders? I have a veiled chameleon thats 7 months old and my bearded thats little over 2 months

4. Do you still dust them for feeding everyday still?

5. Once they start breeding and laying eggs, Are they all safe in one housing?

6. How fast are they, And will they walk up screened cages?

7. How do I get the wife to ok it :) I am not excited about them either

Thanks for your time and help!

AmStaffPit

1. What do i order just large mixed or what? ----- The best ratio is 5 females to 1 male. I would also recommend at least 150 mixed. I am not sure what the rules are on here about posting websites for breeders so just search. There are a couple out there where you can purchase females and males seperately. On average, an adult female will have 30 babies a month. I started a colony (25F, 5M, 150 mixed sizes) about a month ago but i dont plan on feeding from it for about another 4 months or so. There other posts throughout the forums that give calculations for how many females you need to sustain a colony while feeding.

2. After I get them do I put them all in one container? YES!!!! Keep them in one container. The babies eat the poop (fras) of the others.

3. How long does it really take to breed them without buying anymore feeders? I have a veiled chameleon thats 7 months old and my bearded thats little over 2 months. ----- Refer to question one.

4. Do you still dust them for feeding everyday still? ----- I dust mine.

5. Once they start breeding and laying eggs, Are they all safe in one housing? ----- Yes. Just keep an eye on the adult males. If you start seeing an abundance of males get rid of them. Having to many male can damage the colony.

6. How fast are they, And will they walk up screened cages? ----- They can move pretty fast and yes they will climb the screen cages used for Chameleons. I feed my dragon crickets in a 5 1/2" wide by 1" deep stainless steel dog dish and they dont get out unless Rango jumps in the dish which happens occasionally. I also but a couple roaches in it every once in a while and they dont escape either. So I recommend doing that.

7. How do I get the wife to ok it :) I am not excited about them either ----- Sorry for that there is no way to make the wife OK it. It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. So I just did it.

Once again I am no expert. This is just stuff that I have learned over the last years of reading these forums.

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
---
1. What do i order just large mixed or what?

It depends on how much you're willing to spend and how fast you want the colony to be sustainable.

Buying a large quantity of mixed nymphs is usually cheaper than buying breeding age adult females,
but you'll have to wait for them to grow up and start breeding.

For my colony, I started with 50 Adult Females, 10 Adult Males, and 200 Large Nymphs (so they were only a few weeks from adulthood).

---
2. After I get them do I put them all in one container?

Yep. The easiest way to handle a smaller colony is to have 2 largish rubbermaid/sterilite bins (with lids). Use one bin for your
"breeder" bin and keep most of the colony in there. Use the other bin for your "feeder" bin and that's where you keep the ones you
are planning on feeding to your animals. Then you can transfer about a month's worth of feeders at a time from the breeder bin
to the feeder bin (once the colony is established of course). That way you're only bothering the females in the breeder bin about
once a month instead of constantly.

---
3. How long does it really take to breed them without buying anymore feeders? I have a veiled chameleon thats 7 months old and my bearded thats little over 2 months

That depends on how many adult females you start with and how many feeders you need per month.

Each adult female will give birth (on average) to about 25 babies per month (it's actually about 30-40 babies per 40-50 days...but that averages to about 25 or so per month for ease of math).

So you take how ever many nymphs you need per month and divide by 25. That's the minimum quantity of breeding females you need,
and you actually want to go a bit higher than that so there are always extra babies that don't get fed off and are allowed to grow up to
be your next generation of breeders.

It takes about 5-6 months to go from baby to breeding adult, and usually about 2-3 months for baby to proper sized feeder (depending on
how big your feeders need to be). At a minimum you need to wait for the 1st generation to reach proper feeding size, after you
have enough adult females.

If you buy all the adult females you need, then you only need to wait that 2-3 months or so. If you have to have some nymphs
grow up to adult females, then that adds more time.

---
4. Do you still dust them for feeding everyday still?

Yes, Dubia need to be gut-loaded and dusted just like crickets.

---
5. Once they start breeding and laying eggs, Are they all safe in one housing?

Yes. In fact they prefer it that way. The only real issues you will have is that you need to keep your
female to male (adults) ratio at about 5 - 1. Too many males and they will start fighting each other
(plus they just eat up resources and don't help the colony). And you want to disturb the females as little
as possible. Too much stress can cause them to abort thier egg sacks (but that does take quite a bit of stress).

---
6. How fast are they, And will they walk up screened cages?

Fast is relative. They aren't as fast or hard to catch as escaped crickets though. Most of the time, any
that get dropped or knocked out of the bin while I'm working just fall and stay there, sometimes they take off
though and they certainly seem a lot quicker when one of my dragons is chasing them :)

They can't climb very well and smooth plastic or glass will stop them.

The nymphs climb better than the adults, but a strip of smooth packing tape at the top of the bin
will pretty much prevent the few climbers that make it up the sides to begin with.

Screens, cardboard, textured plastic, the silicon seams of a cage, etc they can climb.

--
7. How do I get the wife to ok it :) I am not excited about them either

For myself, I pointed out how much cheaper a working colony is than buying feeders constantly.

Also, call them Dubia and not "roaches", that helps sometimes.

Point out that they:
Don't stink (let her smell your cricket keeper after a few days)
Don't climb or fly
Don't make noise (have her listen to a cricket keeper full of crickets after dark)
Don't bite or chew on your dragon
Are easy to catch if any do get away from you
Won't infest your house (they won't really breed at normal room temps and tend to just die after a day or two
if you haven't caught them)

My wife hated the idea, but she agreed to it (as long as I'm the one taking care of them). At first she didn't
even want to feed them to the dragons, but now she reaches in and grabs them for feeding purposes, but that's
more due to the way Mellow has grabbed her heartstrings than to accepting the buggies.

hyperc

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info :) I was looking to order from buydubiaroaches....com So would 50 mixed and 50 large be a good start? I do still have about 300 crickets and superworms

Thanks again

czuber

Hatchling Member
I would check out CNS feeders on Facebook. They run auctions all the time. I ordered from them and they were fast getting them to me.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/386911501320751/

Took my colony about 3 months to really kick in. Now it's going great. My wife doesn't mind it now that I'm not spending 10 bucks a week on crix. I just keep the bin in my utility room in the basement.

hyperc

Original Poster
Well after looking and looking I ordered 250 mix sex from Westcoast...Should I be good to go?

czuber

Hatchling Member
How many Adult females were included? 250 will be a good start if there is some adults. I would just let them do their thing for about 3 months. If you have to wait for adults it could be awhile.

Here was my first post after getting my starter set. It was in Oct. Just recently I feel my colony can sustain my two Beardies and Chameleon

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=179945

hyperc

Original Poster
Thats a good question and yet I have no idea Although this is what the description says...A mixture of sizes and sex. Sizes range from 1/4 to 3/4 inch.Will contain male and female Dubia roaches.This package can be used for feeding or breeding Dubia Roaches...I guess if need be I'll get more

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
With a mixed set of nymphs, you never know what you'll get (male/female countwise).
You will more than likely end up with a good starter base for the colony though.

However, at 1/4 to 3/4 of an inch, those nymphs are about 2 months old at best.

That means you'll have 3-4 months before you have breeding adults even starting
to grow the colony. Then it'll take probably 3-4 months after that before you can
use the colony for feeding.

If you're willing to wait that long, then I'd say you'll be fine. If not, then you might
want to invest in buying some quantity of adult females and males to speed things along.

hyperc

Original Poster
Hey, does anyone know if its safe to leave my bin on top off my DVR cablebox? It seems like very good free heat

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
Yep, I've seen several folks say they do that to get "free" heat.

Just keep an eye on the temps in there as it may not be enough heat
(or I guess it could get too hot, but I think that's unlikely).

And make sure that your cable box still has good air ventilation when
the bin is sitting on it (don't want to burn out your box).

hyperc

Original Poster
This has been only a 12hr test Temps at this moment are 86 last night was pretty steady at 92 so would that be ok? The temps coming off the cablebox were around 107 tops

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
Well, I guess as long as you watch a lot of TV, those temps will be fine. :mrgreen:

As long as temps inside the bin stay above 80 and below 110 they'll thrive.

(below 80 but above 65 they will stay alive, but will breed much slower or even not at all).

FYI: if you get tired of seeing the bin (or smelling it -- they do have a slight odor, it's not strong but it does exist)
you can always move it to a closet, basement, garage, etc,
and use a non-auto-shutoff human heating pad (on medium usually) to keep temps up.

hyperc

Original Poster
I plan on putting them in my back hall during the summer...I got one problem now, Rex won't eat crickets anymore I put just 7 in there today for over 1 hr and will not eat one switched them out with dubia and he eats
I mean I'm glad he likes the roaches put wasn't planning on him to stop eating the crickets yet...
Also as far as feeding the Dubia my plans are Raisin bran and oatmeal daily and a mix of greens, orange and apple like every second day...Does that sound ok for feeding and breeding?

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
For your "feeding" bin (ie the ones you'e seperated out to be fed off within a few weeks),
that would be fine. You want to gutload the dubias with good stuff that you want your
dragon to be eating for about 24-72 hours before you feed them to the dragon.

For your "breeding" bin, that would be OK as the supplemental food (I feed both of my bins
good stuff at all times), but you'll also need a high-protein "roach chow" mix or else they will
start to cannabilize each other.

For my "roach chow" I use this:

2 cups high-protein dry kitten food (kitten food is like 40% protein)
1/2 cup plain oatmeal (quaker oats)
1/2 cup Special K or GrapeNuts cereal (because that's what we eat -- any good vitamin type cereal is OK)
1/8 cup fish food flakes (I just dump in about 1/3 of those little canisters of flakes)
2-3 tablespoons brown sugar

Take everything and grind it up to a fine powder in a cheap-o coffee grinder.
Toss into a big baggie and viola!

Other people have thier own mixes -- but the main thing is that it be high in protein, made up of dry materials
(wet food is a great way to get mold, and mold will kill your colony really quickly), and have a good mix of
vitamins and stuff. The brown sugar is to make them like it more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sohaiko
Top Bottom